Strawberry Sunburst with Almond Cream from Anncoo Journal

I am thrilled to have my dear friend and guest, the lovely and talented Ann, from Anncoo Journal with us today. Ann blogs out of the beautiful city state of Singapore where she lives with her hubby and two sweet pets, Cookie and Dodo. I had the privilege of meeting Ann during my last visit to the region and we continue to keep in contact via email. You can read about our meeting here.

Ann is a master baker and she creates the most gorgeous and mouth watering cakes and desserts. Two of my favorites are her Mango Mirror Cake and Koi Fish Agar-agar. She has a very impressive list of cakes, desserts, and savory dishes on her blog. Please do take time to visit. You will not be disappointed. And now, please welcome Ann…

I am honored and flattered to be invited to do a guest post at Biren’s site, Roti n Rice. I have no idea what to make for my dear friend as Biren is a very talented cook and her food always makes me drool especially her Asian food. So when I asked Biren what she wants me to do for the guest post, she said she would like me to make a dessert for her. As the Korean strawberries are in season now and you can easily find them in the market, I decided to make a healthy dessert with strawberries. According to Flame communications, over 350 tons of Korean strawberries were imported to Singapore in previous years. Korean strawberries are very sweet and juicy and they are high of vitamin C and anti-oxidants are a big draw to Singaporeans.

So here is the beautiful and healthy dessert ~ Strawberry Sunburst with Almond Cream that using soya milk instead of full cream milk. To prepare the almond cream, I also added some Amaretto liqueur for a richer flavor. The almond cream can be prepared a day or two ahead, stored in the refrigerator and assemble the strawberries on the cream before your guests arrive.

Here is the recipe…

• ½ tbsp Amaretto liqueur
  • Strawberry Coulis
  • 20 Strawberries, washed and stemmed
  • 2 tbsp Sugar
  • 1 tbsp Water

Pastry Cream

Bring the soya milk to a boil. Separately blend egg yolk, sugar and corn flour.

Slowly add the boiled milk to the egg mixture and cook on low heat for about 3 minutes until mixture becomes smooth. Put in fridge and chill for about 20-30 minutes.

Almond Cream

Using electric mixer to beat butter, sugar and ground almond for 1 minute then add egg yolk and Amaretto liqueur, continue to beat for another minute.

Then fold Almond cream into the Pastry cream and keep refrigerated until needed. This can be prepared one or two days in advance.

Strawberry Coulis

Using a blender, puree the strawberries with 1 tbsp water and 2 tbsp sugar until smooth and keep refrigerated.

To finish and serve

Spread the almond cream mixture in a circular shape, covering 2/3 of a dinner plate.

Place the sliced strawberries on top of the cream in a sunburst design, arranging in a fan pattern.

Pour the strawberry coulis around the strawberries to form a red ring, garnish with mint leaf or add a dollop of vanilla ice cream when serve.

Enjoy!

Thank you Ann, for taking the time to share this lovely recipe with us. This would make a very impressive dessert when there is company. I can’t wait for strawberries to come in season again so that I can try out your wonderful creation.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. rebecca says:

oh looks so good adore Ann’s blog great guest post

2. Tiffany says:

This is stunning!

3. Our Eyes Eat First says:

what a beautiful presentation! And Im sure it tastes just as wonderful as it looks : j

Hi Our Eyes Eat First! hanks for visiting. Yes, the dessert is gorgeous and I can’t wait to try out the recipe. :)

4. Anncoo says:

You’re welcome Biren :) Thank you very much for the invitation. So glad you like this post and hope that your readers enjoy this post too.
    Have a nice day :)
    Ann

You are most welcomed Ann! I am looking forward to spring and trying your recipe when strawberries come into season. :)

5. Jasmine says:

is really nice to have friends who share the same interest and enjoy it together (:

6. Jeannie says:

Wow! That looks so pretty! Bet the taste is delicious too! I know I would enjoy this dessert too:) Great post Ann:)

7. Shirley says:

What a gorgeous dish!

8. Ann IS a master baker – always and inspiration and this combo is gorgeous. It’s great that you guys got to meet up.

9. looks wonderfully delicious and colourful dessert

10. A very pretty strawberry sunburst!

11. Roxan says:

Wow this looks amazing! Those strawberries look so fresh and delicious… Awesome presentation. this dessert would be welcome at my table any time!

12. LeQuan says:

This is simply gorgeous, Ann! I love your addition of the Amaretto liqueur. At first glance this looked complicated to make, but I’m glad it’s not as complicated as it looks. Thank you Biren and Ann for sharing.

13. Stella says:

Hey Biren and & Ann! This is my kind of dessert, Ladies! I love the idea of fresh strawberries with an almond cream made with soy milk. Yum! Perfection if you ask me…;-)

14. Zoe says:

I’m big fan of Ann’s blog too.

This dessert is so lovely bursting lots of colors and the almond cream is such a delicious idea.

15. Jessie says:

Love Ann guest post! A nice dessert to fight off the heat!

Hi Jessie! Thanks for visiting. Although it is still cold here, this dessert will be most welcomed at our home. :)

16. Ann really is the masterchef! She can bake anything! This looks really good. Definitely restaurant worthy =)

Hi Clare! Thanks for visiting. Yes, Ann is very talented. I wish I could bake have as well as her. This dessert is gorgeous!

17. sophia says:

That’s great that you got to meet Ann…she is fabulous! And this dish sounds amazing!! I’ve had almond cream before, but not with strawberries, looking so pretty like this!

18. Blackswan says:

Two lovely bloggers coming together? Awesome! And what a coincidence….. I’ve just made a salad out of Strawberries too. Ann’s right, these Strawberries are in season now & best part, prices have dropped & I’ve gotten myself 2 big boxes :)

Berries are best eaten when in season as they are sweeter and less expensive. We should be seeing them at the stores soon. :)

19. How pretty! It will be a great centerpiece.

20. This one is a dessert for the eyes first and then the belly and the fact that it is made with soy milk and almonds….oh a wicked deliciousness that’s good for us! Gluttony, here I come :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

21. Oh it’s sooooooo beautiful!!! I wouldn’t want to eat it it’s so beautiful…but I would! :) Just stopped by to say thanks for your sweet words of support about my little 2 year old jailbird Cooper. Sorry it took me so long to get back to you for commenting on that post…It’s been a bit of wild ride around here. Thank you again and I’ll talk to you soon.

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma, What’s For Dinner

22. lena says:

hi biren & ann, just came over from ann’s blog. This dessert looks impressive! hough it doesnt sound too difficultto make, i’m very sure this will make great presentation on the dining table. I just went back and read on the singapore trip, it’s been 20 years since my last trip there but i agree that there’s so much food, endless shopping and always new discoveries! have a great weekend!

23. This looks TOO good! Love strawberries. I’ve always loved raspberry coulis but never had strawberry. I bet it’s delicious! What a great healthy snack! I could eat the WHOLE plate :D. Thanks Ann for the post and Biren for sharing it!

24. The strawberry sunburst dessert looks pretty! I can imagine how much fun it would be to eat this delightful dessert. Great recipe, Ann! Have a lovely weekend, ladies!

25. Jill Colonna says:

Hi Biren,
    Thanks for introducing us to Ann. What a gorgeous looking dessert and love all of her dessert titles. Sunburst on the strawberries is just brilliant. Must check out Ann’s blog, too.
    Bon weekend!

26. Thanks for sharing such a beautiful dessert Ann – almonds and soy milk are two of my favourite ingredients and the presentation is just gorgeous! I usually eat strawberries fridge cold, just as they are but it’s worth taking a little time to do a lovely dessert like this!

27. That is so gorgeous Ann…fantastic guest post! Now I wish I were not allergic to strawberries, they are just so pretty.