Super creamy egg free Pistachio Ice Cream. You’ll be amazed by the silky smooth texture of this delightful frozen treat. A must try!
Today is back to school day for my two boys. It is a later start than usual this year but I do not mind it at all. In fact, I am a little sad that the relaxed schedule is over and summer is winding down. It is definitely more fun to have the boys home. The house is too quiet now and I can’t wait for the holidays to roll around again.
Speaking of the holidays, it is not too early to think ahead and get some things done right now. Postcards are a great way to tell loved ones, friends, and relatives you are thinking of them. There are lots of designs to choose from these days, and postcard printing is made easy with online printing. The good people at UPrinting has offered one of my readers the chance to win…
100 5″x7″ Postcards
14pt Cardstock Gloss
Front Only Printing with
2 Business Days Print Turnaround Time *Free Shipping.
This giveaway is for US residents 18 years old and above only.
To enter this giveaway, simply leave a comment here on this post. For additional entries, please
1. Join me as follower of this blog via Google Connect and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower.
2. Become a fan on Facebook and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new fan. If you are already a fan, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
3. Become a follower on Twitter and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower. If you are already a follower, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
4. Post about this giveaway on Facebook and/or tweet about it and leave me a separate comment here stating you have posted or tweeted about this giveaway.
This giveaway will be opened till 9:00pm Central time Wednesday, September 21st, 2011. I will randomly select and announce the winner on Thursday, September 22nd, 2011. All the best!
Now, let’s get on with the rest of today’s post and recipe.
Ice cream comes in two basic styles, Custard and Philadelphia. Custard (also known as French) style ice cream, as the name suggests, is custard based. Eggs are whisked into the hot milk mixture and cooked gently until the mixture becomes thick enough to coat the back of a spoon. Philadelphia (also known as American or New York) style ice cream contains no eggs and does not require any cooking. It is based purely on cream and sugar with only a few ingredients needed.
Philadelphia style ice cream is my preferred ice cream because of egg sensitivities at our home. While some may say that this style of ice cream is not as creamy and can sometimes be a little icy, I seldom have that experience here in the Midwest. Our milk is very creamy and that I think makes the difference. I have noticed that store bought Philadelphia style ice cream here requires very little, to almost no thawing at all. One can dig into it very easily. Hence, I am always on the lookout for egg-free ice cream recipes.
While I was in England recently, I had some freshly made Pistachio Ice Cream at a train station. It was really delicious and I promised myself I would replicate it once I got home. When searching for a recipe on-line, I stumbled upon Jeni’s Splendid Ice Creams. Though I have not personally tried any of Jeni Britton Bauer’s ice creams, I read that they are very creamy, contains no eggs, and are super delicious. I adapted her pistachio ice cream recipe found here. In this recipe, the cream was brought to a boil. Then, a little cornstarch was added to produce a custard like consistency which helped absorb whatever water was left in the cream. Finally, cream cheese was stirred in to make it extra silky and smooth. I was truly amazed at the taste and texture!
- ½ cup pistachios (toasted)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 3 tbsp cream cheese (softened)
- 2 cups whole milk (480ml)
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240ml)
- ½ cup sugar (110g)
- ¼ tsp salt
- Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours. Grind pistachios in a food processor until very fine. In a small bowl, mix cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of milk. In another bowl, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- In a medium sized saucepan, combine remaining milk with cream and sugar over medium heat. Bring mixture to a gentle boil, stirring to dissolve sugar, about 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in corn starch mixture until slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Turn off heat.
- Ladle ½ cup hot milk mixture into bowl with cream cheese to melt it slightly. Pour cream cheese mixture back into saucepan and whisk till smooth and combined. Add pistachio and salt and stir to combine. Allow mixture to cool. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour chilled mixture into frozen bowl and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.
There is still much time left for more delicious ice cream. Here are the other frozen treats I have previously shared. Just click on the picture to get to the post.
Disclaimer: This giveaway is sponsored by UPrinting. No monetary compensation was given but I will receive one hundred 5″x7″ postcards for hosting. What was written are my personal thoughts and view. For full disclaimer, please click here.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎