Spicy Okra Salad with a garlic chili sauce and dried shrimps dressing. Very appetizing and best served with a bowl of steamed rice.
Okra has a mild flavor but somewhat unusual texture. When cut, it releases a sticky substance that is often used to thicken soups and stews. To minimize sliminess, keeping the pods whole helps. Perhaps one of the best way to eat this vegetable is to steam it. This mild vegetable is delicious dressed with a tangy and spicy sauce enhanced with the intense flavor of dried shrimps.
Dried shrimps are shrimps that have been sun dried. They have a rather unique taste that is different from fresh shrimps. Some may even say they have the so-called umami flavor. A little of this ingredient goes a long way as it is salty and pretty intense. It is often used in East Asian and Southeast Asian cooking.
Okra a.k.a. Ladies’ Fingers
Back where I grew up, okra was known as “ladies’ fingers”. They were relatively inexpensive and easily available. They continue to be popular to this day and are frequently used in curries and spicy stir fries.This Spicy Okra Salad recipe is a slight adaption of my Mom’s recipe. Mom makes her own chili mixture but I am taking the easy way out by using ready made chili sauce.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Spicy Okra Salad
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
- Drain dried shrimp and chop coarsely.
- In a small saucepan, heat vegetable oil over low heat. Add dried shrimp and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Transfer together with the oil into a small bowl. Add lime juice, garlic chili sauce, soy sauce, and sugar. Stir to combine.
- Place okra in a steamer and steam 7 to 8 minutes. When pierced with a fork, okra should be tender.
- Remove and place on a plate. Spoon shrimp mixture over okra. Serve immediately.
NOTE: This post was updated on September 19th, 2013 with new pictures.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎