Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie

Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie

Fruit smoothies are delicious and fun to make. I especially love the colors the fruits lend to the smoothie. Berry and pink colors are lovely and always a favorite. I associate yellow and orange with tropical flavors. White and creamy colors are a mystery waiting to be discovered. Green is cool and refreshing. Makes me think of honey dew and mint.

I am in the mood for a green smoothie with a touch of Asian flavors. The color is achieved using matcha and the base is soy. This Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie is lower in calories and has a rather unique flavor. I can’t say that the taste of the matcha is significant but I can definitely taste the ginger.

Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie

We love unsweetened soy milk and always have some in the fridge. My boys take a glass of this thick, creamy goodness most mornings. I sometimes use it in my cooking in place of milk. Agave nectar on the other hand, is a new discovery for me. It is a natural sweetener extracted from the heart of the agave plant. It is 25% sweeter than sugar and so less is needed. It can be used in beverages, baking, or just a multi purpose sweetener.

Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 2 servings
  • 1 Bartlett pear, chilled, cored and peeled
  • Β½ tsp matcha
  • 4 small pieces crystallized ginger, chopped
  • 1 cup (225g) soy yogurt
  • Β½ cup (120ml) unsweetened soy milk
  • 1 tsp agave nectar, optional
  1. Combine pear, matcha, crystallized ginger, soy yogurt, soy milk, and agave nectar (if using) in a blender. Blend until smooth. Remove and serve immediately.

Crystallized Ginger Soy Smoothie
NOTE: This post was updated on January 13th, 2012 with new pictures. No changes were made to the recipe.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. 5starfoodie says

Fantastic smoothie! I love the pear and crystallized ginger combo here and such a nice color with the addition of matcha! Thanks so much!

2. A SPICY PERSPECTIVE says

I love crystallized ginger ,and sometimes just eat it like candy! this sounds cool and refreshing1

3. Cristina TeenieCakes says

This is good stuff and what smoothies are all about. I bet the ginger just gives it that special zing!

4. lequan@luvtoeat says

What a great idea to use crystalized ginger in a smoothie. I never would have thought to combine ginger and soy milk. What a refreshing drink this must be. Love the combo of ingredients. Best of luck with the challenge Biren.

5. Julie M. says

That looks really good! I just discovered agave as well and am loving it. I think I'll be trying this one.

6. denise fletcher says

I love anything green and the flavor combination here is divine! I imagine this would be so refreshing and revitalising. I'm staring at my monster blender on the counter and feel like whizzing one up now – I actually have most of the ingredients, except agave nectar …

7. rotinrice says

I am loving the agave nectar too! This smoothie is quite different and the crystallized ginger gives it zing!

8. CaseyAngelova says

This looks great. Did you crystalize your own ginger? I have been looking for a good recipe. The last time I tried it I wasn't 100% happy with the results.

9. sweetlife says

i'm so glad you found agave, it's simple wonderful, I love the color of the smoothie and the ginger I bet it added such great flavor

sweetlife

10. Joanne says

Crystallized ginger is one of my favorite things to snack on! I've never thought to put it in a smoothie…you've got me entranced.

11. rotinrice says

Unfortunately not. I would be interested if you find a recipe. It will be so cool to crystallize your own ginger. It would also make a great post.

12. rotinrice says

Perhaps you can try it with honey instead. Agave is a little sweeter and less viscous…more the consistency of maple syrup. It is fun to discover new ingredients :)

13. Stella says

Ooh Biren, this sounds so healthful and delicious too with the soy and matcha. Hey, I never see organic silk around here anymore! Where did you get that?

14. Stella says

Oh, and how did you like the agave? It tastes like cotton candy, no? By the way, it also registers in the body about 25% less in terms of blood glucose, which is good I guess…

15. rotinrice says

Hi Stella! I buy my organic silk at Super Target. My local health food store also carries it. It is so nice and creamy and I have been buying it since my CO days.

I am loving the agave. I am surprised to find that it is so nice and light :)

16. Cookin' Canuck says

I love the flavors in this healthy smoothie. Crystallized ginger has such a great bite to it.

17. Monet says

After another warm day….this sounds perfect. I love the flavors and I'm sure this is super refreshing. Thank you for sharing, Biren!

18. rotinrice says

Hi Monet! Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment. Smoothies are really perfect for this time of the year.