Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

Yippee! A care package arrived for me this week from my dear, dear friend in Merry Ole England. She sends me goodies several times a year and I wait with great anticipation each time for it to arrive. Some of the goodies in this package were thick cut marmalade (my favorite), Yorkshire Gold tea, and Marmite. This friend really knows what I like. She’s a gem!

Marmite is a sticky, dark brown paste with a distinctive flavor made from yeast extract. As a child, I used to spread butter followed by a thin layer of Marmite on bread. It is really tasty. It can also be made into a drink by diluting with hot water or as a flavoring in cooked food.

Marmite

My friend’s daughter loves her sandwiches spread with Marmite and topped with grated cheddar and thinly sliced cucumber. That sounded really good. I used two slices of home-made potato bread, spread butter on it, followed by Marmite and then topped with grated sharp cheddar.

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

As I needed something warm this morning, I omitted the cucumber but grilled the sandwich instead. This Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich was really good…..mmm…mmm…mmm! How about some Yorkshire Gold tea? Milk or sugar, anyone?

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

Yield: 1 serving

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

• 2 slices bread (any kind)
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • ½ tsp Marmite
  • ¼ cup (20g) shredded cheese (any kind)

Spread butter on both slices of bread followed by Marmite.

Sprinkle shredded cheese on the top. Toast in a toaster oven.

Remove and serve immediately.

Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwich

NOTE: This post was updated on September 13th, 2012 with new pictures. No changes were made to the recipe or write-up.

Biren

1. Cooking Rookie says:

So simple and looks so tasty :-). I need to look this Marmite up. Thanks for the recipe!

2. Angie's Recipes says:

Simply delicious! That would make it a perfect weekend breakfast.

3. vincent says:

Hello,

We bumped into your blog and we really liked it – great recipes YUM YUM.
    We would like to add it to the Petitchef.com.

enjoy your recipes.

and benefit from their exposure on Petitchef.com.

To add your site to the Petitchef family you can use http://en.petitchef.com/?obj=front&action=site_ajout_form or just go to Petitchef.com and click on "Add your site"

Best regards,

Vincent
    petitchef.com

4. Biren says:

Cooking Rookie – Yes, do look it up. It is an acquired taste but you may really like it as it is quite tasty.

Angie's Recipes – Thanks Angie! Ro-Ri San has requested for me to make it tomorrow morning :)

Vincent – Thanks for visiting and for your invitation to join your portal. I will be happy to join Petitchef.

5. Jennie says:

Cheese and Marmite sandwiches are my FAVORITE!
    They say you either love or hate Marmite. It's an acquired taste. My American husband didn't like it at first, but now he loves it too.

Thanks for sharing this!

6. Devi Meyyappan says:

Nice yummy sandwich:).. never used marmite before, sounds delicious:)

7. MaryMoh says:

I haven't tried that. Sounds brilliant. Have to try that.

8. Biren says:

Jennie – It's delicious, isn't it? I do agree it is an acquired taste.

Devi Meyyappan – Thanks! Marmite has a slightly salty flavor and is good in savory sandwiches.

MaryMoh – Yes, do try it. It's also good in rice porridge, like a soy sauce substitute.

9. Lyndsey says:

I spotted this as a related post, I love Marmite and have a jar at home. I am going to try this. I like with cheese and crackers.

10. Ruby says:

Oh you’re killing me. I started South Beach yesterday and would literally kill for a sandwich of any kind, let alone grilled cheese! The Marmite on the other hand… ;-)

All the best with your South Beach diet, Ruby. I am not familiar with the diet but surely you can have the occasional grilled cheese sandwich, no?

11. Patty says:

Hi, your sandwich looks so yummy.
    I am eating a grilled cheese and Marmite sandwich right now. Except all I had on hand was Kraft Singles.

I thought I would look for other Marmite lovers since my Marmite addiction is in it’s first stage, lol. New to it, one jar new but love the taste.

Can you tell me if I am supposed to refrigerate it(the jar of Marmite) once opened? Our house is always 72 degrees Fahrenheit, if that helps.

Thanx

12. Katie says:

I *love* marmite on toast, especially with cheese melted on top. For some reason it’s never occurred to me to use it in a grilled cheese sandwich. I must confess I’m partial to marmite from New Zealand. It has a slightly different taste than the British stuff (we had a blind taste test and I could pick it out!). Thanks for the recipe, I’ll definitely be trying this one out.

I would be interested to do the blind test. I grew up with Marmite (most likely the one from Britain and I wonder if I can tell them apart. I think you will enjoy the grilled Marmite Cheese sandwich. :)

13. Hannah-lyz says:

My little girl Loves marmite! Breakfast every day is a marmite sandwich, with a crazy amount of marmite! She also loves slices of bell pepper and carrot sticks, with a little bowl of marmite to dip them in! And you can’t beat a good spoonful of marmite in gravy and pies! I rather like toast, avacado, and marmite. It’s a great combination!

Good for her! :) The bell peppers and carrot sticks with Marmite must be tasty. I used to add marmite to rice congee when I was a little kid. :)

14. Ting says:

Hi

I am from Singapore and I love Marmite! I am gonna try this recipe at home soon. Reminds me of a marmite & cheese toast I had once. Yum. Thanks!

1. May 6, 2011

[…] Whether you are taking Mom out for lunch or dinner this weekend, it is still nice to be able to prepare a little something for a more intimate time at home. A leisurely breakfast or afternoon tea is a wonderful way for the family to get together to honor and appreciate Mom. These small meals need not be elaborate and some can be prepared ahead. Remember to make it as stress free as possible and to enjoy the time spent together. Simple breakfast ideas, from left to right: Baked Eggs in Tomato Cups, Gluten-Free Banana Blueberry Muffins, and Grilled Marmite Cheese Sandwiches. […]