I am thrilled to have my dear friend and guest, the lovely and talented Ann, from Anncoo Journal with us today. Ann blogs out of the beautiful city state of Singapore where she lives with her hubby and two sweet pets, Cookie and Dodo. I had the privilege of meeting Ann during my last visit to the region and we continue to keep in contact via email. You can read about our meeting here.
Ann is a master baker and she creates the most gorgeous and mouth watering cakes and desserts. Two of my favorites are her Mango Mirror Cake and Koi Fish Agar-agar. She has a very impressive list of cakes, desserts, and savory dishes on her blog. Please do take time to visit. You will not be disappointed. And now, please welcome Ann…
I am honored and flattered to be invited to do a guest post at Biren’s site, Roti n Rice. I have no idea what to make for my dear friend as Biren is a very talented cook and her food always makes me drool especially her Asian food. So when I asked Biren what she wants me to do for the guest post, she said she would like me to make a dessert for her. As the Korean strawberries are in season now and you can easily find them in the market, I decided to make a healthy dessert with strawberries. According to Flame communications, over 350 tons of Korean strawberries were imported to Singapore in previous years. Korean strawberries are very sweet and juicy and they are high of vitamin C and anti-oxidants are a big draw to Singaporeans.
So here is the beautiful and healthy dessert ~ Strawberry Sunburst with Almond Cream that using soya milk instead of full cream milk. To prepare the almond cream, I also added some Amaretto liqueur for a richer flavor. The almond cream can be prepared a day or two ahead, stored in the refrigerator and assemble the strawberries on the cream before your guests arrive.
Here is the recipe…
- 500 – 700g Fresh strawberries, medium sized, stemmed and sliced thinly
- Mint leaves for garnishing
- 120ml Unsweetened soya milk
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ tbsp Caster sugar
- ½ tsp Corn flour
- 30g Butter, softened
- 2 tbsp Caster sugar
- 6 tbsp Ground almond
- 1 Egg yolk
- ½ tbsp Amaretto liqueur
- 20 Strawberries, washed and stemmed
- 2 tbsp Sugar
- 1 tbsp Water
- Bring the soya milk to a boil. Separately blend egg yolk, sugar and corn flour.
- Slowly add the boiled milk to the egg mixture and cook on low heat for about 3 minutes until mixture becomes smooth. Put in fridge and chill for about 20-30 minutes.
- Using electric mixer to beat butter, sugar and ground almond for 1 minute then add egg yolk and Amaretto liqueur, continue to beat for another minute.
- Then fold Almond cream into the Pastry cream and keep refrigerated until needed. This can be prepared one or two days in advance.
- Using a blender, puree the strawberries with 1 tbsp water and 2 tbsp sugar until smooth and keep refrigerated.
- Spread the almond cream mixture in a circular shape, covering ⅔ of a dinner plate.
- Place the sliced strawberries on top of the cream in a sunburst design, arranging in a fan pattern.
- Pour the strawberry coulis around the strawberries to form a red ring, garnish with mint leaf or add a dollop of vanilla ice cream when serve.
Thank you Ann, for taking the time to share this lovely recipe with us. This would make a very impressive dessert when there is company. I can’t wait for strawberries to come in season again so that I can try out your wonderful creation.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)