Lavender Madeleines – a Guest Post and Light It Up Blue

Today, I am honored to be guest posting at Nami’s blog, Just One Cookbook while she visits family in Japan. Nami writes an amazing blog filled with Japanese recipes and beautiful photography. If you have not visited, you are missing out. There are very few blogs out there giving the English speaking world a glimpse into the Japanese kitchen. Just One Cookbook is Nami’s compilation of family recipes which she hopes to pass down to her children someday.

Nami often speaks about the lack of baked desserts on her blog. With that in mind, I decided to share one with all of you today. These madeleines are in keeping with the Japanese’s love for all things dainty and the philosophy of Hara Hachi Bu (腹八分) – eating until you are 80% full.

Before you hop over to read my guest post, I would like to tell you a little bit about why today’s pictures are all dressed up in blue…

Autism is a disorder characterized by difficulties in social interaction, verbal and nonverbal communication and repetitive behaviors. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 1 in 88 American children are on the autism spectrum – a ten-fold increase in prevalence in 40 years. Autism affects over 2 million individuals in the U.S. and costs this nation over $126 billion per year, but it receives less than 5% of the research funding of many less prevalent childhood diseases.

While there is no definitive cure for autism, some individuals are considered to be largely “recovered” with early childhood therapies and intervention. Families dealing with autism need your help and support. Autism Speaks’ mission is to improve the lives of all those on the spectrum.

Roti n Rice is proud to support Autism Speaks in celebrating World Autism Awareness Day on April 2 and Light It Up Blue to help shine a light on autism. Please click on the banner to find out more about autism and how you can help.

Thank you!

Now, please do Nami and me the honor of going over to Just One Cookbook to read my guest post HERE.

Lavender Madeleines

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 12 madeleines
  • ¾ cup (115g) all-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • 1 tbsp culinary lavender, crushed to release its fragrance
  • 2 large eggs, at room temperature
  • ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 1 stick (8 tbsp/115g) butter, melted
  • Extra butter and flour for greasing and dusting pan
  • Powdered sugar, optional
  1. Grease a standard size Madeleine pan well. Dust with flour. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
  2. Sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix in lavender. Set aside.
  3. Beat sugar, eggs, and vanilla together until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
  4. Add flour mixture and melted butter.
  5. Gently fold in flour and butter until well incorporated.
  6. Spoon batter into each mold cavity until almost full.
  7. Bake for 12 to 13 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly touched. Do not over bake.
  8. Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in pan. Turn the pan over and give it a light tap to unmold.
  9. Cool on rack, shell side up. Dust with powdered sugar and serve with tea or coffee.
Notes
For a more pronounced “hump” appearance, cover batter and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes. Then spoon batter into prepared mold, leaving batter mounded in the center.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

Comments

1. denise @ singapore shiok says

Beautiful post Biren – your photos are fabulous!! LOVE the blue theme and the intent behind it. That teacup is beautiful, makes me want to go on another china shopping spree 😉 Of course, the madeleines are perfection.

• Biren says

Thank you Denise always for your kind words and support! Blue is my favorite color and it worked out nicely with raising awareness on autism. That teacup comes in a set of 4 together with a teapot, sugar, and creamer. It is one of my favorites and hold sentimental value for me.

• Biren says

Thank you Ann always for your kind words and support. :) I love baking with lavender as it makes the baked goods so fragrant. I hope you will give it a try.

2. says

Seriously beautiful madeleines. I never knew what these lovely cookies were called until I became a blogger. Now I am so eager to buy a madeleine pan so I can try to make them too. :)

• Biren says

You are most welcomed Nami. Thanks for having me on you blog. I hope you have a wonderful time in Japan with your family. :)

• Biren says

Thank you Reem for your kind comments. You are always so sweet and it is a joy to read your comments. :)

3. says

Biren, your madeleines are absolutely stunning. Love the Frenchie lavender touch – and the blue for supporting autism. Bravo on such a beautiful guest post!

• Biren says

Thank you so much Jill. I love lavender and the blue theme really worked out well for this post. Glad to be able to help raise awareness for autism. :)

4. says

Such pretty, dainty Madeleines. I love making these or even small bread bites in the pan. They’re always a fun treat and just the right size. Yours are picture perfect!

• Biren says

Many thanks Kitchenriffs for your kind comments and for visiting. So glad to meet you and looking forward to your return visit. :)

5. says

I love her blog and what a good choice for her to have you guess post on her blog. What a good choice to have baked goods for her :) I understand where she’s coming from. The madelines sound awesome, and I might still have some lavender around, but not the pans! See you later…hopping on over to Nami’s blog!

• Biren says

Thanks Lyndsey for your kind words. I love lavender and wish I can grow them here. Somehow they do not thrive in my shady yard. I grew two varieties in Colorado and used them in potpourri sachets for my drawers. They smelled so good.

6. says

Wow Biren, these madeleines look awesome…love the lavender in it, they look so light and delicate.
    Great pictures as well…hope you are having a great week :)

7. says

Amazing guest post! This is another delicious version of madeleines, Biren! I can still remember your gluten free madeleines which I really would love to try. The problem is I still haven’t bought the pan. This lavender madeleines is a great reminder that I really should!

• Biren says

Thanks Tina and you have an excellent memory. I did make some gluten-free ones some time back. I hope you get a madeleine pan soon. These little cakes are delightful.

• Biren says

Thanks Eri for visiting and commenting. It is nice to “meet” you. I love cooking with lavender and these little cakes turned out really fragrant and quite delicious! :)

8. says

Hi, Biren! I ended up finding your beautiful blog through this guest post that you wrote for Nami’s blog almost one year ago.
    My eyes got teary when I saw a bible verse on your presentation wall. It is so good to find other bloggers who are believers and share great values…
    You did a great job on the post and your madeleines look divine.

• Biren says

Thanks Denise for visiting and commenting! I am very happy to hear that you are a fellow believer. Praise be to our Lord! :)

Trackbacks