Quick and easy Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese Dip with a sweet salty combination perfect…
These delicious Shanghai Style Pancakes and Peanut Cream are a treat you can easily prepare in your kitchen using convenient prepackaged ingredients.
Dessert is a must when there is company. It rounds off the meal nicely and conversations tend to flow more easily during dessert time. Therefore, it is always good to have some semi-homemade recipes on hand so that a dessert can be whipped up on short notice. The two desserts featured here today are very easy to put together using ready made store bought ingredients. It is pretty fuss free and takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Shanghai Pancakes are thin, crisp pancakes filled with red bean paste. They are delicious served with a small bowl of peanut cream. I always remember the ones I had with our dear friends in Singapore who took us for lunch at a Shanghainese restaurant. The food was really good but the Shanghai pancakes and peanut cream stuck in my mind. The pancakes were nice and crisp and the peanut cream was smooth and delicious. Peanut Cream also known as Fa Sang Wu is a sweet soup taken in small quantities.
As it is not always easy to make a nice, thin pancake, I have decided to use fillo pastry instead. I filled it with canned red bean paste and rolled it up like a strudel. The preparation was a breeze. The peanut cream was also very easy to prepare using all natural peanut butter with just salt, purchased at the health food store. It is best to use the creamy variety of peanut butter.
Shanghai Style Pancakes and Peanut Cream
Shanghai Style Pancakes
- 8 sheets fillo pastry (thawed)
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 cup red bean paste (240g)
Shanghai Style Pancakes
- Lay 4 sheets of fillo pastry on a work surface. Brusheach sheet with melted butter.
- Spread ½ cup red bean paste into a thin layer on the top most sheet of fillo pastry.
- Roll up filled pastry at 3½ to 4 inch width.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350˚F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow pastry to cool before slicing.
- Place peanut butter and 1½ cups (360ml) water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until peanut butter is well incorporated.
- Mix corn starch with remaining ½ cup (120ml) water. Pour corn starch mixture into peanut butter mixture. Stir to get a nice, smooth consistency. Turn off heat.
- Serve immediately with Shanghai Style Pancakes.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎