Simple, easy, gluten-free, and summery pan fried Green Bean Corn Cakes. Delicious as a side dish or snack dipped in sweet chili sauce.
This year the shortage of corn due to drought conditions across the country have driven prices more than double the price of previous years. Normally twenty cents would buy you an ear of corn but the current price is hovering around fifty cents each. Though we do get a decent supply at the grocery store, it is not as abundant as we have come to expect for this time of the year. So whenever they are available, I can’t help bringing a few home with me.
We really enjoy corn-on-the-cob as a side dish. Naturally sweet and delicious, they make a great accompaniment to grilled meats. They need little to no additonal ingredients to enhance their flavor. I like to cook my sweet corn in lightly salted water for about 8 minutes. The kernels remain plump, juicy, and crunchy when bitten into. These kernels are also wonderful to cook with. In the summer time, I much prefer them to canned ones. It takes a little extra work to prepare them but it is definitely worth the effort.
The other summer produce that I cannot resist is green beans. I always keep a bag of green beans in the refrigerator and use them in all kinds of dishes. They provide a much needed pop of color to fried rice and curries. They are also delicious on their own or mix with other vegetables in stir fries.
Summer is going by quickly and the days are a little shorter and cooler now. I am definitely not ready for fall yet. Thankfully, there is still some summer left. The farm stands continue to sell corn and green beans. Get some today and give this Green Bean Corn Cakes recipe a try. It is simple, easy, gluten-free, and summery!
Similar Tools Used in Making This Green Bean Corn Cakes
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
• T-fal Professional Total Nonstick Thermo-Spot Heat Indicator Fry Pan, 12.5 Inch, Black
• Le Creuset of America Craft Series Medium Spatula – Marseille
• Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Spoon Set
- Combine flour, salt, ground pepper, egg, and water in a large bowl. Stir to get a smooth batter. Mix in corn kernels, green beans, and chili.
- Heat a large non-stick fry pan with 2 to 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Ladle a ¼ cup batter for each pancake into the pan.
- Pan fry for 4 to 5 minutes on each side, pressing down with ladle. Cook in 2 batches. Do not overcrowd pan.
- Remove and serve immediately with sweet chili sauce.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎