I hope all you mothers out there had a wonderful Mother’s Day. Thank you for your warm wishes. I had a pretty relaxing day with minimal work in the kitchen. Ro-Ri San prepared breakfast and we went out for a family style Italian lunch. The meal was lovely and very satisfying. For tea, we had this Mango Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting and Orange Blossom Panna Cotta with Orange Sauce. We were stuffed and only needed a simple and light dinner that evening.
Mango is one of my favorite fruits and I like using it in desserts when in season. With the Orange Coconut Cake recipe as a guide, I made this cake Friday evening and frosted it on Saturday. The cake was moist and tender. It could stand on its own but the cream cheese frosting made it even more delicious.
Cream cheese frosting is one of my favorite frosting. It is smooth, creamy, and not too sweet. This frosting goes well with most cakes.
- 1¾ cups (260g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup (110g) butter
- ⅔ cup (150g) sugar
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup (180ml) mango puree
- ½ (120ml) cup milk
- 8 oz (225g) cream cheese
- 2 tbsp (30g) butter, softened
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ¾ cup powdered (icing) sugar
- Grease and lightly flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan. Preheat oven at 350°F (180°C).
- In a medium sized bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Add flour mixture, mango puree, milk and beat on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 50 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pan and allow to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat together cream cheese, butter, and vanilla till light and fluffy, about 2 minutes. Gradually beat in powdered sugar until smooth and creamy, another 2 minutes.
- Spread onto cooled cake.
Decorate as desired. I used small pieces of dried mangoes to give it a pop of color.
Serve it in thick slices with a side of mango hedgehog.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!