Peach Streusel Kuchen

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Peach Streusel Kuchen

Kuchen is a German word for cake. It consists of a sweet yeast dough filled with a custard. Sometimes fruits are added to the dough. It is usually sliced like a pie. Kuchen is generally thought of as a dessert but it may be eaten any time of the day.

Today’s kuchen has a streusel topping instead of a custard filling. This recipe was adapted from The Cooks Encyclopedia of Bread Machine Baking. This being my first attempt, I was a little anxious. I had to use my stand mixer to knead the dough as my bread machine was being used for my weekly Gluten-free Rice Bread. I am glad that it turned out well. :)

I brought this peach streusel kuchen to a birthday party yesterday evening. The presentation was gorgeous but it would have been better for a brunch thing as it was more bread-like than cake-like. It was mildly sweet with a fine and dense texture. The peaches were not as sweet as I would have liked. Somehow they were sadly lacking in flavor this season. Perhaps apples or blueberries would have worked better. I would recommend that this be served warm with butter. Please note that the recipe below has been adjusted with a little bit more sugar. This is a rarity for me as I usually cut back on the sugar.

Peach Streusel Kuchen

First, take a look at these gorgeous peaches. Leave them aside for now. We will come back to them later.

Peaches

Now, let’s start cooking!

Peach Streusel Kuchen

Prep Time: 2 hours, 50 minutes

Yield: 8 to 10 servings

Peach Streusel Kuchen

• 2½ cups (375g) unbleached white bread flour
  • 1/3 cup (70g) sugar
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 1¼ tsp instant yeast
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 tbsp (30g) butter, softened
  • ¾ cup (180ml) milk
  • 4 fresh peaches**
  • Topping
  • ½ cup (75g) all-purpose flour
  • ¼ cup (40g) almond meal (ground almonds)
  • ¼ cup brown sugar
  • 1 tsp ground cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp (30g) butter, softened

Combine bread flour, sugar, and salt in the mixing bowl of stand mixer and whisk till combined, about 30 seconds. Add yeast and whisk for another 30 seconds. Change out wire whisk with dough hook.

Add egg, butter, and milk. Turn on mixer on speed 2. Mix for about 5 minutes. Scrape down sides of bowl and dough hook. Remove dough hook and cover with a plate for 15 minutes.

Reattach dough hook, and mix for another 10 minutes to form smooth pliable dough. Remove dough and shape into a ball. Lightly oil mixing bowl. Return dough to bowl, cover with plate and allow to rise for about 1½ hours or almost double in size.

Lightly oil a 9-inch spring form cake pan. Peel and slice peaches into ½-inch slices. Mix all topping ingredients in a medium sized bowl until mixture resembles coarse breadcrumbs.

When dough is ready, remove from mixing bowl and place on a lightly floured surface. Punch it down gently and roll it out to fit the pan. Ease it into position. Arrange peaches on top of dough. Sprinkle topping over peaches. Cover with lightly oiled plastic wrap and set in a warm place to rise slightly for about 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Bake kuchen for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Allow to cool in pan for 10 minutes. Serve warm or turn onto a wire rack to cool completely.

Notes

**Peaches may be substituted with 3 large apples or a pint of blueberries.

I am linking this to Aspiring Bakers#8 – Bread Seduction event hosted by Jasmine of The Sweetylicious.

Peach Streusel Kuchen

A slice of the peach streusel kuchen…

A slice of Peach Streusel Kuchen

Look at this gorgeous fruit salad at the party. I need to get me a trifle bowl ASAP! ;)

Gorgeous fruit salad in trifle bowl

Biren

1. Pachecopatty says:

Biren you rock this cake is amazing;-)

I so want a piece of this for my breakfast!

2. Now this is my kind of dessert, it looks gorgeous! I usually cut back on the sugar when I make sweets too. I really think this would be great for breakfast…and those are some beautiful peaches!! :D

Thanks Lyndsey!The kuchen did look quite impressive. :) For some reason the peaches this season look great but lack flavor. This is my second batch but they are not sweet. I had to add some sugar to neutralize the tartness.

3. Your peach streusel kuchen looks beautiful! I made an apple version a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it warm with a cup of Earl Grey Tea. I wish we have fresh peaches here!

Thanks Joyce! I will use apples the next time I make this. Sounds great with a cup of Earl Grey. I had this with Darjeeling. :)

4. Parsley Sage says:

Those are some gorgeous peaches! And you turned it into quite the gorgeous kuchen :) Loving that fruit salad as well. Buzzed :)

Thanks for the compliments and for buzzing! That fruit salad was gorgeous! One of the guests did a great job in cutting up the fruits and layering them.

5. Anncoo says:

I really like this Kuchen with the peaches on top. Looks so yummy.
    Anyway Biren, have you seen a Baumkuchen before? also a German cake and it is very popular in SG.

Thanks Ann! I am going to try with apples or blueberries next time. The kuchen looked very nice but the peaches this season are not as sweet as I would like it to be.

No, I have not seen a baumkuchen but I just googled it. Very impressive indeed! It would be difficult to make it at home as a kind of rotisserie oven is required. More things to try out when I visit again. :)

6. What a lovely cake, Biren. The toppings are full of flavour too. It’s perfect for any time of the day.

7. Ohhh what a beautiful cake, oh what do we call it…Kuchen! I haven’t bought peaches yet (haven’t seen many) and I can’t wait to eat juicy peaches. It’s nice that you can use peaches or any other fruits to make it into this beautiful cake. I wish I have this for my breakfast or afternoon tea… or even my lunch. =)

8. Lyn says:

Wooo beautiful peach cake and I always love peaches! Those toppings look cruncy! :D

9. Ooh…this peach streusel kuchen looks so delightful and delicious, it reminds me very much of my days in Germany when we used to eat streusel kuchen regularly! Great recipe, Biren.

10. This sounds like a great alternative to coffee cake for breakfast! It has fruit too, so it has to be healthy, right :)

11. What a lovely cake! Perfect for tea time.

12. We love peach streusel cake, esp. my husband! Yours looks scrumpy!

13. soft delicious looking kuchen

14. Jeannie says:

I love the look of this kuchen, I have bookmarked a similar recipe but have been procastinating as usual…would love to try this soon….that salad looks gorgeous!

Looking at the slice, I thought it is soft and fluffy like a cake.

16. Biren this looks so yummy! I love anything with fruit and crumb topping. I wish I had a slice for dessert tonight.

17. Nithu says:

This is a wonderful cake. This will be apt for our ongoing mela. It would be great if you can enter your recipe in our “Quick and easy recipe mela”. Looking forward towards your entry. Thanks

18. Lisa says:

This kuchen looks wonderful. Though I must correct you a bit: We Germans usually don’t eat Kuchen for desert. It’s something you enjoy with your coffee in the afternoon. Birthdayparties usually start with coffee and kuchen around 3 or 4 pm and then we’ll have dinner around 7 pm without desert most of the time! ;)

Thanks for the cultural notes. Kuchen is delightful with coffee or tea. Here in the US, since most of us do not have the late afternoon coffee hour, we tend to enjoy kuchen as a dessert instead. :)

19. Lilly says:

Awesome cake! Sorry to hear that your peaches weren’t as good as you hoped. Maybe next time you can try to make them with so called “wild” peaches. They look like wheels have a lot more flavor then the normal round ones.

20. Zoe says:

I’ve heard about Kuchen but never made it before. This is so gorgeous!

21. That’s a gorgeous Peach Kuchen, Biren! Your pictures made me crave for some right now! YUMMYLICIOUS!

22. Oh, Biren – I’d love this kuchen as a birthday cake since it’s a welcome change. Look at that topping! Dribble, dribble (that’s me, not the topping) Love the idea of peaches or apples or blueberries and that you can eat it at ANY mealtime :-)

23. Jasmine says:

omg! this is sooooo PRETTY! and look so much like a cake. YUMMY!!!

24. Beautiful cake. I have a box of peaches from Trader Joe’s that I need to do something with. This will be perfect for the holiday weekend. Enjoy your week!

25. Sanjeeta kk says:

Oh..how gorgeous the cake look, Biren. Love that click of Peaches. And the dessert is tempting. Hope you had fun at the party.

26. What a lovely cake! The streusel looks especially tasty.

27. This is just gorgeous Biren…perfect summer treat :)

28. This looks like something I would love! I love anything with streusel! And those peaches are just gorgeous… :) Great post, Biren!

29. My daughter and I made a peach crisp for Father’s Day, but I think we’ll try this with the box of peaches I got for this weekend (fortunately, the peaches I’ve bought here have been very sweet). Looks delicious and excellent for breakfast, snack, or dessert :)

30. Gorgeous indeed!!! I would not be able to stop myself picking at the streusel topping! You really are a wonder in the kitchen :)

31. Cheah says:

Have bookmarked this straightaway! Lovely!

32. kristy says:

Biren, I am loving the topping so much. Simply irresistible. Hope I can have a slice too.
    Kristy

33. Biren, this kuchen looks absolutely gorgeous. I have to pin it for summer when we have fresh peaches :)

1. July 15, 2011

[…] Clickalicious Peach Streusel Kuchen @ Roti n Rice Lemon Posset @ Food 52 Vegan tofu chocolate pudding @ Anger Burger Candied citrus tart @ A Little […]

2. July 20, 2011

[…] from Roti n Rice Author: Ellen | Category: Sweets and Treats, Ur Mom Cooks | Tags: bread flour, dough, kuchen, […]