Okra and Chickpea Stew

Okra and Chickpea Stew

Okra is commonly associated in Southern, Creole, and Cajun cooking since it was initially introduced into the United States in the southern region. Outside of the US, it is often known as lady’s finger. For those who are not familiar with okra, it can be gooey when cooked. To minimize the sliminess, keeping the pods whole and cooking it quickly helps.

With some leftover roasted lamb meat from my post Sumac and Rosemary Crusted Lamb, I search the web for another Middle Eastern recipe that uses lamb and okra and came across this dish called Bamia or Okra Stew which originated from Egypt. This stew is usually cooked with lamb or beef in a tomato based sauce flavored with cumin and coriander. I added chickpeas (garbanzo beans) and a little turmeric, not only for the flavor but also to give it a nice, rich color. This Okra and Chickpea Stew has a slightly tangy taste from the tomatoes and a smoky flavor from the roasted meat.

Okra and Chickpea Stew

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

• 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
  • 4 oz (115g) roasted lamb, cubed
  • ¼ tsp ground cumin
  • ¼ tsp ground coriander
  • ¼ tsp ground turmeric
  • Salt and pepper to taste
  • 2 tbsp tomato paste
  • 1½ cups(360ml) water
  • 1 can (15 oz/425g) chickpeas or garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
  • 12 oz (340g) okra, trimmed
  • 2 tomatoes, cubed
  1. In a heated pan, add olive oil. Sauté onion and garlic until soft, about 1 to 2 minutes.
  2. Add roasted lamb, ground cumin, coriander, and turmeric. Cook for another 2 minutes.
  3. Stir in tomato paste, water, chickpeas, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add okra and tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium low and let it simmer for 10 minutes.
  4. Remove and serve immediately with basmati rice or couscous.
Nutrition Information
Serving size: 4 servings

Okra and Chickpea Stew

This Okra and Chickpea Stew is wonderful served with basmati rice, hummus, pickled olives and peppers.

Okra and Chickpea Stew

Comments

1. lequan@luvtoeat says

What a great idea to put chickpea in the stew. My husband doesn't like okra, but loves lamb. Maybe this is the perfect recipe to get him to give okra another shot. Thank you for sharing Biren.

2. MaryMoh says

That's a very lovely stew…..would be so good with rice. I love okra very much. I've just had it yesterday for dinner. I added it to laksa fish.

3. Biren says

lequan@luvtoeat – Yes, do give it a shot. It is always nice to try new things :)

@Yummy Team – Thanks!

@tigerfish – First time I'm putting it together too and we love it. I hope you will give it a try.

@MaryMoh – Thanks Mary. We love okra too and eat it quite often. I have another post coming up :)

@Dimah – Thanks for visiting and for the nice comments.

@Tina – Thanks Tina!

4. motherrimmy says

This looks healthy and delicious. I have a bag of okra in the freezer that I didn't know what to do with. I don't have lamb, but I wonder if pork or chicken would work equally as well?

5. denise @ quickies on the dinner table says

I have had bamia before – cooked for me by an Arab mother and it was really good! I've never thought of chickepeas as an addition but it makes perfect sense if you think about it! Great tip about cooking okra whole – it really does help.

Your version look so yummy…I'd love a bowl with some flat bread!

6. Mary says

Healthy has just met delicious! I love the way this recipe sounds. I'm shy okra at the moment but that is easily remedied and we'll try this really soon. I hope you are having a wonderful day…Mary

7. Biren says

@motherrimmy – I think chicken will work. It can also be vegetarian :)

denise@quickies on the dinner table – This dish is new to me but the family really liked it and so I will cook it again. The okra and chickpeas combined very well.

@penny aka jeroxie – I like okra too and I cook it often.

@Mary – I like the way you put it, "Healthy just met delicious" :) The family really enjoyed the dish.

@Cherine – I am only now discovering a little of the Middle Eastern food and I really enjoy it :)

@Kamalika – Thanks!

@Juliana – Thanks for visiting and for your nice comment :)

8. Biren says

@Veronica Lee – Thanks for visiting and for your kind comments :)

@5 Star Foodie – Thanks!

@Liv Wan – Thanks for visiting!

@bunkycooks – I hope you'll give it a try. Once you get pass the texture, it is actually quite delicious.

@Scott K – I've always enjoyed chickpeas. They are good in spicy dishes. Also great as a snack :)

Trackbacks