Spicy Sesame Salmon

Spicy Sesame Salmon

Claypots are one of my favorite kitchen cookware. A well seasoned pot is a joy to cook in. Food cooked in these pots are flavorful, moist, and tender. Most claypots can be placed on the stove tops and are able to withstand low to medium heat.

Clay bakers on the other hand are unglazed vessels with lids. They have an attractive and rustic appearance and can be used to serve the dish cooked in it. Clay bakers are never placed on the stove top. They have to be soaked and placed in a cold oven and brought up to temperature. The slow evaporation of steam results in very tender and juicy meats. For more on claypots, do check out my post Claypot Chicken Rice.

Spicy Sesame Salmon

One of the best ways to prepare salmon is to bake it in the clay baker. It keeps the fish juicy and tender. The fresh flavor of cucumber pairs well with the salmon and the piquant sauce makes it very appetizing. This Spicy Sesame Salmon is best served with steamed jasmine rice.

Spicy

Spicy Sesame Salmon

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 lb (450g) salmon fillet, skin removed
  • 1 large cucumber
  • 12 cherry tomatoes, halved
  • 2 tbsp garlic chili sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice wine vinegar
  • ½ tsp sugar
  • 2 tsp sesame oil
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp toasted sesame seeds
  • 1 green onion, finely sliced
  1. Pre-soak claypot as directed.
  2. Peel cucumber and slice in quarters lengthwise. Cut off seeds and slice cucumber diagonally into ¼ inch thick slices. Place in a bowl and sprinkle with salt. Set aside for 20 minutes.
  3. Transfer drained cucumber and tomatoes to pre-soaked claypot.
  4. % http://www.rotinrice.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Cucumber.jpg
  5. Lightly sprinkle salt and pepper on both sides of salmon. Place salmon on cucumber and tomatoes.
  6. Mix garlic chili sauce, vinegar, sugar in a small bowl. Pour over salmon. Drizzle a teaspoon of sesame oil onto salmon.
  7. Cover claypot and put in a cold oven. Set oven temperature to 400?F (200°C) and cook for 40 minutes.
  8. Remove from oven and spoon out excessive juices.
  9. Drizzle with remaining teaspoon of sesame oil. Sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds and green onions.
  10. Serve immediately.

Spicy Sesame Salmon
NOTE: This post was updated on August 23rd, 2012 with new pictures.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. the lacquer spoon says

I haven't made clay pot cooking, how interesting! That makes all the ingredients more flavourful and healthier with less or no oil. Lovely :)

2. Lazaro says

Fantastic salmon dish. Wonderful flavors here. Agree about the clay pots, I have my own and use them often.

Be well

3. incidentalcooksuman says

WOW..thats an healthy and delicious looking salmon dish..liked the bed of veggies underneath the fish..ahh..looks yummilicous…

4. Yummy Team says

Great recipe!! Salmon is our most favorite fish..I am sure we would love this salmon dish..Will try it out and let you know :)

5. lequan@luvtoeat says

This looks wonderful Biren. I'm always looking for different ways to cook slamon. My mom does clay pot cooking with fish a lot but I have never tried cooking in one. Thank you for the info.

6. Cheah says

First time I heard of cooking salmon in a claypot. Must be juicy and yummy. Looks like time to get a claypot and experiment!

7. denise fletcher says

This looks absolutely scrumptious and you've convinced me that I need a clay baker eventhough I've always been afraid it might crack during use!

You're right about one thing – I do find them incredibly attractive!

8. IJust LoveMyApron says

how did i miss this!?
    i love food in a clay pot! Salmon is my favorite fish too. Great recipe Biren!

9. Chef Dennis says

what a perfect salmon dish!! I have been thinking about getting some claypots, or even a tangine…..if you like them that much I definitely have to get one!

10. Rice Palette says

This is wonderful, I absolutely love salmon! Looks super tasty, I like the addition of sesame! Definitely bookmarking this :)