Oyster Stew and Divinity – A Mother’s Day Post by At Home with Rebecka

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

I am so excited today because I have a special guest in the house. Please pour yourself a cup of tea or coffee, sit back and relax. I want to tell you about Rebecka who helms At Home with Rebecka out of Colorado. She is a mom, a grandmother, an awesome chef, and also a professional musician. Rebecka is also my friend and one who has given me much support and encouragement in our journey together as fellow bloggers.

Rebecka’s blog is all about family, good food, and fond memories. She shares fantastic recipes alongside family pictures and stories on her blog. She also enjoys competing in cooking competitions and loves singing in the opera. In her post entitled My Opera Journey Photo Album, you will be treated to some amazing pictures of her in various opera roles. She has performed in over 18 professional productions like My Fair Lady, Madame Butterfly, and Die Fledermaus. I wish I could have seen her in those productions. I hope you will visit Rebecka soon. You can also find her on Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest.

Since today is Mother’s Day, Rebecka has a treat for us. She is going to share not one, not two, but three delectable recipes with us. In honor of all our mothers she has recreated three of her own mom’s favorite dishes. Without further ado, please welcome Rebecka…

Hi, my name is Rebecka Evans. I was deeply honored when Biren asked me to write this guest post for Mother’s Day. I hope to do her blog justice as I try to live up to her impeccable standards!

I stumbled upon Roti n Rice the first week of my food blogging sojourn. I was wowed by her exceptional blogging techniques, recipes and photography skills. What a pleasure to have Biren be my unwitting teacher these past two years as I’m continually inspired by each new blog post. I can’t imagine my blogging experience without her.

Biren is a treasured fellow blogger. Thank you my friend!

At Home with Rebecka is all about recreating fond food memories, what I like to call “A Culinary Journey of Comfort and Style”. My blog began on a whim and has since turned into a deep love for food blogging, an immense passion for food writing, styling and food photography! I also have to confess, I’ve become a food competitor junkie!

I’ve had the honor of winning a few challenges in my food blogging career. My most recent win, the Real Women of Philadelphia Cookbook Challenge with my Fig Tart with Philly Frangipani and Strawberry Ginger Cream. My photo and recipe will be published in this season’s cookbook alongside recipes from other RWOP winners and Ms. Paula Deen! Yea! I also won $500!

Another proud moment was winning the Marx Foods Mixology Challenge, Recipe Impossible! My recipe Bite My Sweet Tarts-tini really had me thinking outside the box. The competition main ingredient… Szechuan buttons; a potent little flower with a tingly after bite! Please stop by my blog to view these recipes and more.

It’s Mothers Day, and what a perfect opportunity for me to share some delicious food memories with you by recreating three of my mother’s favorite dishes – Oyster Stew, homemade Oyster Crackers and Divinity.

Mom aka Anne, was a masterful home cook. She was always eager to try new and unusual foods, way before they were popular or trendy. Garden to table, her recipes were inventive and delicious. I still remember her fried squash blossoms with a fresh cut garden salad, sweet hand picked cherry tomatoes tossed with tender blue sorrel blossoms and spicy chives, all dressed in sweet vinaigrette. While most of our family and friends were eating TV dinners we were enjoying mom’s culinary adventures.

Mom is retired from the kitchen now, leaving preparation of holiday and big family meals to me and my three brothers. A torch I’m happy to share with future generations.

Oyster Stew

Oyster Stew

• 2-8 ounce cans premium oysters in water or 1-1/2 dozen fresh oysters
  • 1/2 cup white onion chopped
  • 1/2 cup celery chopped
  • 3 cups half and half
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 1/4 cup sherry
  • 1 teaspoon olive oil
  • Butter
  • 3 tablespoons fresh parsley chopped
  • Salt and pepper to taste

In a medium heavy bottom sauce pan heat olive oil, add chopped onion and celery and cook until onions are translucent.

Add oysters and liqueur to saucepan cook for 5 minutes.

Reduce heat slightly and add half and half, stir to combine. Gently cook stew for 20 minutes.

Add salt and pepper to taste.

Ladle soup into bowls, drizzle a small amount of sherry over each bowl of stew and garnish with parsley, a dollop of butter and oyster crackers.

Notes

Optional: Add the oyster liquid, half and half and water to cooked onion and celery, reserve oysters and set aside until ready to use. Cook broth on medium heat to a soft boil. In small batches, puree the liquid and vegetables until smooth. Return liquid to stock pot, add oysters and heat to soft boil.

Garnish as above and serve.

Oyster Crackers

Yield: Approximately 12 dozen

Oyster Crackers

• 1 1/2 cups sifted flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons cold butter
  • 1 teaspoon dry active yeast
  • 1 tablespoons cold water
  • 1/4 cup plus 3-4 tablespoons cold milk

In a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons milk and water, add yeast stir slightly with a wooden spoon. Rest mixture for 5 minutes.

Combine flour, sugar, salt and cold butter in the bowl of an electric stand mixer and pulse until well combined. Mixture will look like coarse sand.

Add remaining 1/4 cup milk and yeast mixture and blend until dough comes together to form a ball. If the dough looks dry add another tablespoon cold milk. Allow the dough to rest 15 minutes at room temperature.

Preheat oven 400 degrees F.

Roll dough out onto a well floured surface to 1/4 inch thickness, cut rounds using the large pastry tip or other small circular cutter.

Cover ungreased cookie sheet with parchment paper, place dough rounds 1/4 - 1/8 inch apart.

Bake crackers for 10-15 minutes checking for doneness at 10 minutes. Gently shake the cookie sheet to flip crackers for even browning, sprinkle with additional sea salt to taste and continue cooking until lightly golden browned.

Notes

If you prefer a saltier cracker, brush each cracker with egg wash prior to baking and sprinkle with sea salt. You can also add flavor by extending the baking time.

Divinity!

Generally classified as a candy, fudge and sometimes used in a candy roll, Divinity is similar to nougat but lighter in texture; a cloud of soft sweetness with a pecan crunch. I guarantee this simply made candy will satisfy your biggest sweet tooth!

Divinity

Yield: 1 1/2 dozen

Divinity

• 3 cups granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 2/3 cup warm water
  • 2 egg whites
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/8 teaspoon almond extract
  • 1 cup chopped pecans or almonds

Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper and spray the paper with cooking spray.

Combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a large heavy bottom saucepan over medium heat. Cook stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Continue cooking without stirring until the mixture reaches 250 degrees on a candy thermometer, firm ball stage.

While sugar mixture is cooking, beat egg whites in a stand mixer until stiff peaks form. Slowly pour about half of the sugar mixture into the egg whites constantly beating on low spread.

Place saucepan back on burner and continue cooking until it reaches 270 degrees, soft crack stage.

Stream remaining mixture into egg whites constantly beating on low spread until all the mixture is incorporated.

Scrape sides of bowl and mix on medium for 1-2 minutes or until the mixture holds it's shape.

Mix in vanilla and almond extracts and nuts until well combined.

Use 2 teaspoons, one to push the mixture from the other. Drop teaspoonful onto cookie sheet, let cool.

Notes

Divinity can be stored in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks

Divinity is a bit tricky when attempted in damp condition. Save this recipe for a sunny dry day.

Biren and loyal followers of Roti n Rice, Thank you! It’s been a pleasure sharing my mom’s favorite recipes with you today!

HAPPY MOTHER’S DAY!

Thank you Rebecka for such a beautiful post and your kind words about me. I hope you have a wonderful Mother’s Day. I miss my own Mom on this special day as she lives far away, but I got to talk to her over the phone last night. I am happy that I will be seeing her soon.

Wishing you my dear readers, a joyous day filled with love, warmth, and good food! 8)

1. Hi Rebecka – thank you for such a lovely post and for so generously sharing your mother’s wonderful recipes. I have never heard of divinity but as I love nougat, this is definitely something I would love to try making! The recipe that thrills me most though is the one for oyster crackers – never seen one for it and I am thrilled to see it here!

Biren – this is a gorgeous post, and your choice of Rebecka as guest blogger is inspired! Happy Mother’s Day again :)

Yes, it is really generous of Rebecka to share her mom’s recipes. Jeannie said something about divinity being called frangipani. I can’t recall having eaten anything similar in that part of the world. Any thoughts?

2. Jen says:

This a great post! The food looks fabulous and the pics are brill.:-)

3. Nasifriet says:

Hi Biren! Lovely post and thanks for sharing Rebecka with us on this auspicious occasion.

Rebecka,thanks for passing the torch and sharing with us your mum’s favourite dishes. The choice of colour – white – is just perfect! Purity, kindness and loyal love :-D

Happy Mother’s Day, Biren!

Thanks Nasifriet! Rebecka is wonderful – always encouraging and supportive. So glad to feature her here.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day.

4. Rebecka says:

What an honor to see my recipes here at Roti n Rice and to meet Biren’s dear followers! Denise, Jen and Nasifriet,I cherish your kind words!

Biren, once again I thank you for allowing me the pleasure of creating a guest post for you this Mother’s Day! To you and yours…♥

Thank you once again Rebecka for the lovely post and for your generosity in sharing three of your mom’s favorite dishes with us. All three dishes are wonderful! We eat oyster crackers all the time but I never thought of making them myself. Now I can, thanks to you. Also divinity is new to me and it is great to learn about it. Can’t wait to try the oyster stew as well. :)

Happy Mother’s Day, my friend!

Hugs…Biren xx

5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful guest post with such lovely recipes to choose from for Mother’s Day. I hope you have a wonderful day today. :)

6. Great guest post from Rebecka. Love all the three dishes, look delicious and easy to follow.
    Happy Mother’s Day to Biren and Rebecka :)

7. Thank you, Rebecka, Biren, for this wonderful post. The stew looks divine! Love those cute oyster crackers too.

8. Ramona says:

Great guest post!! Hope everyone is enjoying a very special mother’s day!! :)

9. Jeannie says:

What lovely and delicious looking recipes, I am eyeing your frangipani Rebecka, drooling over it in fact! Great post! Happy Mother’s day to both of you Biren and Rebecka:D albeit a bit late:P

Divinity is new to me. I din’t realize they are also known as frangipani. Frangipani sounds vaguely familiar but maybe I am thinking of those white fragrant flowers. Please do refresh my memory…

10. PolaM says:

Must be delicious! Thanks for introducing us a new blogger!

11. Yui says:

Thank you Rebecka. I think I need to try the Oyster crackers this weekend. And teh divinity is the one waits in my list. I couldn’t do it now because it’s windy and get little rain here in my country.
    About the crackers, how is it taste? More to salty or sweet ones? If it is salty I was thinking to add chicken stuff.
    How to Make Sweet Potato Fries

12. Yui says:

Oh wait I am back again. In the oyster crackers I need water and yeast. But I don’t see any of these ingredients in the instruction. So, when should I add them in the batch?

Hi Yui! Thanks for visiting and commenting. Rebecka has responded to your question. Please read comment No. 15 below. I have also updated the recipe with the missing step.

13. Hi Rebecka,
    Great to see you here as Biren’s guest! Great recipes from you as always! Your oyster stew looks so delicious, I would gladly finish every drop!! The oyster crackers and divinity are something new to me, have not heard of these before, they look wonderful! It is really great of you to share your mother’s recipes, they truly are a treasure to hold on to! :)

Biren, thank you for this wonderful guest post by Rebecka!
    Happy Mother’s Day!

Rebecka is just the best, isn’t she? Love all three recipes and can’t wait to try them.

I hope you had a wonderful Mother’s Day.

14. kitchenriffs says:

Oh, a new blogger to me! And a good one – really nice recipes. I’ve never made homemade Oyster Crackers – now I must! Thanks so much for this, and I’m on my way to check out Rebecka’s blog.

15. Rebecka says:

Hi Yui, I’m so sorry!! Just when I thought I had it all together for this guest post I leave out a vital step in the recipe!

Missing step: in a small bowl combine 3 tablespoons milk and water, add yeast stir slightly with a wooden spoon. Rest mixture for 5 minutes. Add remaining 1/4 cup milk and yeast mixture to dry ingredients and blend until dough forms a ball. If the dough looks dry add another tablespoon cold milk.

This recipe does not require warm water to activate the yeast. The crackers puff only slightly but get a lovely flavor from the yeast. The crackers are savory in flavor but if you prefer a saltier cracker, brush each cracker with egg wash prior to baking and sprinkle with sea salt. You can also add flavor by extending the baking time. This will produce a darker cracker with a nuttier flavor. I prefer the lighter version as it resembles the original version.

Jeannie, The frangipani is absolutely delicious and super easy to make at home. I hope you have the opportunity to make the dessert and share it with your family and friends. It’s beautiful as well as delicious.

Ramona, Kristi, Ann, Angie, PolaM, Joy aka kf, It has been my pleasure to share a few of my mother’s favorite recipes with you all. I am honored by your sweet comments and grinning ear to ear!

16. Rebecka says:

kitchenriffs, Thank you for checking out my blog! I hope you enjoy making the oyster crackers. They are so yummy with any hot soup or stew!

17. my grandmother used to make the best oyster stew. this brings back memories. She also used to make oyster crackers to go along with it! I love your version and hope you had a great mothers day!

18. Love those oyster crackers :-).

19. Rebecka says:

Kitchen Belleicious, I love how certain recipes recall memories of friends and family. Most of my food memories are filled with love and joy however, I’ve had a few food moments I’ll need to blog about that weren’t so fond however, very memorable. I hope you try my recipes and let me know how they compare to your grandmother’s.

cooking rookie, thank you for visiting my blog yesterday and leaving your kind comments!

20. Victoria says:

Happy (belated) Mother’s Day to all! What a great guest post! I think the oyster stew looks absolutely fabulous, and the homemade oyster crackers are the perfect compliment! What a great treat :)

21. What a lovely guest post Rebecka, and such a fantastic stew!
    Hope you both had a delightful Mothers Day!

1. October 15, 2012

[…] Happy Mother's Day!! Oyster Stew and Divinity a Mother's Day Guest Post: Three of Mom's Favorite Dishes is being featured… […]