Meatloaf is considered by many as a comfort food associated with childhood. It is a very homey and easy dish to prepare especially with ground meat from the grocery store. Just mix in breadcrumbs, eggs, and seasonings, pop it into a loaf pan, and bake for an hour. Steam or roast some vegetables for a side and dinner is served.
Growing up in Malaysia, meatloaf was unheard of. We had many minced meat dishes like steamed pork and meatballs but never meatloaf. When I moved here, I was curious and had to check it out. Outside of home, meatloaf can be found at home or cafeteria style restaurants. I tried it and enjoyed it very much. So did my boys. To date, I have tried several versions and even posted an Eggless Meatloaf three years back.
Today, I am excited to share with you this delicious Asian Style Meatloaf, adapted from Allrecipes.com. This version calls for a mix of ground beef and pork. It uses hoisin sauce, soy sauce, minced ginger, and tomato ketchup for the seasoning. I added some garlic and swapped out the celery for green onions.
I really like the hoisin sauce and tomato ketchup seasoning and glaze. I added half of the mixture into the meatloaf to give it a little more flavor. The meatloaf was moist and quite delicious with rice. I will definitely be making this again.
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-inch knob ginger, peeled and minced
- 2 green onions, finely sliced
- ¼ cup (100g) hoisin sauce
- ¼ cup (100g) tomato ketchup
- 1 lb (450g) lean ground beef
- 1 lb (450g) lean ground pork
- 1 cup (60g) soft breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp pepper
- In a medium sized non-stick fry pan heat vegetable oil. Cook onion, garlic, ginger, and green onions over medium heat for 3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Mix hoisin sauce and tomato ketchup in a small bowl. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine ground beef, pork, breadcrumbs, egg, soy sauce, pepper, and half of the hoisin sauce mixture in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Pat mixture into a 9-in x 5-in loaf pan.
- Bake for 45 minutes. Remove from oven. Drain fat from pan.
- Spread remaining hoisin sauce on the top of meatloaf. Return to oven and continue to bake for another 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and allow meatloaf to rest for 10 minutes before serving.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day!