Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Perhaps the most popular kimchi during the spring and summer time is Stuffed Oi Kimchi or Oi Sobagi. Cucumbers are cooling and this kimchi is a tasty accompaniment on warm days. It also has a nice crunchy texture. Prepare oi sobagi in small quantities as it does not keep as long as the cabbage kimchi and should be consumed within one week. Use Kirby or small cucumbers easily available at the farmers markets at this time of the year.

Another kimchi with a crunchy texture is the Kkakdugi (Korean Radish Kimchi). This is another kimchi that is not easily available at the stores. Fortunately, you can now make kkadugi at home as it is one of the easier kimchis to make.

Kkakdugi (Radish Kimchi)

I have made this kimchi several times using a recipe adapted from the cookbook Discovering Korean Cuisine. These little cucumbers are from the farmers market I visited recently. If you would like to check out the post on the market, please click here.

Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Please refer to my Kkakdugi (Korean Radish Kimchi) post for picture and description of Korean radish, chili pepper flakes, and salted shrimps.

Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

• 6 Kirby cucumbers
  • 1 tbsp coarse salt
  • For the Stuffing
  • 2 oz Chinese chives, finely chopped
  • 2 oz Korean radish, finely chooped
  • 1 small carrot, finely chopped
  • 1 tbsp salted shrimp, finely chopped
  • 2 tbsp red pepper powder
  • 1 tsp finely minced ginger
  • 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
  • ½ tsp sugar

Rinse cucumbers and drain. Cut off the both ends of cucumber. Halve cucumber lengthwise into two. Quarter each cucumber half along its length starting from the center of the cucumber leaving about ½ inch of the other end intact.

Sprinkle with coarse salt and leave at room temperature for about two hours. Drain.

Mix all stuffing ingredients in a medium bowl.

Wearing a pair of kitchen gloves, stuff prepared cucumbers with stuffing.

Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.

Notes

Oi kimchi can be eaten right away or kept in the refrigerator for up to one week.

Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi)

NOTE: This post was updated on September 8th, 2014 with new write-up and pictures.

1. Cristina TeenieCakes says:

Mmm. That looks so good, Biren! Now what do Korean radishes look like? I'm gonna have to google that.

2. rotinrice says:

You can check out my post on Kkadugi to see what it looks like. Some of the ingredients used in this kimchi are also shown there http://rotinrice.blogspot.com/2010/02/kkakdugi-ra….

3. kamalika says:

Hi Biren ,how r you..??? lovely and too easy to make dish……

4. rotinrice says:

Hi Kamalika! Glad that you are back. It's been a while….where have you been? I noticed there were no posts on your blog.

5. Anncoo says:

This is beautiful, love the color. I love to make kimchi too, must bookmark it and visit the Korean store tomorrow

6. sayantani says:

love kimchi with dimsum and soup. looks so tempting…

7. lequan@luvtoeat says:

These are beautiful pictures Biren! And such a lovely array of colours too. Needless to say, this is a beautiful dish and presentation. I love the idea of stuffing everything in the mini cucumbers. That makes it so much more fun to eat. This looks so appealing I'd have to hide them away from my kiddies for obvious reasons.

8. Angie's Recipes says:

Well, I don't know much about Korean cuisine, but this sounds and looks like a very different and great kimchi!

9. leaannbrown says:

Great photos and colors. This looks so flavorful and refreshing. Another bookmarked.

10. mina joshi says:

The cucumbers looks great. You have a lovely blog.

There is an Award waiting for you on my blog. Please pop round and collect it.

Mina

That is smart….now I am not sure if "as cool as a cucumber" still works in this concoction of spicy kimchi in it!

12. Carolyn Jung says:

They look so pretty and eye-catching stuffed like that. No worries about eating them within a month. In my house, they'd be lucky to last a week. ;)

13. Cook with Madin says:

Hi Biren, This is great, another version of Kimchi, and this is easy to make. Thank you for sharing.

14. Julie M. says:

Biren, You always make the most unique and exquisite food. This looks delicious!

15. Patty Price says:

Beautiful and refreshing, it's great getting the preview photo on Facebook! These look delicious, thanks for sharing another creative recipe. ps. I found vegan carob chips to make your fruit muffin recipe!

16. rotinrice says:

Thanks Patty! I really appreciated you cheering me on at Facebook. It is a little quiet there.

I am glad you found the carob chips.Those muffins are really tasty and moist. I will have to make another batch soon. My boys really enjoyed them :)

17. Haruna says:

Love the notion of home-made kimchi. Makes one feel homesick or hungry (or both!).

18. denise fletcher says:

Hi Biren :)

I've never seen this sort of kimchi but I love it and must try to make this as commercially prepared kimchi is so disappointing. Love the photography, especially the sixth photo.

19. Tanantha IJLMP says:

Oi Kimchi!!! YES! I love them. Guess what, I have a few cucumbers left after the party and I'm trying to figure out how to get rid of them. This is perfect timing! However, mine are english cucumbers, not kirby. It might work. I will let you know if get around to it.

Your photos look beautiful and so appetizing! I'm craving Korean food now!

20. Joyti says:

Wow, those are so interesting and original. You always have such great and unique recipes!

21. pigpigscorner says:

Stuffing cucumber is new to me. Looks so good! and the filling sounds amazing!

22. sarah says:

new to me..looks so yummy!!!

23. Chef Dennis says:

those not only look amazing, but you get a sense of just how flavorful they are….great presentation too!!

24. lazarocooks says:

Great idea for the stuffed cucumber. Love the kimchi recipe. Well done!

25. rotinrice says:

Thanks Tanantha for your kind words :) I think English cucumbers would work. Just cut them into sections about 2 1/2 inches in length and then quarter them lengthwise but keeping the last half inch intact as shown. Have fun!

26. MaryMoh says:

These are delicious stuffed kimchi. I remember eating a lot of these when I was in Korea. But here I always make the white cabbage kimchi cos my family likes them better.

27. Joanne says:

I'm pretty sure this is the only recipe that could actually get me to enjoy cucumber. Which means it's priceless.

28. rumana says:

wow!!! in Korea i have seen so many types of kimchi and this one is the best looking one i can say:)

29. claire says:

Korean kimchi… I am not used to eating it yet.. but yours certainly look very appetizing!!

30. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says:

What a great loo0king little dish! I love the vibrant flavors and the artistic display!

31. Mary says:

I love the colors of your dish. It really looks delicious. I hope you are having a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

32. Stella says:

OOh Biren, I bet this Oi Kimchi is even better after it marinates in the fridge for a day or two! It looks wonderful-wish I could have one now. It's so hot here!

33. Angel says:

My mother in law makes this kimchi, it is soooo good! Love the crunch of the cuke with the heat of the pepper and the bite of the garlic. It tastes so fresh with rice.

34. rotinrice says:

Hi Angel, thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Glad to hear that you enjoy this kimchi :)

1. May 16, 2011

[...] time as it has been a while since I made my own. If you prefer homemade kimchi, do check out my Stuffed Oi Kimchi (Cucumber Kimchi) or Kkakdugi (Radish [...]

2. September 15, 2011

[...] and serve immediately with a bowl of steamed white rice and some Napa Cabbage Kimchi, Stuffed Oi Kimchi, or [...]

3. November 22, 2013

[…] is a simple home-cooked meal with Stuffed Oi Kimchi, beef stew, Lotus Root and Peanut Soup, omelet, and steaming bowl of white […]