Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

I am so excited to tell you that my Pear Pie with Crumb Topping and GF Hazelnut Crust won a one year subscription to Bon Appétit magazine over at Faith and Brandy’s All Through the Year Cheer Thanksgiving Event. I had great fun coming up with the recipe and the family really enjoyed the pie. I’ll be making the pie again today for our feast tomorrow as my boys requested for it. This is such a great start to the holidays. Please visit All Through the Year Cheer Thanksgiving Round-Up for the fantastic roundup of holiday dishes. A big THANK YOU to Faith and Brandy for hosting this fabulous event.

Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

Much as I love pumpkin and squashes, I promise this Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin will be the last post on it for the season. This dessert is perfect for the holidays and makes a lovely finale to a cozy dinner with framily and friends. It is light, yet warm and satisfying. The stewed fruits are sweet and fragrant, almost wine-like. Served with a scoop of that soft, juicy, golden flesh, it feels like a warm hug on a cold night…..a perfect end to a sumptuous meal.

Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

This dish is simple to prepare and can be done ahead of time. The fruits can be left soaking in the apple juice and spices in the hollowed-out pumpkin the night before. The next day, add the butter and pop it into the oven when the roast turkey is taken out. Leave it to bake while you enjoy dinner. It will be done when you are ready for dessert.

Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 4 servings
  • 1 medium sized sugar pumpkin
  • ¾ cup (180ml) apple juice
Stuffing
  • 2 cups of mixed dried fruits and nuts (I used cranberries, raisins, apricots, and pecans)
  • ¼ cup (45g) brown sugar
  • 2 cinnamon sticks
  • ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
  • A dash of ground cloves
  • 2 tbsp butter
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
  2. Combine all stuffing ingredients in a medium-sized bowl.
  3. Cut off top of pumpkin around stem to make a “lid”. Remove seeds and scrape out stringy pulp.
  4. Fill with stuffing and pour in apple juice.
  5. Place pumpkin in an oven proof dish. Replace “lid” onto pumpkin.
  6. Baked for 1½ to 2 hours or until it is fork tender.
  7. Serve warm.
Notes
More mixed dried fruits, nuts, and apple juice may be required depending on the size of the pumpkin. Cooking time may also vary. Please adjust accordingly.

I am linking this to Friday Shout-Out.

Sweet Stuffed Pumpkin

Let us be thankful for our many blessings. A safe, healthy and happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Comments

1. says

Hi Biren,

Congratulations for winning a year’s subscription to Bon Appétit mag! Hope you will share with us more ideas. Love all your creative ideas already so can’t wait for more :-)

Oh btw, you could add some booze, like rum or cognac in your sweet stuffed pumpkin and then flambé that before serving 😉

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family.

2. says

Congratulations Biren for the win…
    But i loved this stuffed pumpkin more than the news and i am not mean :)
    I have had a pumpkin stuffed baked custard and never imagined this kind of a stuffing … and this booze idea looks great , i will be making it soon .

3. says

Congratulations on your winning pear pie recipe, Biren! Your stuffed pumpkin photos are absolutely beautiful. I may have trouble finding pumpkins where I live, but I think this recipe will work wonderfully well with other large winter squashes. I’m looking forward to trying it! Thank you and…Happy Thanksgiving! ~ Cleo

4. says

Congratulations on your Pear Pie with Crumb Topping and GF Hazelnut Crust win!

Really like what you’ve done with this sweet stuffed pumpkin. The pumpkin you picked couldn’t be more perfect too. Wishing you and your family a safe and happy holiday weekend, Biren!

5. says

Congrats Biren! Your pear pie looks absolutely gorgeous and delicious! I still haven’t cooked with pumpkin this season..sigh. We had snow storm this week and we had to eat and cook what we had in the fridge haha. I like a roasted whole pumpkin. It gives you a different feeling.

Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family!

• Biren says

Thanks Tanantha! For a city that hardly sees snow, even 2 inches can wreak havoc. It is good to have a well stocked fridge and pantry in the colder months.

I am having my fill of pumpkins and squashes. I use them in place of potatoes when they come into season in the fall :)

A Happy Thanksgiving to you as well. Stay warm!

6. says

Congratulations Biren on the winning. That’s a lovely recipe pie recipe :)

Love this stuffed pumpkin too. Very beautiful shots and looks delicious too.

7. says

hi Biren,

congratulations on winning your one year subscription to Bon Appétit magazine. that pie recipe really was a great one, well deserved! you amaze me with your diverse cooking skills and dishes. another wonderful dish indeed. i love that you used the pumpkin as the cooking “pot”. hope you and your family have a very Happy Thanksgiving. i know your boys will be enjoying a prize winning dessert 😉

8. says

Congratulations on winning. Your food and recipes are always so good that it comes as no surprise, however. I love the way you stuffed pumpkin sounds. I hope you are having a great day. Blessings…Mary

9. says

Biren-Congratulations, on the year subscription to Bon Appetit. I’ve been subscribing to it for years…never miss an issue. Did the same to Gourmet…sad to see it go.
    Your sweet stuffed pumpkin is an absolute perfection…your holiday greeting is so kind.
    Wishing you, and your family, a very HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

10. says

I love the look of this sweet pumpkin dessert! Looks so flavourful! and that slice of pear pie looks delicious too! Congrats on your win and Happy Thanksgiving!

11. says

Congratulations on your win Biren :) A year’s subscription to Bon Appetit is an enviable prize! It’s not surprising that yours was the winning entry…

I love the stuffed dessert pumpkin idea – so original, and it really is a perfect specimen! Not a blemish!

Hope you and your family have a wonderful, warm and cosy Thanksgiving! As you know, we don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here, but today I really have something to be thankful for – Joseph got his PSLE exam results today and he did much better than I dared hope :)

• Biren says

Thanks Denise! I am looking forward to receiving those mags. Glad to hear that Joseph did well in his exams. That is certainly something to be thankful for :)

12. says

Hey Biren, Congrats! Well deserved indeed. I’m back in action, after my vacation :)

Looks like u like pumpkins a lot. I love the way you present this dessert. Happy Thanksgiving!

13. says

Congrats babe on the win! And I hope you had an amazing Thanksgiving! I love the sound of this sweet stuffed squash. Thankfully, pumpkin season lives on in my mind so I still have a chance to try it!

14. says

Hi Biren…. you can keep posting as many pumpkin posts as you would like! I love sweet pumpkin! And Congratulations on getting that subscription – That pie was amazing! Have a super day eating leftovers and enjoying your family! xoxo
    Megan

15. says

I hope you and your family had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Biren! Your stuffed pumpkin looks wonderful…and I actually have a pumpkin in my pantry I’ve been wondering what to do with…thanks! :) Thanks so much for entering our All Through the Year Cheer event — Brandy and I absolutely loved your pie! :)

16. says

Happy Thanksgiving Biren! I hope you had a wonderful day and feast! This recipe looks absolutely divine! It’s such a wonderful touch to use a pumpkin as the serving dish.

17. says

Hey Biren! This pumpkin is such a cool trick/treat (smile). Oh, and I made a similar pear pie based on your recipe. It was delicious, so I can see why you won. Nice!
    Oh, and I would have posted and linked to you, but my pie was straight up ugly (smile). We thoroughly enjoyed it though;)

18. says

I’m so happy you enjoyed the All Through The Year Cheer event. On the 1st we are posting our Christmas event :)

This pumpkin looks great too. I’m betting it smells like heaven when it’s cooking.

Trackbacks