Blueberry Ice Cream and Log Splitting

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on YummlyShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

The extended 4th of July weekend was a productive one for the Ro-Ri household. We celebrated our freedom by splitting logs. There was a whole stack of logs at the end of the yard that needed splitting for firewood. Hydraulic wood splitters made the job a little easier. Even then, it took us two days to haul the logs, split and stack the wood, and do the clean up. Thank God for two teenage boys!

Hauling those huge logs from one end of the yard to the log splitter was a major task in itself. There are two layers of logs from two fell trees of previous years and branches trimmed from last year’s autumn tree trimming.

Ro-Taro did most of the hauling.

Ro-Ri San manned the log splitter.

Ro-Jiro helped with the stacking.

Biren stacked wood at the patio close to the fire bowl and took pictures. :)

More stacked wood…

All nicely covered to keep the firewood dry. This should last us four winters. Yes, we do have central heating. This is just for the fireplace.

Of course, Biren made the ice cream! She felt a little like Ma Ingalls of Little House on the Prairie. Thanks to modern amenities, she did not have to milk the cows and hand churn the ice cream but she still lives in the Prairie. ;)

Blueberry Ice Cream and Log Splitting

Yield: 1.5 quarts

Blueberry Ice Cream and Log Splitting

• 2 cups blueberries, picked, rinsed and drained
  • ¾ cups (165g) sugar
  • 1 cup (240ml) half-and-half or whole milk
  • 2 cups (480ml) heavy cream

Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours.

Combine blueberries and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Do not cover but mashed blueberries with spatula and stir until sugar dissolves, about 5 minutes.

Removed from heat and pour into a large bowl. Stir in half-and-half and cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.

Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour chilled mixture into frozen bowl and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.

If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours.

This ice cream is rich and creamy, a perfect antidote to the heat. Adults can have it with a little white chocolate liquer. ;)

Should this be converted into a vegetable plot or a flower bed?

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 8)

1. Girl, that is a LOT of wood. That whole wood chopping thing is a foreign concept to me since I grew up in Hawaii and live in LA now. That ice cream looks like a great reward after all that hard work!

2. Zoe says:

This egg-less ice cream recipe is excellent! Great for the boys to get more energy for their log splitting!

3. That ice cream looks so good – just the right thing for a hot day like today. What an incredible job your boys did with that firewood … I can appreciate what hard work that is :)

4. Lisa H. says:

Wow… that is hardwork, boys. Well done
    And clap clap clap for Ma Biren for the delicious ice-cream :D

5. Gertrude says:

Thanks God our fireplace uses gas. So we escape all the hard work of splitting and stacking the firewoods. After all the hard work it is so nice to have a big bowl of blueberry ice-cream :)

We used to have a gas fireplace in Colorado which we seldom used. They are really convenient though, just a flip of the switch. :)

6. delicious looking ice cream to give those hardworking boys
    the spot looks good for vegetable looking forward to know what you decide

7. Anncoo says:

Biren, what a busy day! Is good to have the blueberry ice cream for some relaxation :) I saw a lot of blueberries in the market, I’m going to make this :)

I hope you do as blueberry ice cream is seldom found in the stores. It is quite elicious and I love the color too!

8. I knew it was serious stuff when you had the wood splitter machine! Wow! I was thinking swinging axes! :o Four winter’s sound about right…or you could be BBQ champs and do a lot of smoked meats! The ice cream looks awesome.

9. rebecca says:

wow thats some impressive manual labor :-) great ice cream you can mix flowers with veggies he he

10. sweetlife says:

veggie plot all the way, lol oh I want a fireplace so badly, but Texas winters are not even really that cold. love the ice cream, perfect summer color!

11. Amelia says:

yummy ice cream & I love blueberries. The ice cream is good for our hot climate here.

12. I loved your writing Biren! It was pretty funny. So why you had that many logs to begin with??? Did you chop down the tree or something? It’s nice that you are ready for the warm winter. LOL! Your ice cream looks so delicious. Blueberry is one of my favorite fruits, but never had it in ice cream. My mom is crazy about blueberries. Maybe we’ll give this a try when she’s here!

Thanks Nami! Yes, we did chop down several trees as there are way too many in the yard. While it is nice and shady, we do need to let some sunshine through. There are still quite a number of trees left standing. We also trim our trees and raise their canopy each year and so the branches are all saved for firewood. The link I provided brings you to a post that shows how the guys climbed and trimmed the trees. It is pretty scary, yet fascinating.

I don’t think I have seen blueberry ice cream in the stores. It is nice to have an ice cream maker as I can experiment with all kinds of delicious flavors. :)

13. Veggie plot! Veggie plot!!! I have never had blueberry ice cream but anything cold and creamy in this awful heat would be divine! Love the gorgeous natural tint of blueberries which looks even more beautiful as ice cream! Looks like you’re already set for winter LOL

I am leaning towards the veggie plot. Have to build a fence as we do have deer and rabbits in the neighborhood. The deer ate my beans and baby lettuce provided the rabbits with a fresh salad bar. They may be cute to look at but when they eat your veggies, they aren’t that cute anymore. ;)

I love the color of the ice cream too. That lavender color is one of my favorites. It is a win-win as the ice cream is delicious and pretty to look at. :)

14. Apron Appeal says:

Wow, does that ever look familiar? My husband spend the weekend helping his dad split wood for his wood pile too. They filled 4 racks like yours and still have over 1/2 the tree to split. It was a huge oak that fell during a storm last all.

It is a lot of work but it is good to have all that wood for the winter. We do enjoy our fireplace as it makes the room so warm and cozy. :)

15. Sarah-Jane says:

Bluebetrry ice cream looks superb ! Buzzed :-)

Definitely a veggie plot. Nothing so nice as home grown veggies.

16. Chris says:

Ooooo I would love to have this blueberry ice cream….

17. Hyosun Ro says:

Looks yummy! I have enough blueberries in my fridge to make this. Can’t wait.

18. DongXing says:

Now, that is what I called a satisfying and lip-smacking reward at the end of a great work-out! Blueberries icecream sounds great, except in our household, the blueberries don’t last very long, my kids eat them up so fast they sometimes don’t even make it to the fridge. Definitely a veggie plot – french beans, tomatoes and salad leaves are my favourite things to plant. I envy you on those logs, nothing beats a nice warm fire in the frigid winter nights.

It sure was a good workout. I think I burned quite a few calories bringing the wood up the hill to the patio and stacking it. Hopefully I did not put all the calories back in with the ice cream. ;) I usually buy 2 packs of blueberries if I intend to cook with them so that we have a pack for snacking.

I am leaning towards a veggie plot but it will have to be next year as the planting season here is very short and summer will be over soon. I am glad we have lots of firewood for the winter and for our outdoor fires but I am not ready for winter yet!

19. Parsley Sage says:

Veggie bed! What a lovely space for a garden :) Great ice cream too. Perfect summer berry treat!

20. Wow, all the hard work definitely deserves some of that delicious looking ice cream!
    That space… veggie bed. You’ll love it!
    Happy gardening!

21. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Wow that is a busy couple of days! I think ending it all with blueberry ice cream is perfect!

22. Julie M. says:

My heavens girl! You have a lot of warm nights ahead of you; that’s a mound of firewood! Your ice cream looks so creamy and perfect as well. A wonderful treat for the heat of summer.

23. Tiffany says:

That ice cream looks MAGICAL! … and oh boy is that a lot of wood!!!

24. Malli says:

The ice cream is incredibly good…. the color is eye-catching and gorgeous too! Love ur recipe

25. LeQuan says:

Holy moly! Look at all those logs! Now THAT’S great teamwork! I’m sure you probably don’t want to see another log for a while. Haha. Kudos to all of you for getting all that done.

Your ice-cream look yummy. You’re making me crave for ice-cream now.

26. Wow that’s a lot of firewood! Great that you’re already set for winter :) And that ice cream must have been perfect after all that hard work! I love blueberry ice cream! Thanks for sharing this recipe! :)

27. alex says:

yum yum ice cream!

28. Lyn says:

Wow! That’s really a lot of logs! Seeing these pics brings me back to those younger days whereby we helped our grandmother to chop & slit the logs with an axe! Those were the fun childhood days for me! We used to lived in the Kampong houses when young and only moved to a flat when I was about 5yrs old. :)
    I love the nice color of your blueberry ice cream! :D
    Btw, what’s half and half? Water and milk if I’m not wrong?

It took us 2 days to split all those logs. Good thing there were 4 of us and both my boys were able to lift those huge logs. I am glad my pictures brought back good childhood memories for you. :)

Half-and half is half cream and half milk and it can be easily found in cartons here in the US. You can use whole (full fat) milk if you can’t find half-and half.

29. That is an amazing amount of work for firewood, but I guess 4 winters is a pretty good deal :)
    I love blueberries but have never had a blueberry ice cream, really looks fantastic :)
    And I would do a veggie and herb plot ;)

30. kristy says:

Gosh, I’m glad you guys clear up the space! sounds perfect for some gardening….herbs & vegetables. So, do you think there’s enough time for the vegetables before the next winter? If so, that will be great. Maybe I can send you some seeds. Can I??? I think they’re not allow seeds through mailing, right?
    Btw, your ice cream sounds great.
    Kristy

31. Ruby says:

I vote vegetable plot – which way did you go? You’re so lucky to have all that wood, and all those strong men to split it! :-)

32. Lisa says:

Vegetable Plot!!! there are so many wonderful things you make and share…think of the things you can come up with if it was vegetables and fruits! Just One gal’s opinion! We have a 300 SqF garden and have been able to go pretty far into the early spring with the things we harvest and put up! both canning and freezing. I am on my 3rd Food Saver!! Good Luck!

33. Wow that is an impressive haul! You guys ROCK! What a beautiful Ice Cream! I love the color.