Pasta is one of those things you can easily whip up when you are running…
Deliciously spiced apple filling in a fragrant gluten free almond crust make this Apple Pie with Crumb Topping a winner. Recipe also with traditional crust.
I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving. We planned for a quiet weekend at our house with just the two boys. It was snowing quite a bit the day both Ro-Taro and Ro-Jiro were travelling home from college. Thank God they arrived safely. Ro-Ri San also got in safely that evening. It was wonderful to have the family together again for a few days.
When your students come home for the holidays, laundering is a major task. I went straight to work and had 3 loads that first evening they were home. I was only done after 6 to 7 loads throughout the weekend! I was happy to do it and would gladly do it again.
While the washing machine was going at full speed downstairs, I was also busy in the kitchen. I had bought several pounds of apples to make a pie and went about putting this gluten free Apple Pie with Crumb Topping together. I figured it would be a good one for dessert on Thanksgiving as well as tea time the next day.
It being the holidays, I used the trimmings for little cut-outs to decorate the pie. It was a little more work but I am glad it did not go unnoticed. 😉 It was also a good way to use up all that lovely and tasty almond crust.
If you prefer a traditional crust, the brown rice flour, tapioca flour, sorghum flour, and almond meal can certainly be replaced with 2 cups (300g) all-purpose flour or you can use 1½ cups (225g) all-purpose flour and ½ cup (50g) almond meal. There is no need for the guar gum or xanthum gum.
Apple Pie with Crumb Topping
- 1 cup organic maple buckwheat flakes (crushed or choice of granola mix) (40g)
- ¼ cup brown rice flour (37g)
- ¼ cup brown sugar (45g)
- 2 tbsp butter
- Egg wash (optional)
Gluten-Free Almond Crust
- 6 large apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1 tsp apple pie spice
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp tapioca starch
- ½ cup brown sugar
For the Crumb Topping
- Combine flax crunch and brown rice flour in a medium sized bowl. Cut in butter. Stir to get ingredients well mixed.
For the Gluten-Free Almond Crust
- Combine potato starch, tapioca flour, brown rice, hazelnut meal, powdered sugar in food processor. Pulse a few times to combine. Add butter and sugar. Pulse again until mixture resembles coarse bread crumbs.
- Add cold water and pulse again until a sticky dough forms.
- Turn dough onto a large sheet of plastic. Pat to form a disk. Wrap and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Lightly flour work surface. Remove dough from refrigerator. Unwrap on place on work surface. Sprinkle a little flour on the top and roll out dough into a 12-inch circle.
- Wrap dough around rolling pin and slowly unravel dough onto a 9 inch pie dish. Gently press into the form of the dish. Trim off excess dough around the edge of the dish. Crimp as desired.
Putting it together
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Combine all filling ingredients in a large bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon into pie crust. Sprinkle crumb topping on top of filling.
- Form trimmed edges into a ball. Roll it out and cut into desired shapes with a small cookie cutter. Brush egg wash around the edge of the pie. Place cut-out decoratively around the edge. Brush cut-outs with egg wash.
- Bake in 350°F (180°C) oven for 50 to 55 minutes. Remove and allow pie to cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
We enjoyed this Apple Pie with Crumb Topping warm with a dollop of whipped cream accompanied by a cup of tea. It was a wonderful way to end the Thanksgiving dinner.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎