Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

Please sharePin on PinterestShare on FacebookShare on Google+Tweet about this on TwitterShare on StumbleUponShare on TumblrEmail this to someone

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

Today’s recipe is a simple one, almost vegan except for the egg in the pasta. With the abundance of squashes right now, it is an easy excuse to add in the squash. Besides, the pasta was also made with butternut squash, giving it a rich yellow color. The texture is soft and a little chewy with an almost homemade quality to it. The simple balsamic vinaigrette dressing allows its taste to come through.

While some of us like the taste of garlic and use it regularly in our cooking, many prefer to omit it altogether as they find it offensive. Raw garlic is pungent and has a bite but mellows the longer it is cooked. In fact, roasting garlic makes it sweet and quite delicious. Roasted garlic can be mashed and mixed in a spread for breads, patotoes, and even pasta. I’ve added one whole bulb of roasted garlic to this pasta to give it added flavor.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

There are very few ingredients needed in this recipe, mainly garlic, butternut squash, dried thyme, pasta, parsley, and balsamic vinegar.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

• 1 cup chopped curly parsley
  • Dressing
  • 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 tbsp balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp sugar
  • ¼ tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400°F (200°C).

Peel away outer layers of garlic bulb, leaving skins of individual cloves intact. Slice about ½ inch off the top of garlic bulb exposing individual cloves. Place garlic bulb together with cubed butternut squash in an oven proof dish. Sprinkle dried thyme, salt, and pepper over garlic and squash. Drizzle with olive oil. Roast in oven for about 30 minutes until squash and garlic are tender.

In the meantime, mix all dressing ingredients in a small bowl.

Boil pasta as per packaging instructions. Remove and drain.

When roasted vegetables are ready, remove from oven. When cool enough to handle, squeeze roasted garlic out of their skins. Using kitchen shears, snip garlic into smaller pieces. Mix well with roasted squash.

Combine pasta and roasted vegetables in a large bowl. Add dressing and chopped parsley. Mix well. Serve with shaved parmesan cheese and freshly ground pepper if desired.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

There are many more gluten-free products in the stores today as gluten intolerance and allergy are not as rare as previously thought. I am pleasantly surprised at the various types of gluten-free noodles I have found and will share more about them in a future posts. This gluten-free spaghetti made with rice, potato, and soy will work well with the above recipe. It has a taste and texture that is close to that of the regular wheat spaghetti.

Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic

I am sending this to Presto Pasta Night #190 hosted by Debbi of Debbi Does Dinner and Ruth of Once Upon a Feast.

1. sangeeta says:

Lovely colors and all my fave flavors…

2. Lyndsey says:

Wow, this dish looks so good, and very satisfying! That is so cool to use butternut squash fetticcini, I’ve never seen it before. I like how you roasted the garlic and squash (I have a stoneware dish just like that) Wohoo!, I’m excited to try it! Although my daughter and I love garlic and can eat it anyway even raw, my husband likes it more subtle!

3. Cherine says:

A fabulous dish full of tasty flavors!

4. Roxan says:

yum, garlic and butternut squash, two ingredients I truly love! Especially ROASTED garlic. I can slather that super thick on a piece of bread and I’ll be in heaven.
    PS I think with the egg in the pasta it is still vegetarian… just not vegan :) have a great weekend Biren!

Thanks for pointing that out Roxan. There are different types of vegetarians and some take dairy and eggs while others don’t. I wasn’t sure but thanks for clarifying :)

5. Victoria says:

I love the use of roasted garlic in here! What a great simple fall pasta dish. Those noodles are fun too, I’ve never seen butternut squash fettuccine!

6. Love, love, love butternut squash! I could eat it daily! Pair it with pasta and garlic and it totally sounds like a winner! I have to look for that pasta, sounds delicious! Thanks for sending this to Presto Pasta Nights!

I like the colors of your pasta – look so different from the typical pasta and fresh colors too!

8. Stella says:

Biren, this is probably the most delicious looking savory dish I’ve seen all week. I mean it too-it looks so good. You know, I think I have trouble with the idea of going vegan mostly b/c of eggs. I love them, and that egg pasta looks really delicious. Yum!

Awww….thanks Stella! It was really tasty and satisfying. I love eggs too but don’t use it as much as I would like to. It gets a little complicated over here as I have to cater to the different food intolerances.

9. Stella says:

p.s. I’m making a pear pie right now. I did your filling with typical crust. I know I’m bad:( I didn’t have all of the stuff though…

10. What a flavor rich way to make fettucine, Biren. I LOVE how you’ve left your ingredients, simply unfooled with :)

Ciao, Devaki @ weavethousandflavors

11. Anncoo says:

This looks so healthy and flavorful and I love the color. Must give it a try using butternut squash. Thanks for sharing :)

12. bergamot says:

Looks beautiful, especially the color of the pasta

13. rebecca says:

wow this looks fab love how you baked the squash and garlic together

14. lequan says:

Biren, this dish looks delicious with the chopped up butternut squash mixed in with the fettuccini. I love that picture of the squash with the garlic bulb. I’ve never tried roasting dishes with the whole garlic bulb like that before. Perfect for presentation for picture taking too, what a great idea. I’m a big fan of vegetarian dishes and yours sounds wonderful.

15. Pachecopatty says:

Beautiful pasta Biren, I love butternut squash so I think I’m going to try this. I need to eat more pasta, sometimes I forget how much I enjoy it:)

16. Jeannie says:

That looks good! I love the look of butternut squash and they are not easy to get here.

17. Mary says:

What a gorgeous looking pasta. The photo has made me hungry. You can bet I’ll be making this on very soon. Have a wonderful day. Blessings…Mary

18. sayantani says:

thats an incredible recipe. love the way you grilled the veggies…awesome.

19. Joanne says:

Oh how lovely! I wish I could find that butternut squash pasta near me. Sounds delicious.

20. love2cook says:

What a lovely dish! I’m ready to grab that now! :D

21. Julie M. says:

This is a beautiful dish Biren! I love simple and healthy it is. Thanks so much for linking up to family friendly Fridays and enjoy the rest of your weekend!

22. What a lovely dish Biren! Hubby would LOVE this (me too of course). His favourite dinner is roast chicken on a bed of squash chunks and unpeeled shallots seasoned with balsamic vinegar, garlic (lots – we love it) rosemary and salt. He actually scrapes the plate clean whenever I cook this LOL I have never thought of doing it with pasta, but now I will! The colours are just beautiful!! And there’s that gorgeous green dish I love so much :) I wish we had more coloured pasta varieties here apart from the usual tomato, spinach, beetroot or squid ink….

23. The fettuccini looks really good. I can imagine the aroma of the roasted garlic! Yum!

24. Ruth says:

Great post… gorgeous photos and perfect recipe. Thanks for sharing with Presto Pasta Nights.

25. Oh heavens, that looks fantastic. At first I thought you had mashed up the cloves into some kind of paste for a sauce, but those beautifully roasted cloves are just sitting, waiting to be bitten into. That looks so fantastic.

26. kristy says:

That’s cool, Biren! You even have the readymade buttersquash pasta. I love this kind of simple recipe alot. You know, busy mom! haha…. I wonder why we always busy with something! You have a great day.
    Blessings, Kristy

27. Blackswan says:

Sorry Biren, I’m late for this post! It has been a busy week for me, unwrapping presents. Hahaha! Just kidding :)

I’ve not tasted pasta with Squash & this is interesting. Oh, u’re making me so hungry…….

28. A flavorufl and delicious pasta dish! I definitely need to get some butternut squashes.

29. It’s gorgeous! And I bet it’s super tasty too!

Lots of yummy love,
    Alex aka Ma What’s for Dinner

30. Biren~ it sounds so wonderful! I really would like to have a big bowl of it right now…for breakfast!

31. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Wow this looks so healthy and filling! I love butternut squash…yum!

32. I adore roasted garlic and all types of squash, so this would definitely arouse my palette. Plus it looks beautiful :)

33. This is excellent! I’ve paired butternut squash with pasta before, and I know how delicious it is, and as a butternut squash addict, I am very intrigued by the butternut squash fettuccini, I will have to look for it!

34. I am one that loves garlic, especially roasted garlic. This dish looks fantastic.

35. Julie says:

Hi! I am visiting from Presto Pasta Nights! This looks delicious. I have a butternut squash I need to use! I will be making this next week. Thanks for sharing a great recipe.

36. This sounds like a perfect meal.

37. krishna says:

nice n easy recipe… n very good for lunch…

1. November 12, 2010

[...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by billy tooberish, Roti n Rice. Roti n Rice said: Butternut Squash Fettuccini with Roasted Garlic http://www.rotinrice.com/2010/11/butternut-squash-fettuccini-with-roasted-garlic/ [...]

2. November 15, 2010

[...] recipe is a family favorite which I made to go with the Butternut Squash Fettuccini of my previous post. I combined it with a fall favorite, the sweet dumpling [...]

3. October 24, 2011