This layered Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake makes a hearty and delicious breakfast for a crowd. Great for the weekend or when you have company.
Earlier this week Ro-Ri San’s childhood friend and family came to stay with us. It was a very short visit en route to the East Coast. It was very nice of them to make the 5 hour journey by bus up from Iowa where their son recently graduated from college. Thankfully the weather cooperated and we made the most of it with a barbecue for dinner, followed by tea and desserts on the patio beside the fire bowl. It was a relaxing and good place to sit and chat.
Good Ol’ Home Cooked American Food
For dinner, I decided to serve up some good ol’ home cooked American food which consisted of salad, grilled sweet corn, Seared Tuna with Wasabi Mayo, beer bratwursts, and grilled ribeye steaks similar to this Grilled New York Strip Steaks. Being a firm believer in cooking seasonal, I also made a Mango Peach Salsa as mango and peaches are just beginning to appear at the grocery stores. Serve with corn chips, it gave us something to munch on while we pottered around preparing dinner. Be sure to check back next week for my Mango Peach Salsa recipe.
Hearty Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake
The next morning, I wanted to prepare a hearty American breakfast for our guests. What better than to make this classic Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake. After all, Minnesota is “Hot Dish Heaven” and chilly mornings call for a nice, big casserole fresh out of the oven.
I added one onion, one green pepper, and one punnet of mushrooms to give it extra flavor and color. I used 8 large eggs but it can easily accomodate 10 to 12 eggs to feed more people.
Tools Used in Making This Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
T-fal Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Anti-Warp Base Glass Lid Cookware, 12-Inch, Gray
Le Creuset of America Craft Series Medium Spatula – Marseille
Set of 5 Stainless Steel Bowls with Lids and Non-Slip Bottoms, 3 Grater Attachments
French Whip 8-inch
PYREX 3QT Glass Baking Dish with Blue Cover 9″ x 13″
Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake
- 1 lb frozen hash brown (450g)
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp ground pepper
- 8 oz mushrooms (sliced) (225g)
- 1 lb Italian sausage (450g)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 green pepper (diced)
- 8 large eggs
- 1¼ cups milk (300ml)
- 8 oz shredded cheese (225g)
- Grease a 9 x 13 inch casserole or baking tray.
- Cook hash brown according to packaging instructions, about 7 minutes. Remove and transfer half of it to the casserole. Also layer half the sliced mushrooms in the casserole. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper.
- Brown sausage in a medium sized fry pan. No oil is necessary. This should take about 5 to 6 minutes. Add onion and green pepper. Continue to cook for another 3 minutes. Transfer to the casserole. Spread it evenly over the hash brown and mushrooms.
- Add the remaining mushrooms followed by the hash brown. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper.
- Crack the eggs into a medium sized bowl. Add remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper. Pour in milk. Whisk lightly to combine.
- Pour egg mixture into the casserole. Spread shredded cheese evenly over the top. Bake in a preheated 350˚F (180˚C) oven for 40 minutes.
- Remove and serve warm.
This Sausage Hash Brown Egg Bake was hearty, creamy, and quite delicious. There was more than enough for all of us. I hope you will give it a try.
After breakfast we were all ready to explore some of Minnesota’s attractions and a few of her 10,000 lakes. 🙂
Leave a Reply