Coconut Banana Ice Cream

Coconut Banana Ice Cream

January is the month we eat healthy foods so that we get a break from the sugar high and prepare ourselves for the next indulgence. Come mid February our diets are back to normal with cakes and chocolates. How about some ice cream? Fresh homemade ice cream with exciting blends and flavors are a real treat any time of the year, be it warm or cold outside.

Coconut and bananas are ingredients that are easily available year round, even up north here. These flavors help me dream of warmer climate ahead and remind me of a dessert I made recently with coconut milk known as Bubur Cha Cha. Sometimes bananas are added to this dessert although mine was without. Perhaps this Coconut Banana Ice Cream can be the creamier and frozen version of Bubur Cha Cha. ;)

Coconut Banana Ice Cream

This Coconut Banana Ice Cream is quite creamy even though there is coconut milk in the mix. All toppings are optional but highly recommended. Do give it a try.

Coconut Banana Ice Cream

Prep time
Cook time
Total time

Serves: 1 quart
  • 1½ cups (360ml) coconut milk
  • ½ cup (110g) sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • 2 medium sized bananas, sliced
  • 1½ cups (360ml) heavy cream
Toppings
  • Toasted coconut flakes
  • Chopped peanuts
  • Kahlua or maple syrup
  1. Combine coconut milk and sugar in a medium sized saucepan over medium heat. Do not cover but stir until sugar dissolves and coconut milk comes to a boil.
  2. Removed from heat. Add vanilla and bananas. Using an immersion blender, puree bananas until smooth.
  3. Blend in cream. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours.
  4. Pour chilled mixture into ice cream maker and churn until desired consistency, about 15 to 20 minutes.
  5. If you prefer a firmer consistency, transfer ice cream to a container and place in freezer for a couple of hours. Serve with desired toppings.
Notes
If you do not have an immersion blender, pour coconut mixture and bananas into a blender and blend till smooth.

Coconut Banana Ice Cream

Do not forget to join my CSN Giveaway opened until 9:00pm Central, Thursday, February 17th. Click here to enter.

Comments

1. says

Nice, Biren! I have to admit that I’ve never been much of an ice cream person. I’d eat this in a second though! A dessert with redeeming health qualities this treat is:-)

2. says

Haha, in February we are back to our normal sweets eating selves. So true, Biren! This sundae looks SO good… I ate a bunch of ice cream yesterday but could totally go for some more. It’s February, what can I say?

3. says

Oooh, a coconutty ice cream topped with coconut and finished with Kahlua? Yummy yumm yumms! You had me at coconut, Biren ;-) This looks delicious, and you picked such a perfect and beautiful bowl for this. I wish I had an ice cream maker.

4. says

Biren, I don’t think I’ve ever been as tempted by an ice cream flavor as I am by this one. Banana and coconut is right up my alley! And who says you can’t eat ice cream in the winter? I’ll definitely take a scoop of this!

5. says

I LOVE Bubur Cha Cha! I lived in Singapore for awhile which is where I discovered it. Love that you’ve used that as an inspiration for your gorgeous ice cream! Isn’t it funny that hitting a high of 40 can feel like a seasonal shift? We feel that too of late when it gets out of single digits!

• Biren says

Glad to hear that you found bubur cha cha. :) yes, it does feel different but the sad thing is that the temperature will drop again tomorrow. It is wet and messy right nw. Winter is getting old on me.

6. DongXing says

I like this very much, and so would my kids. Ice cream always work a treat in our house, no matter how cold outside!

• Biren says

Ice cream is definitely a treat and my boys love it too. This coco nana ice cream is all gone and I’ll have to try another flavor soon.

7. says

Now that you mention this ice cream do sounds like Bo Bo Cha Cha to me… Saw lots of blogger including using coconut cream or milk as ice cream as vegan options…keen to try but afraid that my husband and son might not like it…hmmm…

8. says

Biren, your comment on my site was so sweet and endearing, thank you. I love the tropical flavors of your sundae… It’s definitely a super yummy frozen version of bubur cha cha. My Sundae IIP post will be up soon, come back and have a taste!

Cheers,
    Maya

9. says

Hehe, you are SO right about everyone being on the straight and narrow in January, then back to our usual tricks in Feb ;)

This looks and sounds like a great recipe, and I love your photos. Those dishes are gorgeous!

10. says

The dish looks incredibly yummy and the photos are gorgeous. I have not seen your blog before, and it looks gorgeous, so now I am going to have to have a look around!

Trackbacks