Quick and easy Peanut Butter and Cream Cheese Dip with a sweet salty combination perfect…
These Shanghai Style Pancakes and Peanut Cream are a treat you can easily prepare in your kitchen using convenient prepackaged ingredients.
Dessert is a must when there is company. It rounds off the meal nicely and conversations tend to flow more easily during dessert time. Therefore, it is always good to have some semi-homemade recipes on hand so that a dessert can be whipped up on short notice. The two desserts featured here today are very easy to put together using ready-made store-bought ingredients. It is pretty fuss free and takes only a few minutes to prepare.
Shanghai Pancakes are thin, crisp pancakes filled with red bean paste. They are delicious served with a small bowl of peanut cream. I always remember the ones I had with our dear friends in Singapore who took us out for lunch at a Shanghainese restaurant. The food was really good but the Shanghai pancakes and peanut cream were memorable. The pancakes were nice and crisp and the peanut cream was smooth and delicious. Peanut Cream, a.k.a. Fa Sang Wu is a sweet soup savored in small quantities.
As it is not always easy to make a thin pancake, I used fillo dough instead. I filled it with canned red bean paste and rolled it up like a strudel. The preparation was a breeze.
The peanut cream was also very easy to prepare using all natural peanut butter with just salt, purchased at the health food store. It is best to use the creamy variety of peanut butter.
Similar Products Used in Making These Shanghai Style Pancakes
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Sweetened Red Bean Paste – No Preservative, No MSG, Non GMO, 14.11oz (Fine)
Athens Foods Pastry Fillo Dough Sheet, 16 Ounce — 12 per case.
Cuisipro Stainless Steel Measuring Cup and Spoon Set
AirBake Nonstick 2 Pack Cookie Sheet Set, 14in x 12in and 16in x 14in
Shanghai Style Pancakes and Peanut Cream
Shanghai Style Pancakes
- 8 sheets fillo pastry (thawed)
- 3 tbsp butter (melted)
- 1 cup red bean paste (240g)
Shanghai Style Pancakes
- Lay 4 sheets of fillo pastry on a work surface. Brusheach sheet with melted butter.
- Spread ½ cup red bean paste into a thin layer on the top most sheet of fillo pastry.
- Roll up filled pastry at 3½ to 4 inch width.
- Place on a cookie sheet and bake in a 350˚F oven for 40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove and allow pastry to cool before slicing.
- Place peanut butter and 1½ cups (360ml) water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring until peanut butter is well incorporated.
- Mix corn starch with remaining ½ cup (120ml) water. Pour corn starch mixture into peanut butter mixture. Stir to get a nice, smooth consistency. Turn off heat.
- Serve immediately with Shanghai Style Pancakes.
NOTE: The original publication of this post was on April 6th, 2011. This republication comes with changes to the writeup but the recipe remains the same.