This Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash is a complete one-pan meal. The sweet and mellow roasted fennel is delicious savored with the chicken and squash.
Old Man Winter showed up for the year with a huge storm on Saturday. The fresh snow blanketed everything and transformed the landscape into a winter wonderful. The first snowfall is always fun and everyone gets a little excited just watching the snow come down. It came down fast and furious and we had 8 inches of wet, heavy snow in a matter of hours.
Throwing and Shoveling Snow
By mid morning lots of activities can be heard outside. Though the snow was still coming down people were up and about. There were the happy laughter of children as they roll and sled in the snow and the sounds of shoveling and snow throwers as the adults fought to clear their driveways. Ro-Ri San and the boys were out doing the same. Good thing he had prepared the snow thrower in anticipation of the storm. The boys helped with shoveling of the porch and places the snow thrower could not get to.
One-Pan Chicken Meal with Fennel and Squash
Today’s recipe is a family favorite which I made to go with the Butternut Squash Fettuccini of my previous post. Roast chicken combines really well with fennel. Fennel tastes a little like licorice and has a texture like celery when raw. It mellows and sweetens when roasted. I added a fall favorite, the sweet dumpling squash to the dish…oops…err…it was still fall when I made this! Sweet dumpling squashes are smaller in size and quite sweet as the name suggests. The texture is fine and smooth. Do give them a try as they are delicious.
Final Harvest From Herb Garden
The fresh thyme is the final harvest from my herb garden. I used lime as that was what I had in the fridge. You can use lemon if preferred.
Similar Tools Used in Making This Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash
This post contains affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Chasseur Oval Cast Iron Indoor Grill Pan
Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Oven with Reversible Grill Pan Lid, 4 3/4 quart, Oyster
Le Creuset Cast Iron Oval Oven with Reversible Grill Pan Lid, 4 3/4 quart, Caribbean
Roast Chicken with Fennel and Squash
- 1 roasting chicken (3 to 4 lbs/ 1.4 to 1.8 kg)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 large bunch fresh thyme (20 to 30 sprigs)
- 1 lemon or lime (halved)
- 1 bulb fennel (top removed and sliced into ¼ inch thick slices)
- 2 sweet dumpling squash (seeds removed and cut into 8 wedges)
- 1 bulb garlic (peeled)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Remove giblets and excessive fat from chicken. Then rinse the chicken and pat dry with paper towels. Let it sit for 20 to 30 minutes so that the skin is dry.
- Place prepared chicken in a roasting pan.
- Liberally sprinkle salt and pepper on the inside and outside of the chicken.
- Stuff thyme (saving a few sprigs for the vegetables) and lemon or lime in the cavity of the chicken.
- Tie the legs together with kitchen string. Place chicken on a pan and tug wings under the body.
- Place sliced fennel bulb, squash wedges, garlic, and remaining sprigs of thyme around chicken.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper and drizzle olive oil over vegetables.
- Place roasting pan in the oven and roast for approximately 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the thigh without touching the bone registers 180°F (82°C).
- Remove from oven and allow the roasted chicken to rest for 15 minutes before carving.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎
Leave a Reply