Chocolate Rolls with Raspberry Coulis (Guest Post)

Hooray for the first guest post on this blog! It is such a privilege and honor to have Mary from Keep Learning Keep Smiling to be my first guest blogger here today to share her culinary skills with us. Mary is no stranger to many of us in the food blogosphere. Her blogging journey is inspirational and her recipes are exceptional. Two of my favorites are How to make Condensed Milk and Vanilla Custard Slice with Passion Fruit Icing.

Though I have not met Mary in person, her warm and cheerful personality is reflected in her blog and the comments left after her visits. I am thankful to have her as a pioneer visitor to my blog. I deeply appreciate her constant encouragement and advice. Glad to say we have become friends and I hope to meet her in person one day.

When I asked Mary to write a guest post for me, she very readily and happily accepted. Even though I did not have a theme in mind, I knew Mary would come up with something wonderful. I wish I could have tasted this lovely dessert but I have to be content with feasting with my eyes. Please welcome Mary…..

Chocolate Swiss Rolls

Wow……what a surprise! It’s exciting to land myself here! It’s a wonderful feeling to be writing a guest post for Biren, a wonderful food blogger and friend. It’s an even greater thrill to be her first guest blogger! Biren is such a lovely lady. She has a loving family and lives an active life. That’s inspirational! I love her blog, so choked full of awesome recipes. Even though I have just met Biren not too long ago on the blogosphere, it looks like I have known her for a long time.

I was so thrilled when Biren accepted my invitation to be my guest blogger on Mother’s Day. She wrote a wonderful guest post. If you miss it, you can check it out at Mother’s Day Happy Healthy Brunch.

For this guest post, I have chosen to make a dessert……Chocolate Swiss Roll With Raspberry Coulis. Everyone loves dessert I’m sure. STRESSED spelt backward is DESSERTS! No wonder desserts always warm the heart and bring cheers. They are great stress busters. Ever imagine a party without desserts? I would be miserable for sure! I hope this dessert will bring smiles to you and more smiles when you make and enjoy it.

Chocolate rolls with raspberries

This recipe is very simple and easy. You can make 2 rolls. Of course you can make one thicker roll if you like. The baking time would be longer. The chocolate cake layer is rather thin. I think it’s only about 1/2 cm thick.

Ingredients A (cake)
5 eggs (separated)
120g sugar
35g cocoa
1T flour
pinch of salt

Chocolate roll batter

In a mixing bowl, beat the egg yolks and half of the sugar with a cake beater until thick and creamy. Sieve the cocoa, flour and salt into the egg yolk mixture and mix well with a spatula. Do not use the cake beater. Beat the egg white with the other half of the sugar until stiff. Fold into the chocolate mixture above (picture above here). Pour into 2 baking paper lined lamington tins (shallow tins) and bake at 200 degree Celsius for about 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Invert onto a a piece of baking paper and roll up while it’s hot, with the help of the baking paper. Hold for a while and then let go. Let it cool down before spreading with the whipped cream. Roll up and slice into rings. Serve with the raspberry coulis. If you like, you can also add some chopped raspberries into the whipped cream.

Ingredients B (cream)
300 ml double cream
5T icing sugar

Put the double cream and the sugar into a bowl and beat with a hand mixer until thick. This is to spread on the cake before rolling up.

Ingredients C (raspberry coulis)
500g raspberries (fresh or frozen)
1T water
4T sugar (more if you like)

Cooking raspberry coulis

Put the raspberries, water and sugar into a pot and bring to boil. Lower the fire and keep stirring. Use a spoon and press the raspberries to break them up. Skim off any froth on the surface with the spoon. I let it boil for about 15 minutes, stirring it every now and then. Then I let it cool for a while before pouring it into a sieve to remove the bits. The sauce will be quite thick but very delicious to go with the rolls.

Cut the rolls

Other swiss roll recipes that you may be interested in: Best Espresso Coffee Swiss Roll

Quote of the day……

“Zeal without knowledge is like expedition to a man in the dark”
John Newton

Keep Learning Keep Smiling

I want to thank Mary for such a lovely post. I hope you will visit her blog at Keep Learning Keep Smiling and enjoy her wonderful posts and recipes. Please do leave comments as she responds to all comments and will appreciate your visit.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!

Comments

1. IJust LoveMyApron says

I didn't know STRESSED spelt backward is DESSERTS! That's a good one!
    Great guest post. Thanks May and Biren for sharing a sweet delicious post!

2. zerrin says

This is a great guest post. These chocolate rolls look amazing and just one roll will not be enough for us. Yummy! I must go check Mary's blog now.

3. Katty says

Just lovely–and just like both of you, Biren and Mary! :) I enjoy reading you both and am glad to have met you (virtually) through Foodbuzz. Rock on, sistas!

4. rotinrice says

We certainly need some desserts for the strssful lives we lead. The rolls look so delicious, I wish I could have tasted it.

5. rotinrice says

Oh Katty….you are sweet! Mary has such a warm personality and is such a wonderful cook. I truly enjoy reading her posts.

6. sweetlife says

great guest post, love mary shes super talented…this is AMAZING!!! seriously I think I could the whole roll…did I say that aloud?

sweetlife

7. Cook with Madin says

Hi Biren, Hi Mary, the chocolate rolls really looks good. Now I Know why I always feel better after I eat desserts when I'm stressed. I always enjoy visiting both of your sites and both of you are really wonderful people. Keep on blogging.

8. Julie M. says

woah! Biren, you definitely brought the right guest blogger to your space. I think Mary is my new favorite baker. Those look amazing! I can almost taste them through the screen. Thank you Mary for a great post!

9. Jeannie says

Have some whipping cream that I need to use up:D This recipe is a perfect way to clear them! Let's see if I can get my swiss roll to be so thin and roll it up without breaking! That needs skill! Thanks Mary for sharing. You have a great blog here Biren…the homepage heading is enticing enough for me to want to surf around:)
    Cheers!

10. rotinrice says

They certainly do! Mary did such a great job making such a thin layer of cake and then rolling them so beautifully :)

11. rotinrice says

When I first saw the pictures, that was the thing that came across to me too. Mary got the cake layer so nice and thin and still managed to roll it. She is definitely skillful!

Thanks Jeannie for your compliments. Thanks also for visiting and following :)

12. the lacquer spoon says

Hi Biren, thanks for the great post! I just visited Mary's blog and one more thing to say FYI… In Japan, 6 Jun seems National Swiss Roll Day because the figure of "6" represents the rolling shape :)

13. denise fletcher says

Love Swiss rolls and raspberries too!

Thanks Biren for being kind enough to feature guest bloggers on your fabulous blog :)

14. MaryMoh says

A BIG CHEER to everyone for loving the chocolate swiss roll!! Keep Baking Keep Smiling!!! 😀 😀 Biren, thanks very much for letting me write for your wonderful blog…an honour and a delight 😀

15. Dongxing says

Hi Biren, Hi Mary. Swiss Rolls – I love these. One day, I shall pluck up my courage to bake. In the meantime, I shall enjoy feasting with my eyes. Lovely!

16. Jillyann says

I agree with you Biren…I'd rather be stuffing my face with that than just feasting my eyes but (sigh)…… However, I can take the recipe and make my OWN Chocolate Swiss Roll….it looks amazing! Thanks for the post Mary!

17. rotinrice says

Yes, if only we could have tasted it. Mary did such a good job in making the batter so thin and rolling it so beautifully :)

18. rotinrice says

That's right Jillyann! We'll just have to be content to feast with our eyes now and make it soon :)

19. Kelly (Hot Cookin') says

Oh my! You can't go wrong with a chocolate roll with raspberry sauce (coulis). The two just go together. Looks delish!

20. redkathy says

I'm always stressed, it's no wonder why I love desserts, especially Mary's! Great post, fabulous dessert!

21. Mary says

I read your post at Mary's. It looks and sounds like a wonderful dessert. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

22. rotinrice says

I love desserts as I am always stressed too :) This swiss roll will be an excellent stress reliever.

23. rotinrice says

It does take some skill to roll this. I am not sure if I can do it. Mary did such a great job.

24. lequan@luvtoeat says

I absolutely love Mary's recipes. She definitely knows how to do it all and makes everything sound so easy. This is a great recipe that's easy to follow and delicious looking. You can never go wrong with the combo of chocolate and raspberries, yumms! Thank you for sharing Mary.

Thank you for a great guest post Biren.

25. ingrid says

What a wonderful intro and post! I like your idea of making two thinner cakes to roll. Better ratio especially to a filling and frosting lover such as myself.
    ~ingrid