Cheese and Bacon Biscuits

Time is just flying by and Christmas is less than three weeks away! I have got to start baking as everyone loves treats for the holidays. Each year I make a variety of goodies for the season in addition to our favorite Rich Fruit Cake.

Last year I made these…

Please click on the picture to get to the recipe.

This time round, I am going to start with these savory Cheese and Bacon Biscuits. Ro-Jiro (second son) loves these savory treats but he thinks they should be called a biscuit. I have no problems calling it a cookie…why not? Savory cookies for Christmas breakfast sounds really good to me!

I made two batches using basically the same ingredients but with different flours. The first batch uses all-purpose flour while the second uses a gluten-free flour mix. I added some sorghum flour and garbanzo bean flour to the mix to give the cookies a firmer structure. I must say that I am very happy with the results.

The step-by-step here shows the all-purpose flour version but it is the same using the gluten-free flour mix.

Cheese and Bacon Biscuits

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 28 biscuits
  • 1 cup (150g) all-purpose flour
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 stick (115g) butter, softened
  • 1 cup (4oz/112g) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 strips/rashers of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 tbsp milk
  1. Combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Mix well. Rub in butter, shredded cheese, and bacon. Mix in milk to form a soft dough.
  2. Shape into 2 logs about 1½ inches in diameter. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  3. Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice dough logs into ¼-inch thick slices. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
  4. Cool on wire rack.

These are the gluten-free biscuits. They are slightly flatter but still hold their shape. They also have a nice cookie texture that is not crumbly.

Gluten-Free Cheese and Bacon Biscuits

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 28 biscuits
  • 1 cup (140g) GF flour mix for cookies
  • 1 tsp guar gum
  • ½ tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 stick (115g) butter, softened
  • 1 cup (4oz/112g) shredded cheddar cheese
  • 4 strips/rashers of bacon, cooked and crumbled
  • 2 tbsp milk
  1. Combine GF flour mix, guar gum, baking powder, salt, and cayenne pepper in a large bowl. Mix well. Rub in butter, shredded cheese, and bacon. Mix in milk to form a soft dough. Shape into 2 logs about 1½ inches in diameter. Wrap with plastic and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  2. Pre-heat oven to 375°F (190°C). Slice dough logs into ¼-inch thick slices. Place on lightly greased baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on wire rack.

GF Flour Mix for Cookies

• 1¼ cups (190g) brown rice flour
  • 1¼ cups (175g) sorghum flour
  • ½ cup (65g) garbanzo bean flour
  • ½ cup (60g) tapioca flour
  • ½ cup (65g) corn starch
  • 1 tbsp potato flour
  1. Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well. Store in air tight container.
Notes
1 cup GF flour mix for cookies equals approximately 140g

I am linking this to Rebecka’s Christmas Cookie Exchange-Linky Party. Do hop over to see what everyone else is bringing.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

These are perfect savory biscuits! I love bacon! I know what you mean about Christmas being only a few weeks away… I have so much still to do. You look like you have some wonderful baking already underway. :)

2. says

Biren, I love the way you think outside the box when it comes to cooking! A savory biscuit/cookie is simply a wonderful addition to any holiday table! I’m making a batch tonight because they look so delictable!! Thank you so much for linking up to my Christmas Cookie Exchange-Linky Party. ♥

3. says

Hey Biren – you are getting into the yuletide spirit early! And making me a bit nervous lol I will have barely a week to prepare for Christmas when I return from our holiday. I wanted to drop in and say hi and bye, as we’re leaving later today :)

These biscuits remind me of the bacon biscotti I posted way back when, on Quickies…. and they are making my big boy drool big time, behind me. I think I may make these on Boxing Day, to dunk into curry devil, for brunch. Does that sound too weird? lol We Serani are notorious for our strange eating habits hahahaha

• Biren says

Don’t worry and just enjoy your vacation. Everything will eventually fall into place.

I did not know you have a bacon biscotti on your blog. Will check it out sometime. Dunking them into devil curry sounds good. Hey, it is whatever the family enjoys. BTW, I have not heard of the term Serani for a long, long time. :)

4. says

I love your savory biscuits! Can I eat that for lunch…? =P You make lots of goodies for the holidays. No wonder you are busy. Even I’m not a baker (or I should now say I’m a beginner baker) I’m already so busy, I can’t imagine a lot of baker who actually bake and do all the other stuff for the holidays. Amazing. Your fruit cake looks so good! I LOOOOVE fruit cake….

• Biren says

You can certainly eat these cookies for lunch. I enjoy baking but usually reserve it for the holidays so that the waist line does not grow too much. :)

• Biren says

Thanks Katherine! I did not want to leave my eldest son out. He is a happy camper as I will be making more GF cookies with the 4 cups of GF flour mix that I have concocted. I am very happy with it as they seem to work really well.

5. says

Biren, I made your savory bacon biscuits and they were delicious!! I didn’t have bacon so I used sausage and my family gobbled them right up. YUM! Your recipe reminds me of my mother-in-laws recipe for spicy cheese crackers. Her recipes requires rice cereal for some added crunch and a little more cayenne pepper to create a crisp and spicy treat!! Thanks again for sharing your recipe in my Christmas Cookie Exchange Party♥

• Biren says

So glad to hear you enjoyed the cookies! Yes, definitely spice it up. I kept it relatively mild because my son has a very mild palate. Adding rice cereals is a great idea. I will have to try that the next time.

6. says

These savory biscuits with the lovely bacon and cheddar would surely put a smile on everyone’s face not just for the holidays, but all year round. Thanks for sharing all your other wonderful recipes from last year, as well! Have not made fruit cake for ages, at least 20 years…that is a long time. Beautiful fruit cake, as well!

Trackbacks