Weather wise it is going to be BRUTAL this weekend. There is a winter storm warning with effect from 9:00pm today to 6:00am Sunday. A foot of snow is expected and the temperature will drop to -10°F (-23°C) with windchills plummeting to around -30°F (-34°C)!!! I’ll have to run to the grocery store and bring in more firewood after I am done with this post. Time to cook a huge pot of soup and make a nice loaf of crusty bread to sit out the storm. We will have to hunker down for the weekend. No Christmas shopping to look forward to but a lot of snow shovelling is in the works….arghhh!
Speaking of soup, this Split Pea and Sausage Soup is one I made a few days ago. Spicy, thick, and satisfying, this soup is a meal in itself. I used up the remaining turkey stock I had made after the Thanksgiving dinner but chicken stock will definitely work. For making thick, creamy soups an immersion blender is a very helpful tool. It beats having to tranfer that hot liquid in batches to a blender. If you do not have an immersion blender, now is the time to drop hints for Christmas. 🙂
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 12 oz (340g) spicy sausage (hot links), sliced into coins
- 1 medium sized onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium sized carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 stick celery, chopped
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 lb (450g) green split peas, picked, rinsed, and drained
- 1 can (14.5oz/411g) diced tomatoes
- 5 cups (1.2 liters) chicken stock
- Salt to taste
- ¼ tsp pepper
- In a large pot, add canola oil. Brown sausages, about 5 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- In the same pot, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in cumin and coriander.
- Add split peas, tomatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil.
- Season with salt and pepper. Reduce heat and let it simmer for 45 minutes until lentils are tender. Turn off heat.
- Puree with immersion blender to desired consistency.
- Return browned sausages to the pot.
- Serve warm.
This goes to Deb of Kahakai Kitchen for her weekly Souper Sundays event.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎