This crunchy Stuffed Oi Kimchi is a wonderful condiment during the warm summer months. It uses small Kirby cucumbers easily available in the summer.
Perhaps the most popular kimchi during the spring and summer time is Stuffed Oi Kimchi or Oi Sobagi. Cucumbers are cooling and this kimchi is a tasty accompaniment on warm days. It also has a nice crunchy texture. Prepare oi sobagi in small quantities as it does not keep as long as the cabbage kimchi and should be consumed within one week. Use Kirby or small cucumbers easily available at the farmers markets at this time of the year.
Another kimchi with a crunchy texture is the Kkakdugi (Korean Radish Kimchi). This is another kimchi that is not easily available at the stores. Fortunately, you can now make kkadugi at home as it is one of the easier kimchis to make.
I have made this kimchi several times using a recipe adapted from the cookbook Discovering Korean Cuisine. These little cucumbers are from the farmers market I visited recently. If you would like to check out the post on the market, please click here.
Please refer to my Kkakdugi (Korean Radish Kimchi) post for picture and description of Korean radish, chili pepper flakes, and salted shrimps.
- 6 Kirby cucumbers
- 1 tbsp coarse salt
- 2 oz Chinese chives, finely chopped
- 2 oz Korean radish, finely chooped
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salted shrimp, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp red pepper powder
- 1 tsp finely minced ginger
- 6 cloves garlic, finely minced
- ½ tsp sugar
- Rinse cucumbers and drain. Cut off the both ends of cucumber. Halve cucumber lengthwise into two. Quarter each cucumber half along its length starting from the center of the cucumber leaving about ½ inch of the other end intact.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt and leave at room temperature for about two hours. Drain.
- Mix all stuffing ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Wearing a pair of kitchen gloves, stuff prepared cucumbers with stuffing.
- Store in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
NOTE: This post was updated on September 8th, 2014 with new write-up and pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎