If you have never tasted madeleines, you have to give it a try. These dainty mini cakes are a delight and perfect for a tea party or any special occasions. We really enjoy them because they are just the right size to hold in your hand and two madeleines are all that is needed to satisfy that sweet craving.
There are two other versions of madeleines on this blog. The first one are these Gluten-Free Orange Blossom Madeleines which were very light and airy. The second are these Lavender Madeleines which were equally tasty. They were gone just as quickly.
For the upcoming Valentine’s Day, I decided to make these Chocolate Dipped Madeleines. Like they say, “All you need is love, but a little chocolate now and then won’t hurt”! 😉 I flavored them with orange oil this time and they were just wonderful. Combined with the chocolate, they are decadent. Do give it a try.
- ¾ cup (115g) all-purpose flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 large eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup (75g) sugar
- ½ tsp orange oil
- 1 stick (4 oz/113g) butter, melted
- 3 to 4 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- Grease a standard size Madeleine pan well. Dust with flour. Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Sift together all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt. Set aside.
- Beat sugar, eggs, and orange oil together until light and fluffy, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Gently fold in flour and butter until well incorporated.
- Fill each mold indentation until about ¾ full.
- Bake for 12 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the centers spring back when lightly touched. Do not over bake.
- Remove from oven and cool for 5 minutes in pan. Turn the pan over and give it a light tap to unmold.
- Cool on rack, shell side up.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler. Dip the top of each madeleine in the melted chocolate. Place on a parchment line plate to set.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎