Peach Streusel Kuchen

Peach Streusel KuchenKuchen is a German word for cake. It consists of a sweet yeast dough filled with a custard. Sometimes fruits are added to the dough. It is usually sliced like a pie. Kuchen is generally thought of as a dessert but it may be eaten any time of the day.

Today’s kuchen has a streusel topping instead of a custard filling. This recipe was adapted from The Cooks Encyclopedia of Bread Machine Baking. This being my first attempt, I was a little anxious. I had to use my stand mixer to knead the dough as my bread machine was being used for my weekly Gluten-free Rice Bread. I am glad that it turned out well. :)

I brought this peach streusel kuchen to a birthday party yesterday evening. The presentation was gorgeous but it would have been better for a brunch thing as it was more bread-like than cake-like. It was mildly sweet with a fine and dense texture. The peaches were not as sweet as I would have liked. Somehow they were sadly lacking in flavor this season. Perhaps apples or blueberries would have worked better. I would recommend that this be served warm with butter. Please note that the recipe below has been adjusted with a little bit more sugar. This is a rarity for me as I usually cut back on the sugar.

Peach Streusel Kuchen

First, take a look at these gorgeous peaches. Leave them aside for now. We will come back to them later.

Peaches

Now, let’s start cooking!

Peach Streusel Kuchen

• 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp (30g) butter, softened
  • ¾ cup (180ml) milk
  • 4 fresh peaches**
Topping
  • ½ cup (75g) all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup (40g) almond meal (ground almonds)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp (30g) butter, softened
  1. Combine bread flour, sugar, and salt in the mixing bowl of stand mixer and whisk till combined, about 30 seconds. Add yeast and whisk for another 30 seconds. Change out wire whisk with dough hook.
  2. Add egg, butter, and milk. Turn on mixer on speed 2. Mix for about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and dough hook. Remove dough hook and cover with a plate for 15 minutes.
  3. Reattach dough hook, and mix for another 10 minutes to form smooth pliable dough. Remove dough and shape into a ball. Lightly oil mixing bowl. Return dough to bowl, cover with plate and allow to rise for about 1½ hours or almost double in size.
  4. Lightly oil a 9-inch spring form cake pan. Peel and slice peaches into ½-inch slices. Mix all topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.
  5. When dough is ready, remove from mixing bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Punch it down gently and roll it out to fit the pan. Ease it into position. Arrange peaches on top of dough. Sprinkle topping over peaches. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise slightly for about 20 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake kuchen for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm or turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Notes
**Peaches may be substituted with 3 large apples or a pint of blueberries.

I am linking this to Aspiring Bakers#8 – Bread Seduction event hosted by Jasmine of The Sweetylicious.

Peach Streusel Kuchen

A slice of the peach streusel kuchen…

A slice of Peach Streusel Kuchen

Look at this gorgeous fruit salad at the party. I need to get me a trifle bowl ASAP! 😉

Gorgeous fruit salad in trifle bowl

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Biren

Comments

• Biren says

Thanks Lyndsey!The kuchen did look quite impressive. :) For some reason the peaches this season look great but lack flavor. This is my second batch but they are not sweet. I had to add some sugar to neutralize the tartness.

1. says

Your peach streusel kuchen looks beautiful! I made an apple version a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it warm with a cup of Earl Grey Tea. I wish we have fresh peaches here!

• Biren says

Thanks Joyce! I will use apples the next time I make this. Sounds great with a cup of Earl Grey. I had this with Darjeeling. :)

• Biren says

Thanks for the compliments and for buzzing! That fruit salad was gorgeous! One of the guests did a great job in cutting up the fruits and layering them.

2. says

I really like this Kuchen with the peaches on top. Looks so yummy.
    Anyway Biren, have you seen a Baumkuchen before? also a German cake and it is very popular in SG.

• Biren says

Thanks Ann! I am going to try with apples or blueberries next time. The kuchen looked very nice but the peaches this season are not as sweet as I would like it to be.

No, I have not seen a baumkuchen but I just googled it. Very impressive indeed! It would be difficult to make it at home as a kind of rotisserie oven is required. More things to try out when I visit again. :)

3. says

Ohhh what a beautiful cake, oh what do we call it…Kuchen! I haven’t bought peaches yet (haven’t seen many) and I can’t wait to eat juicy peaches. It’s nice that you can use peaches or any other fruits to make it into this beautiful cake. I wish I have this for my breakfast or afternoon tea… or even my lunch. =)

4. Jeannie says

I love the look of this kuchen, I have bookmarked a similar recipe but have been procastinating as usual…would love to try this soon….that salad looks gorgeous!

5. says

This kuchen looks wonderful. Though I must correct you a bit: We Germans usually don’t eat Kuchen for desert. It’s something you enjoy with your coffee in the afternoon. Birthdayparties usually start with coffee and kuchen around 3 or 4 pm and then we’ll have dinner around 7 pm without desert most of the time! 😉

• Biren says

Thanks for the cultural notes. Kuchen is delightful with coffee or tea. Here in the US, since most of us do not have the late afternoon coffee hour, we tend to enjoy kuchen as a dessert instead. :)

6. says

Awesome cake! Sorry to hear that your peaches weren’t as good as you hoped. Maybe next time you can try to make them with so called “wild” peaches. They look like wheels have a lot more flavor then the normal round ones.

7. says

Oh, Biren – I’d love this kuchen as a birthday cake since it’s a welcome change. Look at that topping! Dribble, dribble (that’s me, not the topping) Love the idea of peaches or apples or blueberries and that you can eat it at ANY mealtime :-)

8. says

My daughter and I made a peach crisp for Father’s Day, but I think we’ll try this with the box of peaches I got for this weekend (fortunately, the peaches I’ve bought here have been very sweet). Looks delicious and excellent for breakfast, snack, or dessert :)

Trackbacks