Shrimp and Broccoli Slaw Fried Rice

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

And so the fried rice saga continues… As I have mentioned in a recent post, Ro-Taro will be moving out to campus soon. One of his favorite dishes is fried rice and I am trying to provide him with a gamut of recipes to cook at the dorm kitchen. The challenge is to find suitable ingredients in small quantities which require minimum prep work. Fortunately, the chain grocery stores here do carry many pre-cut, pre-washed fresh produce and meats that will work well for this purpose. One is not limited to using canned or preserved fish or meats and frozen vegetables.

In contrast to the previous recipe on Sardines Fried Rice where the taste is stronger and spicier, this version is milder and lighter in color. An egg can easily be added to give it a taste and appearance similar to that of Yang Chow fried rice. Lemon pepper provides a slightly zesty flavor. Other dried herbs may be used in place of lemon pepper.

I chose to use frozen cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimps as they are much easier to handle than fresh shrimps. Since shrimps combine well with broccoli, pre-cut and ready to use broccoli slaw is a really good option. They are nice and firm and will not cause the fried rice to be soggy. They also come conveniently packaged in small 10 ounce bags. Instead of fresh minced garlic, the jarred ones stored in the refrigerator may be used. It may also be omitted altogether with little to no difference in the taste.

We really enjoyed this fried rice and Ro-Taro liked the ease of preparation. It is one that he can cook during the weekends where he has time to go to the grocery store to buy the shrimps and broccoli slaw. The excess shrimp may be kept in the freezer compartment of his mini refrigerator. I hope you will give this recipe a try. It is great for a quick and easy lunch.

Do check out my Dorm Cooking tab, a sub-category of Misc in the drop-down menus above for more quick and easy recipes.

Shrimp and Broccoli Slaw Fried Rice

Serving Size: 2 servings

Shrimp and Broccoli Slaw Fried Rice

• 2 tbsp canola oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 16 medium sized cooked, peeled, and deveined shrimps
  • ½ package (5oz/140g) broccoli slaw
  • 3 cups cooked white rice (preferably kept overnight)
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tsp lemon pepper
  • Salt and pepper

In a large non-stick fry pan, heat canola oil. Fry garlic for about a minute. Add shrimps and broccoli slaw and fry for 2 to 3 minutes.

Then add cooked rice. Give it a stir. Add soy sauce, lemon pepper, salt, and pepper (to taste). Stir to get everything well mixed and cook until rice is dry and fluffy. This will take 4 to 5 minutes.

Remove and serve immediately.

1. kitchenriffs says:

Good dish. Good frozen shrimp is of excellent quality. We usually have a bag in the freezer for those times when we want a quick meal – it’s so great in a stir fry or saute. I’ve not cooked with broccoli slaw, but it sounds quite nice. Good post – thank you.

I am also a fan of any simple home-cooked fried rice. Sardines fried rice or this shrimp and veggie fried rice – all very tasty to me. In addition, fried rice uses frozen veggies and/or canned sardines in the most amazing way.

3. Your such a good mom Biren! How nice to get cooking tips for those quick easy and tasty meals on your own. Is this the first one off to college?

4. love fried rice and the use of the broccoli in this takes it to a whole new level and a healthier one at that! Great creation

5. Ramona says:

Fried rice is such a great dish to use up things in the fridge. I love that you added broccoli slaw into it. This looks great. :)

6. wok with ray says:

I just want to grab that shrimp out of the screen. Very nicely done on the photography, Biren. :)

7. What a clever idea to use packaged slaw – I bet even my 11 year old can manage this brilliantly simple recipe. Your fried rice looks so pretty with the coral coloured prawns amidst the vegetable shreds.

Yes, I think any kid tall enough to stand at the stove and are able to handle cooking utensils can cook this. Under the watchful eyes of mom, of course! No slicing and dicing required. :)

8. Victoria says:

This is a great quick recipe! I love fried rice and the shrimp and broccoli slaw are nice additions :)

9. mjskit says:

What a simple and delicious looking slaw! Perfect for our hot weather! Sounds like this would be just as good cold as it is hot. Gorgeous pics!!!

10. PolaM says:

If your son learns to cook even half of these he’ll have to fight off girlfriends!

11. Raymund says:

Very nice dish and good photographs Biren

12. rebecca says:

looks great and its wonderful that your equiping him for college

13. Muna Kenny says:

Just found your blog, and I’m glad I did. The shrimps look delicious, wish I wasn’t allergic to it. Thanks for sharing the recipe :)

14. Never thought of combining broccoli slaw in fried rice, and combine it with shrimp. Such a simple, and delicious shrimp dish that I will want to make soon!

15. tsiew says:

Hi,
    I do love the easy fried rice – even without garlic its pretty good.
    Would you have a good easy to make recipe for the malaysian hawker style pancakes which has peanuts and sugar sprinkled in the centre and is crispy on the outside?
    Cheers