Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce

Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce

Whether you are taking Mom out for lunch or dinner this weekend, it is still nice to be able to prepare a little something for a more intimate time at home. A leisurely breakfast or afternoon tea is a wonderful way for the family to get together to honor and appreciate Mom. These small meals need not be elaborate and some can be prepared ahead. Remember to make it as stress free as possible and to enjoy the time spent together.

Simple breakfast ideas, from left to right: Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups, Gluten-Free Banana Blueberry Muffins, and Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwiches.

Breakfast ideas

Tea time ideas, from left to right: Strawberry Sour Cream Scones, Lavender Almond Cookies, and Vegetable Samosas.

Tea time ideas

A dessert is always welcomed. Panna cotta is light and elegant. Best of all, it begs to be made ahead. The orange sauce that accompanies this fragrant, creamy goodness is simply delightful. It has a slightly tangy flavor and the color is bright and cheerful, perfect for Mother’s Day. For a touch of the tropics, try my Lemongrass Panna Cotta with Kiwi Mint Sauce instead.

Orange blossom water is distilled water that contains the essential oil of orange blossom. It is a traditional ingredient in Middle Eastern, French, and Mediterranean desserts. It is also used in some cocktails. A little goes a long way, and so add a few drops at a time to determine your preference. It can be purchased at Middle Eastern food stores.

Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce

Making panna cotta is relatively simple but unmolding it can be a little tricky. While my first attempt using small bowls was quite successful, it did cause me some concern. I decided to use silicone cups this time, and I am happy to say that the release was a little easier. After running a thin knife around the top edge, I was able to stretch and peel back the pliable silicone cup to loosen the panna cotta. I inverted it onto a plate and gently squeeze the base of the cup to ease the panna cotta down. Then I carefully lifted the cup.

Silicone cups come in all shapes and sizes. Choose the ones that best suit your purpose.

Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce

• 2½ tsp (7g) unflavored gelatin
  • ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
Orange Sauce
  • 1 cup (240ml) freshly squeezed orange juice from 2 to 3 oranges
  • 3 tbsp (40g) sugar
  • 1 tbsp (14g) butter
  • Julienne orange peel from one orange
  1. Lightly oil 10 standard size silicone baking cups with neutral tasting oil. Place cups on a flat tray.
To make Panna Cotta
  1. Place half-and-half in a medium sized saucepan. Sprinkle gelatin over and allow to soften for 5 minutes. Add sugar and place saucepan on the stove over medium stirring until gelatin and sugar dissolve, about 5 minutes. Do not allow mixture to boil. Pour in whipping cream and orange blossom water. Stir to combine. Turn off heat.
  2. Strain mixture over a fine sieve to remove any undissolved gelatin. Pour into silicone cups. Transfer to fridge and allow to set for at least 8 hours or overnight.
To make Orange Sauce
  1. Place orange juice, sugar, butter, and orange peel in a small saucepan. Simmer over medium heat, stirring occasionally until thick and syrupy, about 12 to 15 minutes. Remove and allow to cool. Transfer to a container and keep in the fridge until ready to use.
To unmold and serve
  1. Run a thin knife around edge of each silicone cup to loosen. Invert onto a plate and gently squeeze the base of the cup to ease the panna cotta down. Carefully lift the cup. Drizzle with orange sauce.

A double heart serving of Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce for Mom…

Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY! 😎

Biren

Comments

1. says

Hi Biren, This is looking absolutely delightful. Loved the new combo of ingredients and the recipe is so nicely made and presented. Saving this recipe of urs and wud love to give ur version a try on the coming weekend. Have a great day….Sonia !!!

2. Jeannie says

Looks so pretty and the orange blossom sauce must be delicious too! Great way to give mothers a treat:) Happy Mother’s day to you too Biren

3. says

Biren, you’ve got my fav ingredient and fav dessert rolled into one. Now that is definitely one of the best Mothers’ Day desserts you could have! Enjoy Mothers’ Day.

4. says

What a beautiful dessert for Mother’s Day Biren! Making them in the heart molds is a nice touch! Happy Mother’s Day!

5. says

This dessert looks fabulous! I have to try it. I don’t know why I am still so intimidate by the idea of making panna cotta. The recipe sounds so simple and so delish :-).

• Biren says

You are not alone. It took me a while to get round to making it and I am glad I did. It is actually quite fast and easy, especially if you allow it to set in dessert glasses and not worry about unmolding it. The long wait for it to set is probably the hardest part. 😉

6. says

Such a pretty dish! I love the lavender and almond cookies too :) My mum would love those, but it’s a shame my parents have decided to go on holiday! I’ve never tried orange blossom water but that sounds very exotic and I’d love to try it :)

• Biren says

I enjoy going to ethnic markets as there are always so many “new” things for me to discover and try out. I hope you find the orange blossom water there.

7. says

Wow Biren, your panna cotta looks so heavenly! I’ve never tried orange blossom water before but I imagine they’d impart a really light citrus flavour of which I’m such a fan. I hope I can find this near my home..

8. says

Biren, you never fail to go above and beyond with your kitchen adventures, and this is no exception! This looks absolutely lovely and the citrus flavor is perfect to go with the creamy panna cotta.

9. says

This is gorgeous, Biren! I love the orange for a touch of elegance…and I can imagine it’s lovely scent!

Hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day!

10. says

I have yet made my own panna cotta! Your version sounds pretty simple & easy to follow. Thanks for showing the step by step pictures as well.
    Kristy

• Biren says

It would be a nice surprise. Talking about Father’s Day, I need to think up of some recipes to make a special treat for my hubby…shhhh!

11. says

Beautiful presentations, Biren! I need to get me some silicone cups for stuff like this. Ever since trying Stella’s Panna cotta, I’ve grown a whole new respect for them. I never thought I would like them, but she proved me wrong. Yours look fantastic with the orange sauce drizzles all over. Definitely a double serving for mom!

12. says

Mother’s day or not, there’s always room for dessert and a cup of tea.
    Saw your panna cotta few days ago, took me a while to come and leave a comment. :(
    Looks great, love the orange sauce. Seeing your heart shaped panna cotta gave me some ideas for some molds I just received. Thanks Biren.

13. says

This is beautiful Biren. Making my own panna cotta has been on my list of “things to do” for over a year. It always looks so delicious and creamy.

Trackbacks