White Christmas Cups

White Christmas Cups

This is truly a recipe come home to roost as it is the perfect expression of the winter we are experiencing here in Minnesota. With two huge snowstorms and a third on its way, this is the snowiest winter in the past 20 years. The snow pile is already two to three feet high and it is not going anywhere with the freezing temperatures. No doubts about it, we will be having a white Christmas.

These pretty White Christmas Cups with flecks of red and green are not only light and tasty but also gluten-free. I made these as a holiday treat for the boys to share at school. They are easy to prepare and the only cooking involved is the melting of butter and white chocolate. Even kids can prepare this with a little bit of supervision. I will be making a smaller version for our Christmas gathering next week. The ones shown here are regular sized ones for teenage girls and boys. :)

White Christmas Cups

This recipe was adapted from the Australian Women’s Weekly’s Big Book of Beautiful Biscuits and I am sending it right back to Australia to Penny of Jeroxie for her International Incident Colour Party. My color/colour for the party is white. :)

The original recipe called for red and green glazed cherries but I wanted something minty in the mix. Nestlē’s limited edition dark chocolate and mint morsels provided the perfect substitute for a minty flavor. I separated the mint chips from the chocolate chips and was able to get at least half a cup of the minty morsels. Crushed red and green candy canes would also work.

White Christmas Cups

• ⅓ cup (45g) powdered sugar
  • ½ cup (90g) glazed red cherries, chopped
  • ½ cup (80g) mint chips
  • 2 sticks (1 cup/225g) butter, melted
  • 1 cup (160g) white chocolate chips
  • ¼ cup (60ml) milk
  1. Prepare 16 regular sized foil baking cups.
  2. Combine rice krispies, coconut flakes, milk powder, powdered sugar, cherries, and mint chips in a large bowl.
  3. Pour in melted butter and stir to get everything thoroughly mixed. Divide mixture evenly into baking cups. Compact mixture using a spoon. Refrigerate for about 20 to 30 minutes to allow mixture to set.
  4. Melt white chocolate chips with milk in a double boiler.
  5. Drizzle melted chocolate over the top of each cup.

White Christmas Cups
White Christmas Cups

Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎

Comments

1. says

Sounds extremely cold over the other side of the globe! Guess you guys have to stuck in the house for quite a while. And those white goodies look perfect for the coming festive season. Oh, love the mint flavour chocolate chips. I found some butterscotch chips (same brand) on my last trip but don’t see any mint flavour ones. Hope you’re all well and enjoy your day.
    Blessings, Kristy

2. says

This looks so Christmasey! I’m having trouble this year, getting into the Christmas mood :( Everything is a mess, and there’s still half unpacked luggage around the apartment. I need to get a new tree and decorations and haven’t even figured out my Christmas menu *sigh*

I actually like looking at all your snowy pictures and these treats even remind me of snow :)

• Biren says

That’s ok Denise, you still have time. You are probably still jet lagged and that’s hard. Give yourself a few more days and you should be up and about. :)

Yes, there is much snow outside and so I’ve decided to bring some indoors. 😉 Glad to hear you enjoyed the snow pictures.

3. DongXing says

Hi Biren. These look fabulous, something my two young kids can make. We shall definitely attempt to make these at the weekend, I have a strange feeling that they would not make it to the fridge for the setting part, as my kids are brilliant at “tasting-them-first-to-make-sure-they-are-okay”. Happy Christmas to you and the family, Biren.

• Biren says

These would be perfect to make with your kids. You don’t really have to put them in the fridge in this cold weather. They really taste good and I wcan’t blame your kids if they want to go right at it. :)

You have a Blessed Christmas and a Happy New Year.

4. says

Oh Biren, they looks so festive and yummy! I’ve been seen the Nestle choc. and mint chips, but guarantee you I’ll be looking for them now! We’ve got a big baking weekend ahead–these might make it into the mix if I have find the chips!

5. says

We are supposed to have a pretty rough winter here in Seattle, but it hasn’t shown up yet. These are absolutely pretty and festive. Simple too. Can’t beat that! Happy Holidays!

6. says

Mmm, Biren these look so good! I love mint flavored baked goods – I even made some peppermint brownies last night and included a whole tablespoon of peppermint extract! That’s so weird that rice krispies are in these christmas cups because I can’t see them at all. Are they crunchy?

Please post more pictures of the snow!

• Biren says

Yes, there are rice krispies in there and they are still just a little crunchy. I love the minty and coconuty flavor in these treats!

I probably will be posting more snow pictures. :)

7. says

these treats look perfect for this time of year, Biren. they remind me of snowballs, only with colourful surprises inside. my kiddies would love these! sorry about the big dumps of snow :( if it makes you feel any better, our piles are 3 feet, going on four and we’re expecting more snow in the forecast….sigh.

8. says

Wow…It really feels I’m in another country when I see the cold east coast is facing. Here at (La, la, la land) the winter didn’t even started. We are having an eternal autumn. I’m not complaining…but I miss a bit the snow. Your treats looks delicious.

9. says

I love that you added mint to this!! I haven’t seen those chocolate chips yet, but I will definitely be on the lookout :) This is a fun treat, and I love how they encompass all the Christmas colors.

• Biren says

Hi Belinda! Thanks for visiting. :)

That is Jeroxie’s monthly challenge. I have not been able to join until the last one for the year. Finally made it…phew!

10. aletta says

Looks great – my husband needs to eat wheat/gluten free. Please note that kellogg’s rice krispies are NOT gluten free, but most healthfood stores in the US sell g/f crisped rice cereal.

BTW, Chex cereals (with the exception of Wheat) are now gluten free!

• Biren says

Hi Aletta! Thanks for visiting and commenting :) Thanks also for pointing out that Kellogg’s Rice Krispies are not gluten free. I know it contains barley malt and so technically they are not gluten free. I normally use rice krispies or should I say rice cereals from the health food store but I do not store them in the pantry now as my boys are older and do not care too much for them. I only buy them for making treats.

11. says

I, for one, am so glad someone has posted a no-bake holiday cookie. These look festive and they sound delicious. I hope you have a wonderful weekend. Blessings…Mary

12. says

Great Christmassy recipe! I love little things in little cases, and the gluten-free nature of these makes for a great gift for those with coeliacs in our lives. Looks like a good recipe to get kids helping with too :)

13. says

This looks like a fun thing to make when you’re snowed in! I’m glad someone else brought a more neutral color to the party (I brought beige).

14. Sandra says

This recipe sounds good, but I am not much of a fan of mint in my desserts. I plan to try it, using brown rice cereal and green colored candied pineapple in place of the green chips for a fruity flavor. I will let you know how it turns out when I make it in a few weeks. You could also use chopped dates to replace the mint chips, when it’s not the holidays. I plan to make them for Christmas, but always do a test run on new recipes one week before the holiday, and share a plate of my testers with several of my friends along with the recipes. I’m glad I found your blog. I look forward to trying some of your other recipes. Thanks…and have a Happy Holiday!

• Biren says

Welcome and thank you for the kind words. Glad to have you here. :)

Any dried fruits would work for this recipe. I think they will be very pretty with dried cranberries and golden raisins for a jeweled effect. Do let me know how yours turned out.

Happy Holidays to you as well! :)

Trackbacks