Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

Scones conjure up images of an idyllic afternoon sipping tea and savoring tiny morsels of food with dainty china and lace tablecloth. No afternoon tea will be complete without scones. These lightly sweetened treats are best eaten warm with butter, clotted cream, and jam. Flavored scones can stand on their own with just a little butter, if desired. They are usually flaky and tender but some are more cake-like in texture.

Today’s Strawberry Sour Cream Scones are more cake-like in texture but still quite delicious. They are soft and buttery with a slight tang from the sour cream. I came across this recipe in one of my cookbooks, Tea-Time at the Inn by Gail Greco. This is an interesting scone recipe that is eggless and uses sour cream. I was eager to give it a try but decided to use strawberries instead of blueberries as they are in season right now. It was one of those buy one-get-one-free kind of deal that I could not pass up.

Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

The recipe below was adapted from Tea-Time at the Inn cookbook by Gail Greco.

Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

Yield: 10 scones

Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

• 2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1/3 cup (80g) cold butter
  • 1/3 cup (75ml) milk
  • ½ cup (115g) sour cream
  • 1 cup chopped strawberries

Preheat oven to 425°F (220°C). Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and sugar in a large bowl. Cut butter into flour mix until it resembles coarse breadcrumbs. Mix in strawberries. In a small bowl, combine milk and sour cream. Pour into strawberry mixture and blend till a sticky dough forms.

Turn onto a lightly floured surface and roll out to ½-inch thickness. Cut dough with 3-inch round cutter.

Bake in oven for 15 minutes or until golden brown.

These delightful Strawberry Sour Cream Scones are best eaten warm with a little butter and a cup of tea.

Strawberry Sour Cream Scones

Biren

1. These sound so good, I wish strawberries stayed in season longer, I will have to make these sooner rather than later. Love the Beatrix Potter plate, my daughter had that bedding when she was little.
    -Gina-

Hi Gina, thanks for visiting! I feel excited going to the grocery stores these days with so many varieties of fruits and veges to choose from. Strawberries are wonderful. I need to get some more for making jam. They are so, so good.

Oh yes…I love my Beatrix Potter plates. They are just adorable! :)

2. Erin says:

I was just thinking about finding a scone recipe today! These look wonderful!

3. My afternoon tea would be perfectly complete with this.

Scones are just perfect with tea! I even made a batch of gluten free ones for my son.

• Ellyn says:

I am recently gluten free, but I want these scones so hard-core. What substitutions should I make?

I simply substituted the all-purpose flour with 2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill gluten free biscuit and baking mix.

For my own gluten free mix, I would use 1 1/4 cup brown rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, 1/4 corn starch, and 1 tsp guar gum in place of the all-purpose flour, followed by the rest of the ingredients.

4. Ok, so this has already been printed out! Strawberries are in season here too and we’ve already been picking them. I adore scones and this looks like the absolute perfect recipe. Your photos of them are gorgeous. Thanks for passing it along!

I would love to go pick strawberries. I am not sure if there is a farm around here for that purpose. I love scones too as they are so yummy and not too sweet. That way I can enjoy it without feeling too guilty.

5. These look delicious! I love your photos too – very cute plates and cups!

6. Julie M. says:

Look at how beautiful these are! Nice work Biren!

7. beautiful scones perfect for the season delicious

8. Jeannie says:

That looks good! I love the beautiful color the strawberries add to the scones:)

9. Reeni says:

Your strawberry scones are lovely Biren! I like the strawberry sour cream combo! I’ll put the kettle on!

10. love2cook says:

Irresistible scones! Drooling over ;)

11. This looks super delicious. I wish I can make…no.. “eat” that… Can I ask you a very basic question? I’ve seen that tool in 1st picture of step-by-step before. What’s that for? Kind of unique shape. Sorry… I should research myself, but since you have a picture I thought this is my opportunity to ask (such a basic) question. =P See, I’m not ready for baking yet! So much to learn!

12. Jill Colonna says:

Biren, what a gorgeous post. Beautiful photos, too. I love that your scones contain strawberries but also that there are no eggs. It’s a great recipe to have up your sleeve when you’ve run out of them and need to make something heavenly and fast!

You are so right Jill about them being so easy to make. If you are not particular about the shape, drop scones will be even faster and easier. There are so many people with all kinds of food sensitivites these days, it is good to have alternative recipes to cater to those needs.

13. Such lovely scones, just perfect with strawberries for spring!

14. They look fantastic! I’m having a tea party this Sunday for Mother’s Day and you can bet that scones are definitely on the menu :)

15. Gorgeous recipe! They look like the perfect thing to serve at a Mothers Day brunch!

16. Lovely strawberry scones, Biren!
    Btw, I have included Roti n Rice on my Fodies I ♥ page. Hope it’s ok with you…

I have not had scones for the longest time. They do look similar to the cheese biscuits but the texture is definitely not the same.

18. sophia says:

I love your Peter Rabbit plate! And of course those lovely scones…sour cream adds such amazing depth and richness to any baked good.

19. anncoo says:

This is lovely scones, Biren. Strawberry from Korea and USA are still available at the local market, will find time to make some :)

20. Your scones looks lovely! Would be nice if I could join you for tea! It has been awhile since I last had a scone!

21. So lovely with the strawberries! Perfect for tea!

22. Faith says:

Your scones are gorgeous, Biren! What a perfect springtime dish. And I love that adorable plate that you served them on!

23. yes these are perfect for tea Biren! I like fresh strawberries you use and I won’t be able to pass the buy one get one free deal either!

24. Pachecopatty says:

I love your bunny plates and the tea cup is gorgeous too!
    Biren, I have to make these scones, they are so lovely and are a perfect use of strawberries;-)
    Have a nice weekend;-)

25. Wonderful for tea…I am not sure if I have tried scones with a cake like texture before, sounds wonderful :)
    Hope you have a great weekend Biren

26. Jay says:

your recipe is too good..will surely try..:)
    Tasty Appetite

27. kristy says:

These are my favourite kind of scones! Have to bookmark this. Thanks again for sharing such lovely recipe.
    Kristy

28. This has may name written ALL over it Biren. Am going to fix these next week for company :))))

Listen – have you checked out my forthcoming Epicurean Voyage to Sicily in Oct yet? Please join and/or please pass along to foodie friends :)

chow! Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

29. Cabi says:

I was wondering… how long would these last?? :S
    Should I refrigerate them? Or keep them at room temperature?
    Would they last a day or two? A week?

–Cabi

They should be fine for a day or two at room temperature. I usually freeze any left over scones. When needed, leave them out on the counter to thaw before warming them up. I much prefer my scones warm.

30. Love love love this! Sounds so delicious.

31. Catalina says:

Today I finally tried this awesome recipe and I loved it. I pretty much ate most of the scones myself I could not myself. Thanks

32. Laura says:

These were GREAT! I had to add more milk and sour cream to get the dough to be sticky all over, but they turned out amazing. I ate four in one day!

• Linda says:

I am glad it all turned out well. Sometimes flour can be drier in different climates and areas. Wow…four scones in one day? Maybe you made them teenie tiny. ;)

1. May 6, 2011

[...] time ideas, from left to right: Strawberry Sour Cream Scones, Lavender Almond Cookies, and Vegetable [...]

2. March 3, 2012

[...] Adapted from Roti n Rice [...]

3. January 21, 2013

[...] my Strawberry Sour Cream Scones as a guide, I substituted the all-purpose flour with cake flour that has no leavening agent (not [...]