Lasagna Rollups are a fun and tasty way to serve lasagna. These are filled with lean ground beef and low fat ricotta cheese drenched in pasta sauce.
Lasagna Rollups are a fun and tasty way to serve lasagna. Of late they have been popping up on foodie websites and for good reason. They are very pretty to look at and I assure you they are as tasty as they look. Unlike traditional lasagna, these rollups come in a variety of different fillings. Many have been “lighten” up so that they can be easily rolled.
This time, I stayed with the traditional filling of ground beef, ricotta cheese, and tomato basil pasta sauce as these Lasagna Rollups were made for our church potluck. It was really easy to serve as there was no need to cut. Each person just scoop up a roll onto their dish. For a regular meal at home, I would prepare two or three rolls per person depending on the other dishes being served together with it.
For a quick fix, I used store bought tomato and basil pasta sauce. They usually come in a 24 ounces (675g) jar which was barely enough for a tray of these rollups. One more cup (8 ounces) of sauce would have been perfect. Still it was pretty moist. Please use your own favorite pasta sauce if you prefer.
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb (450g) extra lean ground beef
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tsp dried basil
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- 12 uncooked lasagna noodles
- 1 container (15 oz/425g) low fat ricotta cheese
- 24 oz (675g) tomato and basil pasta sauce
- ⅓ cup (20g) Italian parsley, chopped
- In a large pan, heat olive oil. Add beef and onions and cook until brown, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. Continue to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes. Turn off heat and set aside.
- Boil lasagna in lightly salted water for about 12 minutes or per packaging instructions. Remove and drain.
- Spread 1 cup (225g) pasta sauce at the base of a 9-in x 13-in (23cm x 33cm) baking dish.
- Place 4 strips of lasagna on a clean working surface. Spread about 2 tablespoons of ricotta cheese on each strip. Then spread a tablespoon of pasta sauce on the top followed by a sprinkling of chopped Italian parsley and cooked beef.
- Roll up each strip of noodle and place seam side down onto prepared baking dish. Repeat with remaining noodles and filling.
- Pour remaining pasta sauce over noodles. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Remove and serve immediately with extra chopped parsley if desired.
I like it topped with extra chopped Italian parsley and a sprinkling of chili flakes. Some freshly grated parmesan would be nice too. Do give it a try.
This recipe was shared with Weekend Potluck #92.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎