Banana Strudel

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Banana Strudel

How quickly the seasons and the days go by. It seems like we just celebrated Christmas and the New Year. Then came the Chinese New Year and now it is Valentine’s Day. Never a dull moment. The holidays and festivities keep us busy all year long. :)

Valentine’s Day was an event for hubby and me during our courtship and early marriage but after the boys were born, it has taken a kind of a back seat. We celebrate when the schedule permits. Otherwise, it is just an exchange of cards, sometimes a small gift or flowers, and usually tea and dessert at home.

It has been so cold lately, I decided on two homey baked goodies. The other one is posted on my tea blog, Tea Tattler. If you have not yet visited, I invite you to hop over after this post. I share tea time treats as well as all things related to tea there. It has a fun format with the landing page looking like a Pinterest board. Please do check it out.

Banana Strudel

Now, back to this dessert here. I had half a pack of fillo dough that has been sitting in the freezer begging to be used. There is a recipe on the box for Viennese Apple Strudel that looked really delicious but the ingredients list is pretty long. I simplified the recipe and swapped out the cooked apples and spices with the two ripe bananas on my banana stand. It worked out really well. I used up both the fillo dough and the bananas. The result? Delicious Banana Strudel! This recipe is definitely a keeper!

Banana Strudel

The bread crumbs is a necessary ingredient to absorb the juices released from the baked bananas. As you can see from the pictures, the fillo dough remained dry and crispy. The recipe below was inspired by Athens Fillo Dough.

Banana Strudel

Banana Strudel

• 10 sheets of fillo dough, thawed
  • 3 tbsp butter, melted
  • 2 ripe bananas
  • ¼ cup (20g) bread crumbs
  • ¼ cups (25g) chopped walnuts
  • ¼ tsp cinnamon

Lay 5 sheets of fillo dough on your work surface. Butter each sheet with melted butter.

Peel banana and place on the short edge of fillo dough closest to you. Stretch out banana. Sprinkle half the bread crumbs, chopped walnuts, and cinnamon on the banana. Roll up tightly and place strudel seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the ingredients.

Bake in a preheated 350°F (180°C) oven for about 40 minutes or until golden brown.

This Banana Strudel can be eaten on its own or with a scoop of ice cream on warmer days. Since it is still cold outside, I did make something warm to go with it.

Banana Strudel

You need two desserts for Valentine’s Day and so I made Baked Hot Chocolate to accompany this Banana Strudel. The Baked Hot Chocolate was warm, homey, and so delicious! You don’t want to miss it. The recipe is posted on my other blog, Tea Tattler. To get to the post, please click here or on the picture below.

HAPPY VALENTINE’S DAY! 8-)

Banana Strudel

1. kristy says:

Hi Biren, wishing you & your family a very Happy Chinese New Year. May the year of brings you good health & good wealth. Have a fabulous 新年! Your banana strudel sounds terrific. I bet the combination brings in surprises.
    Best wishes
    Kristy ((hugs))

So nice of you to visit, Kristy. Many thanks for the well wishes. Wishing you and yours a very Happy, Healthy, and Prosperous Chinese New Year. Hugs back to you. :)

2. YUM. The sight of that flaky pastry is making me drool. I bet this is delicious.

3. Haruna says:

Mighty YUM!

4. rebecca says:

this looks delicious have a great valentines

5. Purabi Naha says:

Yummy! This strudel sounds great and looks delish!! Can’t wait to try, as my kids love bananas!!

6. Pam says:

Oh my gosh! This looks and sounds fantastic! Love that flaky pastry! I’ve never heard of banana strudel, but it would be a hit here; a must try! Happy Valentine’s Day!

7. Ramona says:

Happy Valentine’s Day!! I know what you mean about married couples and celebrating this day….it’s not such a big deal anymore. Instead,we do it as a family and make it a family holiday. :) I think the kids get most of the cards and enjoyment. :) I would be totally happy with just a slice of this banana strudel. :)

Thanks Ramona and same to you. Yes, we do it as a family too but as my boys grow older, it will be back to just the two of us again. We enjoyed the banana strudel. It was simple yet tasty.

8. mjskit says:

Hope you are having a fabulous Valentine’s Day! I just got a box of chocolate truffles, so I’m happy. :) This banana strudel looks delicious! So very creative and relatively easy even though I’ve never worked with fillo dough before. I’m not much of a baker, but I’m getting braver. :)

Thanks MJ! It is always nice to receive chocolates. So glad to hear you are getting braver on the baking front. :) Happy Valentine’s Day!

9. I had a very quiet Valentine’s Day this year too. Life and schedules do have a way of throwing plans up in the air, don’t they? :)

Your banana strudel and baked hot chocolate look lovely. I’m sure both were delicious too!

10. sailaja says:

Can we skip the bread crumbs? Sounds interesting

1. February 14, 2013

[...] to miss it. The recipe is posted on my other blog, Roti n Rice. To get to the post, please click here or on the picture [...]