When someone mentions zucchini bread, one would normally think of a non-yeasted quick bread. This is a sweet bread that is cake-like and quite delicious. It is great for brunch, snack, or even afternoon tea. For breakfast or dinner, a yeasted Zucchini Loaf is preferred and zucchinis work just as well here.
Since zucchini is such a mild vegetable, I added some sunflower and pumpkin seeds to provide greater flavor and texture to the bread. I also added a little oat bran in the bread for additional fiber. This is a healthy and tasty loaf, great as an accompaniment to soups or as a sandwich bread.
- 1 cup (240ml) low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2½ cups (375g) unbleached white bread flour
- ¾ cup (105g) whole oat flour
- 2 tbsp oat bran
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- ⅔ cup grated zucchini
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp rapid rise dry yeast
- Pour buttermilk and olive oil into bread machine pan. Sprinkle both kinds of flour over followed by oat bran, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, and zucchini . Place sugar and salt in separate corners of bread pan. Make a shallow indentation in the middle of flour and add yeast. Snap bread pan into bread machine and close lid. Set bread machine to dough setting. Press the start button.
- Lightly oil a baking sheet.
- When dough cycle is complete, remove dough from machine and place it on a lightly floured surface. Punch down gently and divide dough into 2 equal portions.
- Roll each portion into a rope about 16 inches (40cm) long. Place the two ropes side by side. Starting in the center, twist them together until you reach the end. Press the ends together and tuck under. Repeat for the other end.
- Place on baking sheet and cover with oiled plastic wrap. Leave in a warm place to rise for 30 to 40 minutes or until double in size.
- Preheat oven to 400?F (200°C). Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and allow it to cool completely before slicing.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎