Hi everyone! After several weeks of vacationing, I am back to immerse myself in the joys and trails of the blogosphere. I have some exciting news to share. Some weeks ago I was approached by the JoyBauer.com team – online home of the “Today Show” nutritionist and “Food Cures” author Joy Bauer on the possibility of partnering with them. Of course I agreed and they sent me two of Joy’s most popular books, Food Cures and Slim & Scrumptious.
Joy Bauer is one of the country’s foremost nutritionists. In her book Food Cures, she uses a 4-step approach for weight loss, improving skin and hair, and treatment of common ailments like heart disease, arthtritis, diabetes, osteoporosis, cataracts and macular degeneration and memory loss. The 4-steps are pretty easy to follow. In Step 1, she starts with the basics which embodies a common sense approach to improving the condition of the said ailment. Step 2 is a grocery list of foods with high levels of nutrients essential for treating that condition. Step 3 is going above and beyond with additional things one might try. Last but not least, Step 4 lists sample meals for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snack options. Some delicious recipes like Butternut Squash Soup and Orange Pepper Beef Stir-fry are also included.
Her Slim & Scrumptious cookbook has more than 75 delicious and healthy meals interspersed with pictures. The recipes are grouped into breakfast and brunch, soups and salads, stews, chilis, and burgers, and entrees sorted by categories, along with veggie sides, and a nice assortment of snacks and sweets. Many of the recipes have a visceral appeal to me and I knew exactly which one I wanted to make first.
The Italian Chicken and Sausage Stew is a delicious and hearty one-pot meal sufficient to feed a crowd. My family enjoyed this dish very much and I will certainly cook this again and again. Though the ingredients list is a little long, the preparation is rather quick and easy. You will not be disappointed.
I cooked this dish some weeks back before my travels and interestingly, I had a similar dish known as Spontaneous Heating in Rapid City, South Dakota in my post Ma Biren Goes West – Part II. Spontaneous Heating was very tasty but as the name suggests, it was also quite spicy.
Joy’s recipe is definitely milder and is a wonderful family dish. I substituted the green beans with egg plants as I did not have any green beans on hand that day.
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- 1 lb (450g) boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite sized pieces
- 3 sweet Italian sausages, fully cooked and sliced into rounds
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ¼ tsp fennel seeds
- 1 can (28 oz) diced tomatoes
- 2 cups (¾ lb/340g) okra, sliced
- 1 small eggplant, cubed
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat a large 4½ qt Dutch oven. Add 1 tablespoon canola oil and chicken. Cook until chicken is lightly browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Repeat with sausages.
- Add another tablespoon of canola oil and sauté onion, garlic, celery, and red bell pepper until tender, about 5 minutes. Stir in basil, oregano, thyme, and fennel seeds. Add tomatoes, okra, eggplants, chicken, and sausages. Bring to a boil and season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and allow stew to simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally to evenly coat everything with the sauce. Add a little water if necessary.
- Serve warm with rice or crusty bread.
And now for the giveaway, two winners will be selected randomly, one for each book. The first winner will receive Food Cures and the second winner will receive Slim & Scrumptious. Please leave a comment on this post to enter. For additional entries, please
1. Join me as follower of this blog via Google Connect and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower.
2. Become a fan on Facebook and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new fan. If you are already a fan, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
3. Become a follower on Twitter and leave me a comment here stating you are now a new follower. If you are already a follower, please leave me a separate comment stating that.
4. Post about this giveaway on Facebook and/or tweet about it and leave me a separate comment here stating you have posted or tweeted about this giveaway.
This giveaway will be opened till 9:00pm Central time Wednesday, August 24th, 2011. I will announce the winners on Thursday, August 25th, 2011. All the best!
Disclaimer: Although the two books were sent to me for free, I did not receive any monetary compensation for this write up. What was written are my personal thoughts and view. For full disclaimer, please click here.
Please stay tuned for recipes and posts on my trip to the United Kingdom coming up next…
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!