After three months of deep freeze spring is finally in the air! One of the first signs of spring at the grocery store is the appearance of asparagus. I picked up a bunch two days for this delicious Sesame Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry. Thin juicy slices of top sirloin steaks are paired with tender crisp asparagus in this quick and easy stir fry, perfect for weeknight meals.
Before we get on to the recipe, I am excited to share a new feature on this blog with you. I have partnered with ZipList so that you can easily save all your favorite Roti n Rice recipes in your very own personalized recipe box. Not just Roti n Rice recipes but also from your other favorite food blogs in one convenient location. How cool is that? This will definitely make your menu planning and grocery shopping so much easier.
To save a recipe from Roti n Rice, simply click the blue “Save Recipe” button at the top of any recipe you want to save.
My Chicken Wild Rice Soup is now saved to your Recipe Box. From here, you can now add all the ingredients needed for this recipe into your Shopping List.
It will generate a categorized Grocery List for you to make your shopping so much more efficient. Those little blue squares with the dollar sign will tell you when and where something is on sale at grocery stores near you.
You can also drag saved recipes in your Recipe Box into your weekly Meal Planner. This is seriously awesome! If you aren’t already a Ziplist member, click on the Recipe Box in the menu bar above to set it up. It only takes a few seconds and it is FREE. Then come right back and populate your Recipe Box with some of your favorite Roti n Rice recipes like this Sesame Beef and Asparagus Stir Fry. Go on, give it a try! I promise you will love it.
Now, back to this recipe. There is no need to parboil the asparagus. Simply saute them in the pan with a tablespoon of oil to keep them nice and crisp. Remove and only add them back to the pan towards the end of cooking.
- 1 lb (450g) flank (often sold as stir-fry beef) or top sirloin steak still partially frozen
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp Shao Hsing cooking wine
- ¼ tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 2-in knob ginger, peeled
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 pips garlic, minced
- 1 lb (450g) asparagus, trimmed and cut diagonally into 2 inch pieces
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 2 tsp sesame seeds, toasted
- Trim fat from around beef. Slice against the grain as thinly as possible. Place sliced beef in a bowl. Grate ginger over chicken. Mix in soy sauce, Shao Hsing cooking wine, black pepper, and cornstarch. Allow beef to marinade in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat a wok or large pan with 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Add red asparagus and stir-fry for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add remaining oil into the pan. Sauté minced garlic for 30 seconds. Add beef by spreading it out in the pan. Fry for 2 minutes.
- Return cooked asparagus to the pan. Stir to get everything well mixed. This takes about 2 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Drizzle sesame oil and sprinkle sesame seeds onto beef.
- Remove and serve immediately with steamed rice.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎