Treat family and friends to some delicious homemade Matcha Ice Cream. This simple eggless recipe…
Rich creamy Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream with bold coffee flavor. No eggs, just whole milk, cream, ground coffee, and vanilla extract.
I finally made it! Ever since coffee ice cream became one of my favorite ice creams I have been wanting to make my own but never got round to it until this week. I added some vanilla extract into this Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream and I am delighted that it turned out really well. It was rich and creamy with just the right amount of coffee flavor in it.
Bold Coffee Flavor
Coffee ice cream would not be coffee ice cream if the coffee flavor is mild or weak. Some use instant coffee granules while others use strong brewed coffee. Yet others use coffee beans so that it can be easily removed from the milk mixture. The problem with brewed coffee is the addition of water and this is not ideal. Using coffee beans on the other hand means that the full flavor of the coffee may not be extracted. Also, a lot more coffee beans are needed to get the same result as ground coffee.
Brewing Ground Coffee in Milk
So, ground coffee is the way to go but how do you brew ground coffee with milk instead of water? I was not about to pour milk into my coffee maker. That is where these large food grade filter bags come in. They are approximately 5 inches by 6 inches in size and can easily hold a half cup of ground coffee. I bought these filters bags at my local Asian market and use them mainly for my herbal soups. Cotton muslin bags will also work.
Like flavored coffee, flavorings like vanilla, almond, or hazelnut extract may be added. It is totally up to you. I chose vanilla because that is what I have in my pantry. Depending on how strong your coffee is, the additional flavoring should be adjusted accordingly. I put in 2 teaspoons but I think a tablespoon would be better. The recipe below has been adjusted accordingly.
The type of coffee used is again totally up to you. I used a decaffeinated bold flavor ground coffee so that we can enjoy the ice cream even in the evenings and not stay awake the entire night. 😉
Similar Tools Used in Making This Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream
- 2½ cups whole milk (600ml)
- ¾ cup sugar (165g)
- ½ cup ground coffee (40g)
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (240ml)
- Freeze ice cream bowl for 24 hours. Place ground coffee in a filter bag.
- Combine in a medium sized sauce pan together with milk and sugar. Place on the stove and bring it to a bare simmer. Stir to dissolve sugar. Turn off heat.
- Drop filter bag with ground coffee into the hot milk and allow it to steep for 30 minutes. Press filter bag occasionally with a spatula to release brewed coffee.
- Add vanilla extract to the mixture.
- After 30 minutes, remove filter bag. Discard.
- Pour in heavy whipping cream. Stir to mix. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
- Place frozen bowl on base of ice cream maker and turn it on. Pour chilled mixture into frozen bowl. Churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours before serving.
Egg Free Coffee Ice Cream
For some reason, coffee ice cream (especially egg free coffee ice cream) is not as easily available. I am so glad I can now make it at home. Ro-Ri San and I really enjoyed this bold flavored Coffee Vanilla Ice Cream. I think you will too.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎