Kkakdugi (Radish Kimchi)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Freshly made kimchi is really good as the vegetables are nice and crunchy. I prefer my kimchi fresh but some people like it fermented. Store bought kimchi tends to be more fermented as it has been in the bottle for a while. I normally use up all my fermented kimchi in Kimchi Jjigae (spicy kimchi soup with tofu).

Kkakdugi is not as easily available in stores as poggi kimchi (nappa cabbage kimchi). I came across this recipe from the cookbook Discovering Korean Cuisine . There are several types of kimchi recipes in there. To date, I have tried 3, poggi kimchi, oi kimchi (cucumber kimchi) and kkakdugi. It is all very good. I keep going back to the kkakdugi recipe as I like the crunchy texture of the Korean radish. The recipe below is adapted from the cookbook.

Korean radish is oval in shape with a green tip. It has a firm, crunchy texture similar to that of daikon.

Kkakdugi (Radish Kimchi)
1 medium sized (about 2 lbs) Korean radish
5 Chinese chives, trimmed and cut into 1½” pieces
½ tsp sugar
2 tbsp coarse salt

For the sauce
⅓ cup red pepper powder
¼ cup sweet rice paste
1 tbsp ground salted shrimp or fish sauce
2 tbsp minced garlic
½ tsp minced ginger
¼ cup water

Peel radish and cut into ¾” cubes. Put in a large bowl, sprinkled with salt and sugar. Mix well and leave at room temperature for about 4 hours.

In a small pot, add ½ cup water with 2 tbsp glutinous rice flour. Keep stirring as the water heats up and the mixture thickens. When it reaches pancake batter consistency, turn off heat. Set aside to cool.

Mix all sauce ingredients in a separate bowl. Drain radish. Pour sauce over radish and mix well. Add Chinese chives and continue to mix until well combined.

Store in container with a tight lid. Refrigerate.

Kkakdugi can be eaten right away or allowed to ferment in the jar. It can be kept up to 4 weeks in the fridge.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!

1. Anncoo says:

My hubby and I love kimchi. This is beautiful!

2. Biren says:

Anncoo – Thank you! We love kimchi too! It makes the meal more appetizing.

3. 5 Star Foodie says:

Something I've never made and would really love to! Sounds super delicious!

4. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says:

Can't get enough of kimchi – tastes wonderful, is something I can eat without worrying about my figure, plus it's full of beneficial enzymes. Thanks for sharing :)

5. A 2 Z Vegetarian Cuisine says:

Wow..never had raddish pickle…looks nice..

6. MaryMoh says:

Yes, kimchi! I love kimchi but I still prefer the cabbage kimchi. I've just cooked kimchi chicken yesterday…yum…really delicious.

7. Biren says:

5 Star Foodie – Korean radish is really nice and crunchy. Do give it a try.

denise@quickies on the dinner table – That is so true…..something we can indulge in and not worry about the middle :)

A2Z Vegetarian Cuisine – It is very appetizing!

MaryMoh – I like the cabbage kimchi too! Your kimchi chicken must be really tasty…yum!

8. Spoon and Chopsticks says:

I wanted to make this. I made cabbage kimchi the other day. It was delicious.

I'd like to share with you my recipe:

9. DongXing says:

Just wanted to say I made this at the weekend and they turned out to be delicious! We have been enjoying it with plain white rice and pan fried beef slices, adding it to our instant korean kimchi soupy noodles or just eating it on the side with our salad. I shall look forward to making the korean soup with it, if there is any left!

Glad to hear the recipe worked out well for you. I have not made this in a while and I really should make some soon. I like the crunchy texture of the radish. Kimchi really goes well with beef. I need to make some bulgogi as well. :)

1. June 15, 2011

[...] The spicy kimchi is a nice counterpoint to the beef and egg. I used store bought Napa cabbage kimchi this time as it has been a while since I made my own. If you prefer homemade kimchi, do check out my Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi) or Kkakdugi (Radish Kimchi). [...]

2. September 8, 2011

[...] weeks back upon my return from England, I shared a picture on Kkakdugi and Stuffed Cucumber Kimchi. Ro-Ri San and I prefer homemade kimchi to store bought ones, and so I [...]

3. September 21, 2011

[...] Remove and serve immediately with a bowl of steamed white rice and some Napa Cabbage Kimchi, Stuffed Oi Kimchi, or Kkakdugi. [...]