Kiwi Banana Smoothie

Kiwi Banana Smoothie

Though summer only officially begins on June 21st this year, the warmer weather calls for cooler and lighter foods. Just as I changed out our wardrobes with lighter clothes, I also cleared out the freezer of chunks of meat to make room for ice cream, fruit popsicles, fish, shrimp, wings, and meat patties destined for the grill. With the abundance of fresh produce in the stores and farmers markets, the fridge is usually well stocked with a variety of fruits and vegetables. Sometimes I leave baskets of these out on the counter as they make such a colorful and lovely display.

With all those fruits lying around, it makes me think of smoothies, sorbets, and fruit pies. While the latter two take a longer time to prepare, smoothies are quick and easy and are a real treat on warm days. This thick rich Kiwi Banana Smoothie is cool and refreshing and can be taken as a light meal. I chilled the banana and kiwi in the fridge before blending it.

Kiwi Banana Smoothie

Kiwi fruit when mixed with milk is said to turn bitter because the enzyme in kiwi fruit breaks down milk proteins. Strangely, I did notice or experience this taste despite having left it sitting there while I took pictures. I am not sure if the banana helped. Swap out the Greek yogurt for almond milk if you find it bitter.

Kiwi Banana Smoothie

Prep time
Total time

Serves: 2 servings
  • 2 kiwi fruit, chilled
  • 1 banana, chilled
  • 1 cup (8oz/225g) Greek yogurt
  1. Cut kiwi fruit into halves. Scoop out flesh and discard peel.
  2. Peel banana and break flesh into smaller pieces.
  3. Combine kiwi fruit, banana, and yogurt in a blender. Blend until smooth. Remove and serve immediately.

Kiwi Banana Smoothie
NOTE: This post was updated on January 12th, 2012 with new pictures. No changes were made to the recipe.

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. lequan@luvtoeat says

My kiddies love smoothies. I've never tried this combo before though, sounds yummy. This is the perfect way to get rid of over ripened fruits. You definitely know how to make something as simple as a smoothie look like eye candy :-P. Thanks for sharing Biren.

2. Stella says

Hi Biren! Yum…
    I love smoothies lately. They really help with the heat. If I see some nice looking kiwis at the store, I'll try this…

3. Patty Price says

I like to start my day with a smoothie, especially in the summer, thanks for sharing a delicious recipe!

4. The Mom Chef says

I do love smoothies, but haven't thought about using kiwi. Wonderful idea. Thanks much for the post.

5. denise fletcher says

Nice combo of fruit and I do love yoghurt. Sounds so refreshing and even the colour looks great!

6. Jeannie says

Great for our very hot and wet weather at the moment! I'll probably have to triple up the quantity. Any yoghurt should be fine huh.

7. Leanne says

this sounds great! Reminds me of this smoothie I drink which called spirulina. Have you ever tasted golden kiwifruits (mix between kiwifruit and mango from what I remember)? I prefer them to the normal kiwifruits. There's even talks of red kiwifruits being released here soon in New Zealand.

• Biren says

So glad to hear you enjoyed the smoothie, Lyn. :) Almond milk is one of the best milk to use for smoothies. I do like the addition of kale. Here is the one I made with kale – Kiwi Kale Smoothie. Have a lovely week! :)

Trackbacks