Broiled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus are just the perfect finger food. They are fun to eat and so delicious paired with a glass of fruity white wine. They can be easily made ahead of time and cooked just before serving. It takes only minutes under the broiler!
Always choose asparagus with firm, straight, and smooth stalks. Ridges in the stem and limp or dry stalks are indication of old age. Asparagus should be a bright green in color with tightly closed buds. Avoid those with open or seedy tips. Since they deteriorate rapidly, asparagus should be used within 2 to 3 days of purchase.
Asparagus spears may be thick or thin. I prefer the thicker variety but it is a matter of preference and not quality. Thicker spears can have tougher or woodier ends but these are broken or cut off and discarded before cooking. If you choose the thinner variety, you may want to wrap 2 or 3 spears together instead of just one. Cooking time should be about the same.
- 1 lb (450g) asparagus, trimmed
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 package (6 oz/ 170g) prosciutto di parma, cut into half lengthwise
- Preheat broiler with a rack placed 6 inches from heating element.
- Place asparagus onto a shallow baking tray. Lightly sprinkle with salt and pepper. Then drizzle with extra virgin olive oil. Toss until spears are evenly coated. Transfer to a plate.
- Starting just under the scaled tip of each asparagus spear, wrap a slice of prosciutto in a spiral towards the cut end. Place onto the baking tray in a single layer. Repeat with remaining asparagus. You may have to place on 2 baking trays or cook in 2 separate batches.
- Place baking tray with asparagus in the oven and broil for about 3 minutes. Remove baking tray from oven and flip the asparagus. Return to oven and broil until prosciutto is crisped and browned, about 3 minutes more.
- Serve immediately.
Fortunately, asparagus are available almost year round with the peak in April. I actually made these Broiled Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus for our New Year’s celebration but they would also be lovely for you and your sweetheart on Valentine’s Day. Do give it a try!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎