Samosas are triangular shaped stuffed pastry snacks that are deep fried or baked. The filling is usually made up of spiced potatoes, onions, and peas. Sometimes a little ground beef, lamb, or chicken is added. Served with a little chutney or yogurt, it can be a very tasty and delicious light lunch.
I used up the remaining fillo pastry left over from making those Shanghai Style Pancakes. I made these Vegetable Samosas yesterday as a treat for my boys as it was the last day of their spring break. I had to make up for lost time as I was sick the previous weekend and most of last week (their spring break). It was a real bummer! Good thing the boys are old enough to keep themselves busy and occupied.
I love fillo pastry. It is a wonderful ingredient for many quick and easy snacks and desserts.
- ½ lb fillo pastry (about 16 to 18 sheets)
- Canola oil for brushing pastry
- 3 medium sized potatoes
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- 3 tbsp canola oil
- Scrub potatoes and boil in lightly salted water for about 30 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Drain and allow potatoes to cool slightly before handling. Peel and dice potatoes into ¼ inch cubes.
- Heat a large pan with oil. Add onions and fry till soft and translucent. Add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. When seeds start to sputter, stir in garam masala, coriander powder, and chili powder.
- Add frozen peas and cubed potatoes. Season with salt and stir to combine. Remove and allow filling to cool.
- Place one sheet of fillo pastry on a work surface. Brush lightly with oil. Fold into half lengthwise. Place 1½ to 2 tablespoons of filling at one corner. Fold a corner of pastry over filling to create a triangle. Continue folding until entire strip of pastry is used up and a triangular parcel is formed. Repeat until all filling is used up.
- Place seam side down on a lightly oiled baking tray and brush the tops of pastry parcels lightly with oil. Bake in a 350°F oven for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove and serve immediately.
These samosas are delicious eaten warm with Greek yogurt.
Enjoy…..and have a wonderful day! 😎