These tasty gluten free Quinoa Chives Fish Cakes are made with cod and garlicky Chinese chives. They are wonderful as an appetizer, snack, or light meal.
Ro-Taro (eldest son) loves fish cakes. It is almost like a staple for him as I often freeze a whole lot similar to these Pan Fried Salmon Rice Cakes for him to take back to college. I was delighted when he suggested these tasty Quinoa Chives Fish Cakes. I must say it was a fantastic idea! I had not thought of it before and I was eager to give it a try.
Quinoa cakes are tasty little bites. When fried, quinoa turns deliciously nutty. The challenge though is to get it to bind together as quinoa is generally quite fluffy. I used a cooked besan (chickpea flour) mixture as a binder in these Spice Quinoa Corn Patties. This time round, I decided to try with eggs instead.
For some reason, the patties just would not stay together. The first patty disintegrated in the pan. I had to add something or risk turning the entire batch into a stir fry. All was not lost as I quickly whipped up some besan mixture. It was a little moist and the flavor changed ever so slightly but the patties stayed together after that…phew! 🙂 The eggs did give the patties a nice flavor.
Chinese chives are a little more leafy than their western counterpart. They have a distinct garlicky flavor and are often used in egg, dumpling, and noddle dishes. They are usually sold in bunches at the Asian grocery stores as a vegetable and not an herb. Do rinse them in lots of water as they can be a little gritty. I like to trim the ends and remove all bruised leaves before soaking them in a sink full of water. This way they get a thorough washing.
Needless to say, these Quinoa Chives Fish Cakes were very popular at our house. The two boys made short work of them. I had to stash away a few for Ro-Ri San. Stay tuned for an idea from Ro-Jiro (second son) coming up in the near future.
- 1 cup (200g) quinoa
- 12 oz (340g) cod
- 3 to 4 slices of lemon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 oz (30g) Chinese chives, thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp vegenaise or mayonnaise
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp besan (chickpea flour)
- Rinse quinoa until water runs clear. Drain and place in a medium sized pan. Add 2 cups (480ml) water. Place on the stove and bring water to a boil. Reduce heat and let quinoa simmer until all water is absorbed, about 15 minutes. Turn off heat. Transfer quinoa to a large bowl.
- While quinoa is cooking, fill a medium sized pan with about ½ inch water. Place lemon slices in the pan and bring it to a boil. Add cod, salt, and pepper. Place the lid, reduce heat to medium low and allow fish to poach for 6 to 7 minutes. Remove and drain.
- Flake fish and transfer to bowl with cooked quinoa. Add chives, vegenaise or mayonnaise, eggs, salt, and pepper. Mix all ingredients together.
- In a small saucepan, combine besan and ½ cup (120ml) water. Cook stirring until thick and bubbly, about 2 minutes.
- Remove and pour into quinoa mixture. Mix well.
- When cool enough to handle, shape and compact into patties. Pan fry in a large non-stick fry pan with a little oil for 6 to 7 minutes on each side. Fry in two batches if necessary.
- Serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎