Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Couscous – a light and tasty one-skillet meal of warmly spiced shrimp, sweet peppers, and couscous. Only 20 minutes to prepare.
When it comes to busy weeknights, quick one-skillet meals like this Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Couscous is a life saver. Thankfully, there are ingredients like couscous and shrimp that cook in a jiffy. This meal takes only 20 minutes to prepare.
Couscous is semolina granules made from crushed durum wheat. It does not have a lot of flavor on its own but it works well as a base for meat or vegetable dishes. It comes in instant and non-instant varieties. The instant variety cooks in 5 minutes.
If you are on a gluten free diet, do not fret. Brown rice couscous is available. It is just as easy to cook although it does take 13 minutes which is still pretty quick. For recipes, please check out my Kabocha Cranberry Brown Rice Couscous or Shrimp and Chickpeas Brown Rice Couscous.
Tools Used in Making This Shrimp and Sweet Pepper Couscous
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- 12 oz shrimp (peeled and deveined leaving tails on) (340g)
- ¼ tsp ground pepper
- 1¼ tsp salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 8 oz mini sweet peppers (cut into rings) (225g)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups chicken broth (480ml)
- 10 oz couscous (284g)
- ¼ cup parsley for garnishing, chopped
- Combine shrimp with ground pepper and ¼ teaspoon salt.
- Heat a large cast iron skillet on the stove. Add extra virgin olive oil. Then add shrimp and cook for 2 minutes.
- Remove shrimp with tongs, leaving the oil in the skillet. Set aside.
- Add diced onion to the skillet. Saute for 1 minute or until soften. Stir in garam masala and cumin. Add minced garlic and sweet peppers. Continue to cook for another minute.
- Pour in chicken broth. When broth comes to a boil, add remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Then pour couscous into the skillet. Stir to get all ingredients mixed. Turn off the stove.
- Place cooked shrimp on the top of couscous. Cover with a lid and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous lightly with a fork. Garnish with chopped parsley and serve immediately.
Since oranges are still in season, you may want to serve this colorful and tasty dish with this equally colorful Cara Cara Orange and Blackberry Salad. The duo will make a stunning and tasty meal!
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎