Beef and Bean Stew and Awards

This has been a busy week full of appointments and school meetings and I am so glad that Friday is finally here. Kids keep you on your toes, be they little or grown. There is never a dull moment and time just flies by. Thankfully, we have been having great weather – warm and full of sunshine. This made it very pleasant to be out and about. I did share some pictures on Facebook on the fall colors happening here in the prairie. Do check it out.

I have been making a lot of simple one pot meals lately because of the busy schedule. Stewed beef is one of the family’s favorite and this dish can be prepared ahead earlier in the day. I normally add barley to the mix but since I had a can of beans sitting in the pantry, I decided to throw them in. I am glad I did as it made the stew so warm, comforting, and hearty, great for healthy teenage appetites! As the weather cools down (I know it will but I am hoping it will stay warm for as long as possible), this will be a wonderful dish to prepare for those cold evenings.

Beef and Bean Stew

• 1½ cups apple juice
  • 3 tbsp canola oil
  • Salt and pepper
  • Roux
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp rice flour

Heat oil in a large Dutch oven. Brown meat for about 5 minutes. Push meat aside and add onions, garlic, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in dried basil and thyme.

Add stewed tomatoes. Pour in apple juice and beans. When liquid comes back to a boil, season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat to low and simmer for about 1¼ hours.

Prepare the roux while stew is simmering. Melt butter in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir in flour and cook till smooth, about 2 to 3 minutes.

When stew is ready, ladle about a cup of hot liquid into the roux and mix till smooth. Pour the mixture back into Dutch oven, gently stirring until thickened. Turn off heat and serve warm with rice or crusty bread.

After blogging for almost two years now, it is a joy to still be included in blog awards. In the past I have received the Versatile Blogger Award but the Cherry on the Top award is new to me. I want to thank Katherine Martinelli, an accomplished American freelance writer and photographer living in Be’er Sheva, Israel for both these awards. Please do check out her blog for fantastic recipes, photography, and writing. She has also just started a new blog hop and this week it is all about pumpkins. You can link up your pumpkin recipes there.

The rule is to share 7 facts about me and pass it on to 15 other bloggers. Here are my 7 facts…

1. Before I decided to stay home with my boys, I was once a computer analyst, designing and coding programs but that was a long time ago.
2. I am a proud mom of two teenage boys who are now taller than I am.
3. Home is currently in Minnesota and I am still learning to make hot dishes and ice-skate.
4. I used to live in beautiful Colorado and still miss the mountains, sunshine, and great outdoors there.
5. My beverage of choice is tea.
6. I collect tea pots.
7. Besides cooking, I also enjoy making tea cozies. :)

And now to pass on to 15 bloggers. They are…

1. Ann of Anncoo Journal
2. Rebecka of At Home with Rebecka
3. Pola of An Italian Cooking in the Midwest
4. Hyosun Ro of Eating and Living
5. Elin of Elinluv’s Tidbits Corner
6. Elisabeth of Food and Thrift
7. Nami of Just One Cookbook
8. Joyce of Kitchen Flavours
9. Sanjeeta of Lite Bite
10. Lyn of My Little Messy n Cheeky
11. Sonia of Nasi Lemak Lover
12. Christiane of Taking on Magazines One Recipe at a Time
13. Tigerfish of Tezcape – An Escape to Food
14. Lyndsey of The Tiny Skillet
15. Shirley of Welcome to Shirley’s Luxury Haven!

Happy Friday and have a wonderful weekend! 8)

1. I could just smell the beef and bean stew! This looks incredibly delicious and extremely flavorful, wow! I have got to try this recipe some time, beef stew is my favorite, but you definitely kicked this recipe up a few notches. Thanks for sharing, and congratulations to you and all of the award recipients! Off to check some of them out right now =]

2. anncoo says:

Hi Biren, I love one pot dish and your beef stew looks so delicious so suitable for a lazy person like me.
    Thank you very much for passing the awards to me. It is so sweet of you for thinking of me :)
    ((HUGS))

I love one pot meals too. They are a life saver on busy weeknights. I much prefer a homecooked meal than a take-away.

You are most welcomed! You know I love your blog. :)

3. This stew is fantastic. Now that I know you live in Minnesota, I can see why you need this tummy-warming dish. It’s perfect for these cooler days.

Thank you too for the award. I very much appreciate it and being in a group of such fantastic bloggers. Cheers!

4. Blackswan says:

I love Beef Stew & this is the 1st time I’m seeing it with beans. Thks so much for the awards! Now I know we’ve some things in common besides our passion for food.

I used to be a computer programmer, coding COBOL programs. That was ages ago. Lol! I’ve a teenage boy too, who’s also taller than me now :) Lastly, my beverage of choice is tea too!! Gosh, I’m beginning to like u more & more. Hahaha!

We do have some things in common, don’t we? :) I worked with many different softwares on the PC side and a little COBOL. I am not sure if those software languages are still around. Now, I struggle to learn HTML. We have to get together one of these days…

5. Sanjeeta kk says:

Thanks for the award, Biren! Always a pleasure to be here.

6. This looks so yummy, Biren!I love how ‘homey’ this dish looks!

7. Hi Biren! Oh yes, I did enjoy your facebook pictures! So pretty.. I miss Japanese fall so much. California is too warm for a nice foliage. :-( I love one pot dish and this looks delicious. I’ve never used apple juice in stew and that sounds so good! I need to give it a try. Congrats on the awards and thank you for passing it to me. I’m very honored. :-) My beverage choice is tea too! I actually don’t drink water (I know it’s not healthy but water doesn’t taste good) and drink tea all day long including decaf too. Have a great weekend!

Yes, the leaves are very pretty at this time of the year but soon there will be lots and lots of leaves to bag. In fact, it is very windy today and all the leaves are coming down. The trees are half bare now.

I love to cook with apple juice as it makes the dish nice and sweet…just the right amount of sweetness. I do try to limit my tea drinking to the mornings and evenings. In between I try to drink water.

You are most welcomed and have a lovely weekend!

Thanks for the award! I will try my best to pass it on.

One-pot meal has been my go-to since my injury. But it works too, during busy schedules, and in the cold weather. Bring on more one-pot meals :D

9. Lyndsey says:

Biren, I have had such a week to and all I can say is TGIF! I haven’t been on the computer much had issues, husband out of town and taking care of everything on my own is a bit much (and I only have one child) :) Nothing better than one pot meals and this one looks amazing! I have never made beef stew before. Hmmm…I wonder why? :)

Congrats on your awards, you deserve it…and thanks for passing it on to me. So you are learning to ice skate? That’s great! Have fun!

10. rebecca says:

wonderful stew for this time of year and love one pot meals :-)

11. Rebecka says:

Hi Biren, Thank you for passing on these lovely awards to me. I’m so blessed to have a blogging friend like you!! Your support and encouragement are always appreciated!

The Colorado mountains are a little chilly today so I could really use a big bowl of your heart warming beef stew! Snow is on it’s way!

I’ll be making a pumpkin soup recipe this weekend and will link up to Katherine’s blog as soon as I get it posted! xoxo

12. I just love those one pot meals – that deserves a hunk of thick hearty bread.

13. Your bowl of stew looks absolutely delicious! And your are right about children, no matter at what age, they keep you on your toes!
    Congratulations on the awards, you deserved them. Thank you for passing them on to me, I really appreciate it. Have a great weekend!

14. mjskit says:

What a fantastic looking stew! I’m saving this one. Congratulations on your awards! This is definitely a wonderful site!

15. Hi Biren, Thanks of thinking of me and given me this lovely award, much appreciate. I have never made any beef stew before, but now i can try your recipe using the pressure cooker and I believe it will reduce so much of time to prepare this dish..Your stew look absolutely delicious!

16. Lyn says:

YUMS! This is definitely a very comforting bowl of stew and looks great! My kinda stew it is and I’m adding it to my to-cook list! ;)
    Congrats on your awards and thank you very much for including me in your list of bloggers to pass these awards to! I really feel very honored to be in the list and greatly appreciate your sincerity and thoughts to pass me these awesome awards! A very big Thank You to you, Biren! :D
    Have a wonderful weekend!

17. Aww thank you so much for the nice words! You so deserve these awards and I can’t wait to check out the other blogs you have recommended. This stew looks delicious – right up our alley!! My husband is sure to love this as much as your curry. Need to make it soon.

18. Joanne says:

It has gotten QUITE chilly here and I am definitely in the mood for recipes like this! Sounds so good!

19. Congratulations on your awards sweetie…so well deserved! Your stew looks so cozy and comforting…I love one pot meals as well, especially in the fall/winder months :)
    Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

20. delicious looking combination looks wonderful
    congrats on the well deserved awards

21. PolaM says:

Thank you so much Biren! By the way today I went to Marshall farm. It is really nice!

22. Love one pot meals…this looks so delicious!

23. Amelia says:

wow, your beef stew with bean makes me drooling…. looks extremely good. yum yum

24. DongXing says:

Delicous stew for the wintry autumn days – my kind of comfort food too. We will be having chicken casserole with chorizo sausage and cickpeas tonight with plenty of chopped vegetables “hidden” inside. Keep up the good work, Biren, it is always a pleasure to come by your blog to read what’s happening in your corner and to check out those fantastic recipes!

25. kristy says:

Biren, your beef stew sounded really flavourful. Too bad that I don’t take beef but hope it tastes great with mutton. :o) Thanks for sharing.
    Hope you’re haivng a great week ahead.
    Kristy

26. Hyosun Ro says:

Biren – This stew looks incredibly delicious and comforting. It’s beautiful here in Northern Virginia with fall colors. Too bad this will pass soon like everything else. We should just enjoy while we have. Soon there will be beautiful (?) snow! Congrats on your awards! And, thank you so much for passing them on to me. I am very touched! I am sorry I am late to check back on this, but the last 2 – 3 weeks have been crazy for me. Cheers!

1. June 3, 2013

[...] apple juice instead of red wine. Apple juice will give the stew a sweeter flavor. Do check out this Beef and Bean Stew cooked with apple juice. I think you can’t go wrong using either [...]