Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

Ramen soup is typically clear with dashi, chicken, or beef stock as the base, flavored with shoyu. More recent flavors like miso and curry ramen soups are usually chicken or pork based and tend to be heartier. They are gaining popularity and during my last visit to Japan I had the opportunity to taste a delicious bowl of Curry ramen at Yokosuka, well known for its navy curry. This curry ramen reminded me of the miso ramen I had at Japantown, San Francisco some years back.

Miso ramen is a specialty of Sapporo. The soup is kotteri (rich and oily) made with pork bones and flavored with miso. The noodles come with a variety of toppings such as slices of pork belly, hard boiled eggs, bean sprouts, corn, and bamboo shoots. It is often served with chili oil. This is a very hearty and flavorful bowl of noodles perfect for this time of the year.

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

I used a combination of shiro (white) and aka (red) miso to give the soup a slightly stronger miso flavor. I also made teriyaki pork tenderloin instead of belly pork for the topping. The buttered corn kernels lends a little “creaminess” to the soup. Definitely add in the garlic chili oil as it binds and intensifies the flavors.

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

Cook Time: 2 hours, 15 minutes

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

• 6 oz soy bean sprouts, ends trimmed
  • 12 oz (340g) dried ramen
  • 1 tsp sesame oil
  • 2 tbsp vegetable oil
  • 3 green onions, finely sliced
  • 1/3 cup (80g) shiro miso
  • 1/3 cup (80g) aka miso
  • Topping
  • Slices of teriyaki pork tenderloin
  • Buttered corn kernels
  • 4 hard cooked eggs, sliced into half lengthwise
  • 4 tbsp chili bamboo shoots (optional)
  • 2 green onions, finely sliced
  • 2 tbsp (28g) butter
  • Garlic Chili Oil
  • 2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil

Stock

Bring half a pot of water to boil. Add pork bones and allow it to continue boiling for 5 minutes. Remove bones with thongs. Rinse of scum if any. Discard water and rinse the pot.

Fill pot with 10 cups (2.4 liters) of water. Bring it to a boil. Add ginger and return pork bones to the pot. When it comes to a boil, reduce heat and allow it to simmer for 2 hours.

Teriyaki Pork Tenderloin

Combine soy sauce, mirin, brown sugar, and ½ cup (120ml) water in a bowl.

Heat vegetable oil in a deep fry pan. Brown pork tenderloin on all sides, about 5 minutes. Pour sauce into the pan. Cover, reduce heat to medium low and allow pork tenderloin to cook for 30 minutes, turning once half way through. Do keep an eye on it as sauce may darken and thicken. If needed, add another ¼ cup (60ml) water so that it does not burn.

When done, remove pork tenderloin from pan. Cut into thin slices when cool enough to handle.

Buttered Corn Kernels

Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add corn kernels and cook for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.

Garlic Chili Oil

Combine garlic, pepper flakes, and canola oil in a small microwavable dish. Microwave on high for approximately 1½ minutes. Remove and set aside.

Cook Bean Sprouts and Noodles

Bring a large pot of water to boil. Lightly scald bean sprouts for about 20 seconds. Remove with slotted spoon. Set aside.

Add noodles and cook as per packaging instructions. Drain and rinse under cold water. Add sesame oil. Toss to coat.

Divide noodles into 4 bowls. Top each bowl with slices of teriyaki pork tenderloin, some scalded bean sprouts, buttered corn kernels, and chili bamboo shoots (if using).

Soup

Put shiro and aka miso in a medium sized bowl. Pour a cup (240ml) of boiling stock over miso. Stir to melt miso. Set aside.

In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil. Add sliced green onions and fry for 2 minutes. Pour in 8 cups (1.8 liters) stock. When stock comes to a boil, reduce heat to minimum setting.

Gently pour melted miso back into pot. Do not allow soup to come to a boil. Turn off heat.

Finally, pour miso soup over noodles and toppings in each bowl. Sprinkle with sliced green onions and drizzle with garlic chili oil.

Serve immediately with nori.

Although there appears to be many steps involved in the cooking of this Sapporo Style Miso Ramen, it really is not complicated. Do give it a try. It will definitely be worth your efforts. Karaku oishii desu!

Sapporo Style Miso Ramen

NOTE: This post was updated on October 18th, 2013 with new pictures. Some changes were also made to the recipe.

1. lequan says:

Definitely agree, perfect for this time of the year. I have a weakness for miso flavored dishes. If I ate pork, this soup would be gone in record time. You’ve made it look so good that even I’m questioning why I don’t eat pork. As always, great pictures!

2. Jay says:

This is very rich n delicious…
    Tasty appetite

3. Sharon says:

I LOVE miso. I could have it anytime, anyday. Your ramen looks delicious! And I just love your star-shaped carrots haha. I would love a bowl of this right about now. Or maybe even 10 ;).

4. DongXing says:

Biren, My daughter loves this type of soupy noodle, Japanese style. I am definitely going to attempt this with chicken stock and roasted teriyaki pork tenderloin this weekend. I do agree that the chilli oil is a definite must for the grown-ups! My daughter would insist on heart-shaped carrots and eggs!

I’ve been craving this for a while and I am glad I finally made it. The family thoroughly enjoyed it. Will have to make it again soon as it is really satisfying in this cold weather. :)

5. A bowl calling my name. I love this curly ramen…LOVE IT!! The flavors…the garnishings….

6. Suchitra says:

I love soupy noodles- and the presentation looks great!

7. Roxan says:

Hi Biren! I’ve missed you :)
    I love sapporo style ramen, it’s so flavorful and delicious. Did you also make the ones in the first couple photos? I love how the carrots are cut out into little stars!

Aww Roxan…I’ve missed you too! I saw your lovely vacation pictures on Facebook. Looks like you had a great time.

I actually made these twice because I enjoyed them so much. That bowl of noodles in the first two pictures were made yesterday for lunch. I saved some chicken stock from the previous evening, enough for a bowl of noodles. As I had a little more time, I tried out my new Japanese carrot cutters. They worked really well. :)

8. Anncoo says:

Biren, when you’re here next time I’m going to bring you to Ajisen Ramen. Their Ramen with pork bone soup base are very popular that comes with Japanese Cha Shao, soft pork ribs and many of your own choices.

I’ll look forward to that. I love noodles and can never get enough of it. Japanese cha siew is different from the Chinese ones. I had Japanese style cha siew noodles in Osaka and it was delicious!

9. Great authentic ramen! I`ve been dreaming about a big bowl of noodles lately — it looks like you made my dream come true! Theresa

Hi Theresa! Thanks for visiting! There is something comforting about a big bowl of noodles. I hope you will give this a try. :)

10. The boys and I would LOVE to tuck into a big bowl of that right now. Looks great!!!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s For Dinner

11. Victoria says:

I like your lightened up version!! Pork tenderloin is also one of my favorites :)

12. Faith says:

This is an absolutely beautiful bowl of noodles! I love each and every component and I bet they all taste delicious together. I love your attention to detail — the flower carrrots are so cute, Biren! :)

13. Blackswan says:

I love Ramen & this is good. The garlic oil makes me drool. I want lots of that pleeeeeeeeese! Well done!

14. Julie M. says:

Ok, silly question I’m sure, but how did you get your carrots shaped like flowers? They’re so cute! I really love ramen soup of all kinds. Your version looks so very, very good.

I used a vegetable cutter. You can also use a small cookie cutter. I love all kinds of soupy noodles. I hope you will give this a try.

15. Sommer @ ASP says:

Oh Biren, I LOVE this sort of soup. And your little perfectly cut carrots are too cute!

16. Jeannie says:

Wow I love the look of your ramen, especially the pork on the top! Delicious!

17. Biren-Your miso soup is absolutely gorgeous. Love the ramen noodles with it and the pork tenderloin. The spicy garlic oil is something that I love to make, as well!
    Everything is amazing, that I would certainly want to try!

18. MaryMoh says:

Mmmm….love this….a very warming and comforting meal in a bowl. I love miso, too. I cooked miso seaweed soup yesterday…delicious. Hope you have a wonderful day.

19. This Sapporo Style Miso Ramen sounds wonderful, I like your substitutions to make it lighter, would love to try this!

20. Cristina says:

I could eat this everyday. This ramen is hearty, comfort food for anytime of the year. It’s only morning right now and I wish I had a big bowl of this right now.

I luv what you did with the carrots, Biren. I recently saw a picture in a mag where they did something similar in heart shapes. :)

21. Great minds think alike! I just bought miso paste and made miso marinade for fish. Roxan just made miso sesame dressing and you made miso ramen (my favorite!) I love ramen!

22. This is what I am craving right now, a huge bowl of miso ramen! YUM!

23. YUMMM!! That looks incredible!! I could so use a bowl of that right now… *looks longingly at photo*

24. Reeni says:

This is the most delicious bowl of Ramen I’ve ever seen Biren! The layers of flavor are amazing and your presentation beautiful!

25. Biren – it’s raining now, the sky is grey and I’m actually shivering! This looks so very good! The roast pork is perfect and the first 2 and last photos look like cook book shots!! Wonderful bowl of comfort!

26. Zoe says:

Delicious! I can have this Ramen everyday.

I am always confused by the different ramen defined by various regions in Japan. Any delicious ramen with rich broth is gonna be good!

28. This is a perfect treat for any time of year! And I would want more snow peas!

29. love2cook says:

Complete bowl! We don’t eat pork…so will omit that. ;)

30. mathhew says:

This ramen is really rich and savory.Like to try it one of this days.

31. Joy says:

The minute I saw the word Ramen you won my heart. This is so lovely I love the addition of the pork tenderloin!

32. This is a very lovely soup Biren, and I am crazy over your carrot cutter :)

33. Gosh Biren, this is sure a one bowl dish that I will go crazy with. Love all the toppings and the pork tenderloin look sooo good :)

1. January 26, 2011

[…] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Alltop Food and Caterham Business, Roti n Rice. Roti n Rice said: Sapporo Style Miso Ramen http://www.rotinrice.com/2011/01/sapporo-style-miso-ramen/ […]

2. April 9, 2014

[…] Sapporo Style Miso Ramen from Roti n Rice […]

3. April 22, 2014

[…] Sandwich from Skinnytaste // Hard Boiled Egg Chocolate Chip Cookies from Plain Chicken // Sapporo Style Miso Ramen from Roti n Rice // Egg & Rapini Casserole from The Healthy […]