- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 package smokies or cocktail sausages, cut into halves (13 oz/370g)
- 1 large onion (cubed)
- 2 large carrots (cut into coins)
- 2 sticks celery (cut cross-wise into ¼ inch thick slices)
- ¼ tsp dried thyme
- 6 cups ham stock or chicken stock (1.5 liters)
- 8 oz mushrooms (stems removed and sliced) (225g)
- 1 cup wild rice (cooked) (6 oz/170g)
- 3 medium potatoes (peeled and cubed)
- 1 cup milk (240ml)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tbsp cornstarch mixed with ¼ cup (60ml) water
Heat vegetable oil in a large heavy pot. Brown sausages for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
In the same pot, sauté onion, carrots, and celery for 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in dried thyme.
Pour in ham or chicken stock. Bring soup to a boil.
Add button mushrooms, cooked wild rice, and potatoes. Allow soup to come back up to a boil. Cover, reduce heat and continue to simmer for 30 minutes.
Return browned sausages to the pot. Add milk and season with salt and pepper. Bring soup back up to a gentle boil.
Stir in cornstarch mixture to thicken soup. Turn off heat.
Serve warm with crusty bread.
Serving: 4g | Calories: 682kcal