Pineapple Ham Fried Rice with a combination of sweet, salty, and fruity flavors that is…
Jazzed up Pineapple, Lemongrass, and Coconut Fried Rice served in a pineapple boat for a truly Southeast Asian flavor. Very fragrant and delicious!
I seldom buy pineapples because I often end up having to eat more than half the fruit myself. I would not have minded it as much if the pineapples were sweet, but sadly that isn’t always the case. Recently I bought one as I was craving Rojak, hence the Spicy Chocolate Rojak. That pineapple from Costa Rica was really sweet. I am hooked!
Fried Rice with a Southeast Asian Flavor
Knowing that I will not be able to use the entire fruit for the Rojak, I thought about using the other half for this Pineapple, Lemongrass, and Coconut Fried Rice. It worked out really well as there was enough pineapples for the two dishes and a little left over for snacking. I jazzed up the fried rice with lemongrass and pan fried coconut flakes, giving it a truly Southeast Asian flavor. Ro-Ri San and I enjoyed the dish but the taste was a little too exotic for the boys. They did, however, liked the presentation.
If you are planning to use the pineapple shell to serve the rice, carefully slice the fruit in half lengthwise. Cut around the skin with a small paring knife, leaving about half an inch of flesh. Make several hash cuts on the flesh so that it can be easily scooped up with a spoon.
Tools Used in Making This Pineapple, Lemongrass, and Coconut Fried Rice
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
For more tools and products used in my kitchen, please check out Roti n Rice’s Amazon Page.
Pineapple, Lemongrass, and Coconut Fried Rice
- 5 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup chopped pineapples
- 8 oz shrimps (peeled and deveined) (225g)
- ½ red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1 cup frozen green peas (150g)
- ½ cup unsweetened dried grated coconut (pan fried)
- 2 lemongrass (thinly sliced the last 4 inches from the bottom)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tsp garlic chili sauce (optional)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper
- In a small fry pan, dry fry coconut flakes until fragrant and lightly browned. Remove and set aside.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large pan. Add lemongrass and garlic. Sauté till fragrant, about 2 minutes. Stir in garlic chili sauce, pineapples, shrimps, red bell pepper, and frozen peas. Cook for about 3 minutes or until shrimps turn pink and start to curl.
- Add rice, soy sauce, salt and pepper. Stir till well combined and rice is dry, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Turn off heat. Sprinkle coconut flakes on the top. Stir to mix it in.
- Remove and serve immediately.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎