Nowadays, cookie stamps are relative rare items. They are not to be found in most kitchen stores except during the Christmas and holiday season. Whenever I see them, I tend to snap them up because of their beauty and the collector’s bug in me. 🙂
Two weeks ago I came across these adorable wood and silicone stamps at Homegoods. They come in four different designs but the store I was at only carried two of them. Not to be deterred, I called the other stores in the Metro area to check for availability. It paid off as I was able to get all three holiday designs and one with the words “Home Made” on it.
These beautifulful cookie stamps are from Birkmann, a German producer of bake ware. The colorful silicone portion of the stamp is about 3 inches in diameter and it can be removed from the wooden handle for soaping and washing. The great thing about these stamps are that they do stamp and release the cookie dough very easily.
There is a recipe that came with each stamp but I decided to use a simple egg-less 4 ingredients shortbread recipe instead. I am glad I did as these delightful Shortbread Stamped Cookies are so buttery with an almost melt-in-the-mouth texture. I am really happy with the way they turned out. If you do not have cookie stamps, simply use your favorite cookie cutter.
On a different note, Roti n Rice will be 4 years old on December 31st, 2013. I am giving away this special cookie stamp made by Birkmann with the words Home Made to one lucky reader. The winner will be selected from those leaving a comment on my 4th Blogiversary post to be published on December 31st, 2013.
- 1¾ cups (260 gm) all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup (35g) rice flour
- 2 sticks (8oz/226g) salted butter, softened
- ½ cup (65g) powdered sugar (icing sugar)
- Prepare one 3-inch round cookie stamp and one 3-inch round cookie cutter. Line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Combine all-purpose flour and rice flour in a medium sized bowl.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until light and fluffy.
- Sift in flour mixture. Blend with pastry blender until dough comes together. Wrap in plastic and chill for 15 minutes.
- Place dough on a large piece of parchment paper. Roll out dough to about ¼ inch thick.
- Dust cookie stamp with flour and press onto dough. Remove cookie stamp. Place cookie cutter over stamped dough and cut out stamped cookie.
- With a flat edge spatula, lift cookie onto prepared baking tray. Repeat until all dough is used up. You may need to roll out remaining dough 2 or 3 times.
- Bake in a 350°F (180°C) oven for 20 minutes or until edges are lightly brown. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Please do check out the other wonderful stamped cookies on this blog. Simply click on the link or image to view recipe.
And remember the reason for the season which is to commemorate the birth of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Merry Christmas!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎