Chili con Carne and Tomato Rice

Chili con Carne and Tomato Rice

Most families that I know here, have some kind of Chili con Carne recipe, known simply as chili here. In fact, it is something that they can put together intuitively without referring to any set recipe. Through practise and experience, it just gets better. It is also one of those dishes that can be made on short notice as most people would have the ingredients in the pantry and freezer.

Chili is a real crowd pleaser. Many a potluck and gathering feature this ever popular dish. There are even office and community chili cook-outs with a prize for the best chili. It can be eaten with with tacos, corn chips, bread, and crackers. Often times, it is used as a sauce over hotdogs and burgers.

Chili con Carne and Tomato Rice

I like to serve it with tomato rice, salsa, and a black bean and corn salad. Garnishes include shredded cheese, lettuce, slices of tomatoes, and sour cream. A side of corn chips completes the meal.

Chili con Carne and Tomato Rice

Through the years I have adjusted the recipe to make it my own. Ro-Ri San came home one day from an office chili cookout and suggested adding a little cooking chocolate to give the chili a richer, deeper flavor. Since then, I was told that others considered chocolate a “secret” ingredient…..shhhhh! It all makes sense as chocolate and peppers were ancient Mexican ingredients. Today, cocoa chili blends can be found in spice jars.

Chili Con Carne and Tomato Rice

• ½ tsp dried basil
  • ¼ tsp pepper
  • 1 can (15.5 oz/440g) dark red kidney beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 can (14.5 oz/410g)) diced tomato
  • 1 can (8oz/227g) tomato sauce
  • 1 tsp brown sugar
  • 1 tsp salt (or to taste)
  • 1 oz semi-sweet baking chocolate
For Tomato Rice
  • 2 cups (400g) long grain rice, rinsed and drained
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 tsp cumin seeds
  • 1 cup diced tomatoes with juice
  • 2 cups (480ml) water
  • 1 cup (140g) frozen green peas
  • 1 tsp salt
  1. In a large medium pot, heat oil. Sauté onion, garlic, and jalapeno peppers until tender. Add beef and cook until lightly brown. Add chili seasoning, paprika, cumin, basil, and pepper.
  2. Stir in kidney beans, diced tomatoes, and tomato sauce. Bring to a boil, add sugar, salt, and chocolate. Reduce heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. If it gets too thick, add ½ cup water.
For Tomato Rice
  1. In a pot, add olive oil. Sauté onions and garlic until soft. Add cumin and rice, stir to mix well with onions and garlic, about 2 minutes.
  2. Pour in diced tomatoes and water. Bring to a boil, add green peas and salt. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 10 to 15 minutes or until all water is absorbed.
  3. Turn heat down to the lowest setting and leave pot on stove for another 5 minutes. Turn off heat, remove pot. Let sit for 10 minutes. Serve warm.

Chili con Carne and Tomato Rice
NOTE: This post was updated on September 20th, 2013 with new pictures.

Comments

1. Cristina says

I think we had the same things in mind this weekend! Perfect timing for Cinco de Mayo. Wish I had some right now!

2. lequan@luvtoeat says

I love chili on a cool rainy day or a cold winter day. This is for sure on my list of comfort foods. And for me, the spicier the better :-P Your recipe sounds delicious Biren. I'm going to have to book mark this cause you're making me crave for chili.

3. Reeni says

Chili is such a great comfort meal. Especially the way you serve it with all these extra goodies alongside! The tomato rice sounds perfect with it.

4. denise fletcher says

Wow!! Love the new comment system, the new banner and that dancing Mexican hat LOL Felize Cinco de Mayo, btw. Lovely post for the coming day! Haven't been eating much lately but your gorgeous post is already awakening my appetite ;)

5. XiaoYen says

I don't eat beef so for my chili, I always use turkey instead. The semi sweet chocolate is a big surprise for me here! And tomato rice, very tempting :) I need to try it out, never had it before.

6. Joy Zhang says

Biren I LOVE Chili — it is my hubster's signature dish. That and spaghetti. :)

Yours looks awesome, I am loving that you chose to serve it with tomato rice. I will have to put his butt to work this weekend, I think after this post, I need a chili fix!

7. Mary says

This really looks wonderful. I love chili and this would be perfect for Cico de Mayo. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

8. Stella says

Biren, I love this-it looks just like my Mom's chili. I might have to make this even though I'm generally trying to avoid meat. This looks too good, and you even put corn chips next to it like my Mom always did-everything's the same from my childhood (smile)…

9. rotinrice says

Thanks Lazaro! I have always paired chili with this tomato rice. The family enjoys it this way :)

10. rotinrice says

Thanks Angie! Chili is comfort food for us. I cook it quite often during the colder months.

11. rotinrice says

Thanks Cristina! Yes, your Spanish rice looks really appetizing too. I love flavored rice as it can be eaten on its own.

12. rotinrice says

Thanks LeQuan! I am with you there. Chili is definitely good on rainy and wintry days. I like it spicy but have to tamper it because of the boys.

13. rotinrice says

I have to agree with you Roxan. Snowboarding makes one hungry. We used to do a lot of snow shoeing followed by a lot of eating (!?!)

14. rotinrice says

Thanks Chul! Maybe you can try making it and surprise your mom and dad. Thanks for visiting :)

15. rotinrice says

Thanks Stella! Perhaps you can use meat stock instead and make it kind of vegetarian. I think it will still be tasty.

16. Jessie says

I cook chili when the weather starts to be nippy and I also put chocolate in mine. Will try to cook the tomato rice in a rice cooker. Sounds wonderful!

Trackbacks