This easy to cook one-skillet, lightly spiced, zesty Cilantro Lime Chicken Rice is sure to please. It will quickly become a family favorite.
Apart from a few classic chicken rice recipes where the ingredients are pretty much “fixed”, there are countless other variations when it comes to this popular one-pot meal. While preparing this Cilantro Lime Chicken Rice for the family recently, I knew it was going to be well received. In fact, the guys liked it so much I cooked a second time, refining the taste and process to make it just right.
The inspiration for this dish came from Pinterest where I have been seeing so many cilantro lime rice recipes. Not wanting to make another “copy-cat” version, I decided to jazz and spice up my own rendition of the dish. I am glad I did because now I will have this one-skillet Cilantro Lime Chicken Rice as part of our dinner rotation for the next few months.
I used long grain basmati rice to give the dish a fluffy texture and a slightly nutty flavor. The addition of onions, garlic, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds give it a better and more complex flavor.
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs, trimmed
- 1½ tsp salt (or to taste)
- ½ tsp ground pepper
- 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1½ cups (285g) basmati rice, rinsed and drained
- 1¾ cups (420ml) water
- 2 limes (cut one into half and the other into wedges)
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- Sprinkle 1 teaspoon salt and ground pepper on both sides of chicken thighs.
- Heat vegetable oil in a heavy bottom or cast iron skillet. Add chicken thighs and let it brown for 5 minutes. Flip chicken thighs and brown the other side for another 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Add chopped onion, mustard seeds, and cumin seeds to the skillet. Stir fry for 2 minutes. Add mince garlic and continue to stir fry for 30 seconds. Then add rice and stir to get rice well coated with spices.
- Pour in water. Give it a quick stir. Cover and bring to a boil.
- Remove lid and add remaining ½ teaspoon salt (or to taste). Place browned chicken thighs on top of the rice. Cover, reduce heat to medium low, and allow rice to cook for 12 minutes or until all water is absorbed. Reduce heat to the lowest possible setting and allow it to cook for another 5 minutes. Turn off stove.
- Squeeze halved lime (about 2 tablespoon lime juice) and chopped cilantro over the rice and chicken.
- Serve with lime wedges.
Be generous with the chopped cilantro and lime. The duo make the dish very fresh tasting and appetizing. Do give it a try.
Here are the different versions of chicken rice found on this blog. Simply click on the image to get to the recipe.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎