Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

Today’s Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic recipe is a simple one. It is almost vegan except for the egg in the pasta. With the abundance of squashes right now, it is an easy excuse to add in the squash. Besides, the pasta was also made with butternut squash, giving it a rich yellow color. The texture is soft and a little chewy with an almost homemade quality to it. The simple balsamic vinaigrette dressing allows its taste to come through.

While some of us like the taste of garlic and use it regularly in our cooking. Many prefer to omit it altogether as they find the smell offensive. Raw garlic is pungent and has a bite but mellows out the longer it is cooked. In fact, roasting garlic makes it sweet and quite delicious. Roasted garlic can be mashed and mixed in a spread for breads, potatoes, and even pasta. I threw in an entire bulb of roasted garlic into this pasta to give it added flavor.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

There are very few ingredients needed in this recipe – mainly garlic, butternut squash, dried thyme, pasta, parsley, and balsamic vinegar.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

• 1 cup chopped curly parsley
Dressing
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt
  1. Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).
  2. Peel away outer layers of garlic bulb, leaving skins of individual cloves intact. Slice about ½ inch off the top of garlic bulb exposing individual cloves. Place garlic bulb together with cubed butternut squash in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle dried thyme, salt, and pepper over garlic and squash. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes until squash and garlic are tender.
  3. In the meantime, mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.
  4. Boil pasta as per packaging instructions. Remove and drain.
  5. When roasted vegetables are ready, remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, squeeze roasted garlic out of their skins. Using kitchen shears, snip garlic into smaller pieces. Mix well with roasted squash.
  6. Combine pasta and roasted vegetables in a large bowl. Add dressing and chopped parsley. Mix well. Serve with shaved parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper if desired.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

Gluten intolerance and allergy previously thought of as rare are not so these days. Fortunately, there are many more gluten-free products in the stores today. I am pleasantly surprised at the various types of gluten-free noodles I have found and will share more about them in a future posts. This gluten-free spaghetti made with rice, potato, and soy will work well with the above recipe. It has a taste and texture that is close to that of the regular wheat spaghetti.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

I am sending this to Presto Pasta Night #190 hosted by Debbi of Debbi Does Dinner and Ruth of Once Upon a Feast.

Comments

1. says

Wow, this dish looks so good, and very satisfying! That is so cool to use butternut squash fetticcini, I’ve never seen it before. I like how you roasted the garlic and squash (I have a stoneware dish just like that) Wohoo!, I’m excited to try it! Although my daughter and I love garlic and can eat it anyway even raw, my husband likes it more subtle!

2. says

yum, garlic and butternut squash, two ingredients I truly love! Especially ROASTED garlic. I can slather that super thick on a piece of bread and I’ll be in heaven.
    PS I think with the egg in the pasta it is still vegetarian… just not vegan :) have a great weekend Biren!

• Biren says

Thanks for pointing that out Roxan. There are different types of vegetarians and some take dairy and eggs while others don’t. I wasn’t sure but thanks for clarifying :)

3. says

Biren, this is probably the most delicious looking savory dish I’ve seen all week. I mean it too-it looks so good. You know, I think I have trouble with the idea of going vegan mostly b/c of eggs. I love them, and that egg pasta looks really delicious. Yum!

• Biren says

Awww….thanks Stella! It was really tasty and satisfying. I love eggs too but don’t use it as much as I would like to. It gets a little complicated over here as I have to cater to the different food intolerances.

4. says

Biren, this dish looks delicious with the chopped up butternut squash mixed in with the fettuccini. I love that picture of the squash with the garlic bulb. I’ve never tried roasting dishes with the whole garlic bulb like that before. Perfect for presentation for picture taking too, what a great idea. I’m a big fan of vegetarian dishes and yours sounds wonderful.

5. says

What a gorgeous looking pasta. The photo has made me hungry. You can bet I’ll be making this on very soon. Have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

6. says

This is a beautiful dish Biren! I love simple and healthy it is. Thanks so much for linking up to family friendly Fridays and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

7. says

What a lovely dish Biren! Hubby would LOVE this (me too of course). His favourite dinner is roast chicken on a bed of squash chunks and unpeeled shallots seasoned with balsamic vinegar, garlic (lots – we love it) rosemary and salt. He actually scrapes the plate clean whenever I cook this LOL I have never thought of doing it with pasta, but now I will! The colours are just beautiful!! And there’s that gorgeous green dish I love so much :) I wish we had more coloured pasta varieties here apart from the usual tomato, spinach, beetroot or squid ink….

8. says

That’s cool, Biren! You even have the readymade buttersquash pasta. I love this kind of simple recipe alot. You know, busy mom! haha…. I wonder why we always busy with something! You have a great day.
    Blessings, Kristy

9. says

Sorry Biren, I’m late for this post! It has been a busy week for me, unwrapping presents. Hahaha! Just kidding :)

I’ve not tasted pasta with Squash & this is interesting. Oh, u’re making me so hungry…….

10. says

This is excellent! I’ve paired butternut squash with pasta before, and I know how delicious it is, and as a butternut squash addict, I am very intrigued by the butternut squash fettuccini, I will have to look for it!

11. says

Hi! I am visiting from Presto Pasta Nights! This looks delicious. I have a butternut squash I need to use! I will be making this next week. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

Trackbacks