Easy to make Apple Crisp with Crystallized Ginger, cinnamon bread, and walnuts. Deliciously crisp and warmly spiced. Best ever dessert for this time of the year!
This deliciously crisp and warmly spiced Apple Crisp with Crystallized Ginger is one of the easiest desserts to prepare whenever you have company or need something warm and sweet. It really is a no-brainer. Except for the apples and crystallized ginger, you probably have most of the other ingredients in your pantry and refrigerator. I do highly recommend the addition of crystallized ginger. A friend who came over for dinner some weeks back noticed and liked the flavor. She asked if that was my secret ingredient. 😉
Any Kind of Apples
You can use any kind of apples or even a variety of apples to give it extra texture. This time I used Honeycrisp apples, considered by many as one of Minnesota’s best apples. It has a well-balanced sweet-tart taste, and explosively crisp, juicy texture. They are sold at a premium but it is worth it because they are great tasting apples.
I actually made this Apple Crisp with Crystallized Ginger as a dessert for our Thanksgiving dinner but it never made it to dinner time. After the photo shoot, we had it for tea time served with freshly whipped cream and it was all gone in that single session between the four of us. Oh yeah! 😉 It was our kind of dessert. Not too sweet and filled with lots of fruits.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Apple Crisp
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Apple Crisp with Crystallized Ginger
- 4 apples (peeled, cored, and sliced about ¼ inch thick)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp all purpose flour
- 4 slices cinnamon raisin bread (finely cubed)
- ¼ tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 tbsp crystallized ginger (chopped)
- ½ cup walnuts (chopped) (50g)
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (45g)
- ¼ cup apple juice (60ml)
- 2 tbsp butter (cubed for topping)
- Grease a 9-inch casserole or pie dish. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice and all-purpose flour.
- In another bowl, combine cubed bread, nutmeg, crystallized ginger, chopped walnuts, and melted butter.
- Transfer about a third of the bread and nut mixture to the prepare dish. Add half of the apples and sprinkle half of the brown sugar over the apples.
- Create another layer by adding another third of the bread and nut mixture, remaining apples, and brown sugar.
- Top with remaining bread and nut mixture. Sprinkle apple juice over the bread and apples. Place cubed butter all over the top.
- Cover with foil and bake in a 375˚F (190˚C) oven for about 40 to 45 minutes until apples are tender. Remove foil and continue to bake for another 10 to 15 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden.
- Serve warm with whipped cream or ice cream.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎